Thread: The Dead Linger [zombie survival video game]

UK

The Dead Linger [zombie survival video game]

Can't find any other threads for it so....

Don't know if anyone's playing this, but I've just bought into the alpha and I have to say it's pretty damn good.

What really kicks ass is its free-from barricade system – it just adds so much to the whole zombie survival experience, you can really invest in a proper defensible location rather than just holing up somewhere and hoping for the best. It's a persistent world too so you can do supply runs and bring it all back to safe house and stock up for the long haul. Items don't respawn though so eventually you'll clear out the town and have to start thinking about moving on – apparently it randomly generates a world about 64.000 km so there plenty of places to go!

Other cool things include headshot only kills, I believe they're going to add a dismemberment system so you can hack off limbs to slow them down. It's mostly shamblers too, there's a few fast ones but they seem few and far between. Zombies will stalk you if they see you - they hammer on doors and smash through windows too – proper Night style sieges with dozens climbing through trying to get at you - leading to rather panic stricken escapes through upstairs windows and out on to the roof! Great atmosphere too, really eerie music, feels more like a Romero apocalypse than most other games, it has a really nice bleak desolate feel to it which I'm enjoying it enormously. It's already hitting that sweet spot, I can't wait to see where they take it when they add crafting, vehicles and all the neat ideas they have. They say it's the zombie survival game you've been waiting for, and they're not far off, which is not bad going for an alpha. Can be played solo or multiplayer too, so, if you can deal with the alpha-stuff or just fancy a change from DayZ then it's well worth a punt.

Anyway, here's some screen shots of my rather shoddy constructions methods – barricade strength is determined by how well they're built – as you can see I'm pretty much doomed...

Can we fix it?

...Yes we can!

Well, sort of...

Looks like we got ourselves a free lunch...

Thinned out the zombie population to make it a bit safer - it works for once in a game!

Link to website: http://www.thedeadlinger.com/info

UK
    The Dead Linger - Night of the Living Dead Simulator!

They're coming to get you...

They won't stay dead!

I chopped all my trees down to make barricades.

Seriously though, keep a lookout for this game - this is the zombie apocalypse being done right, and dare I say it, this could be the one. I kid you not...

Developer Interview - explains things far better than I ever could, lol:

http://www.jumptogamer.com/indie-spo...e-dead-linger/
    Last edited by Rancid Carcass; 03-Jul-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Linkage

Administrator

England
    Interesting!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yeah, been playing around with it, the big engine change build - it's been a pretty bumpy transition but they're patching it almost everyday so it's clawing it way back to where it was in the previous build. Still pretty damn awesome though, warts and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KehTjmB-c3I

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Would love to support this project!! Looks like shit tho. I'll probably wait for awhile. But I will pick this up!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Yeah, been playing around with it, the big engine change build - it's been a pretty bumpy transition but they're patching it almost everyday so it's clawing it way back to where it was in the previous build. Still pretty damn awesome though, warts and all.
    So can you tell me why I should get this on the PC then?
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So can you tell me why I should get this on the PC then?
    Haha - that's the big question!

I'll start by linking the the roadmap so you can see what they've planned/done/working on. It's a pretty bold mission statement, but even if they only get half of what's on it in to the final game then it'll slaughter every other zombie survival game out there:

http://www.thedeadlinger.com/roadmap

From my point of view what I like about it:

The focus on traditional zombies. Their starting point is Romero/Kirkman/Brooks. I was worried that shamblers in an open world wouldn't really work – wide open space, slow enemy, you just run past them no problem. And you sort of do, you give it legs and run back to your base or whatever and carry on as usual. About ten minutes later when you're merrily barricading your doors and windows, you turn round just in time to see that group of zombies you thought you'd given the slip, about to tear you to shreds. This only has to happen a few times before it starts to make you really paranoid... The thing we talk a lot about on here is that sense of dread of the shambler rather than to boo scare of the runner – it's all true! Searching a house is one thing doing it while you can hear them banging on doors, and the windows smashing downstairs is quite another. And they do climb through broken windows to get you, it's unnerving to say the least. Complacency is the other big thing - it's easy to think you'll be fine then, before you know it, you find yourself surrounded and having to take emergency measures to escape. Oh, and head shot only kills.

The free-form Barricading system. Being able to barricade however you like is just amazing – you can do, (even at this early stage) pretty much whatever you want, from simply piling a ton of furniture behind a door and hoping for the best, to a full on Woodbury style safe haven – there's even a prison if you'd rather take the Rick Grimes approach. Also, the Barricades strength is determined by how well you build them so quick and dirty won't last as long as something you heavily fortified. They also plan to extend the free-form barricading to vehicles (free-form welding!), so you can cobble together your very own Dead Reckoning style battle bus.

It has some fantastic music – has that nice haunting quality you get from the opening titles on Night. Eerie as hell.

The size of the world is also pretty impressive, the fact that you can just take off in any direction and keep going almost indefinitely is quite a liberating feeling – really does make it seem like a proper epic apocalypse.

Perhaps, most importantly, the dev team are very open with the community, they address the concerns of the players and keep everyone pretty well informed about what's going on with the development process – what works, what's not working, what they're doing to fix it (sometimes with diagrams!), and what they plan on working on next. As I said in my previous post they're rolling out hotfixes at warp speeds, if something gets broke they're all over it pretty quick. We're all ready up to build 10g with a H and an I on the way.

I suppose with buying into an alpha you're buying into the promise of what it could be come. Right now it's going through a 'bumpy phase' but that's mostly down to switching the game engine which has created a few side effects. The main one right now is the frame rate, which varies quite wildly. At the moment I get everything from 110+ all the way down to 3 or 4. Sometimes it resolves itself other times it crashes. When it fires on all cylinders (or as many as an alpha can!), it does hit that sweet spot and it feels like there is nothing better.

If you can handle the ups and downs of an alpha build it's well worth a punt.

Administrator

England
    Sounds very interesting... I think I'll give it a little while and then probably jump onboard
    -Carl Sagan