Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Romero's "Day of the Dead" headed for remake...Again.

Great Britain

Romero's "Day of the Dead" headed for remake...Again.

Hey guys! Horrorella here...

The undead just keep biting. In the latest in Zombie-Flicks-That-Probably-Don't-Need-To-Happen, the LA Times is reporting that Lati Grobman and Christa Campbell, two of the producers behind TEXAS CHAINSAW 3D, have grabbed the rights to George Romero's 1985 zombie classic, DAY OF THE DEAD, and that it is the latest horror property headed for remake.

"But wait!" you might be asking. "Didn't we already have a mediocre DAY OF THE DEAD reboot just a couple of years ago?" I'm glad you asked that. We did, in fact, have a mediocre DAY OF THE DEAD reboot back in 2008 (in which producer Christa Campbell actually had a small role). But I guess it's been 5 years, so why not try again?

But hey, as Campbell noted, “Zombie movies are really popular right now, and we feel we could do this right.” So if it must be remade (yet again), maybe this will be the time we see it done well (or, as well as can be done, when the source material is considered to be such a classic). It sounds like they are at least aiming for the look and feel of the classic shambling zombies seen in the original.

"We want to keep it as close to the Romero version as possible," Campbell said, "to make sure that his fans are happy. These are not going to be zombies climbing walls and doing back flips like in 'World War Z."

So while they seem to be trying to distance themselves from WORLD WAR Z, I can't help but suspect that part of this decision was based on that flick's box-office take, and the simple equation of Zombies + Military = Profit that is almost certainly circling Hollywood right now.

Campbell and Grobman are currently holding meetings with possible writers to figure out the best way to adapt the story. Who knows? Maybe they will come up with a solid way to retell the story of scientists and military personnel and a zombie named Bub.

What do you guys think? Would you see a DAY OF THE DEAD remake?

Taken from AICN link here http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63201

Not sure why remake this again, the original is pretty much perfect and the remake was err bad so very very bad.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm positive. I hate the remake enough that this can't get any worse.

Super Moderator

United States
    This is crazy! The original post was made 17 minutes ago...how are there not 50 replies yet? I expect wailing and the gnashing of teeth, people!

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'm positive. I hate the remake enough that this can't get any worse.
    Fair point, Ned.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    ^

well, gotta admit, i still haven't seen the last remake (and probably never will, the trailer and horrid reviews i've read are quite enough, thank you), but i can't imagine that it would be any worse than the last attempt.

....unless it has zombies and people falling in love. or a big daddy-style bub who screams the top of his lungs every time he's on screen.

all kidding aside, i don't even acknowledge the 2008 shit-fest, so i'm keeping an open mind at this point and i'm not gonna make any real judgement till any footage/casting news/etc shows up.

i am, however, holding out hope that they use "hinzman hobblers" or shamblers and not sprinting dino-screeching "infected".

Undisclosed
    By the same company who raped Texas Chainsaw Massacre ...
    Wails! Gnashes teeth!

Administrator

England
    Well, this is going to be interesting!

For me Day of the Dead has blossomed as it's got older! It seems to have improved with age. It's definitely the darkness and most depressing of the Romero's flicks, and the best produced too IMHO.

Going to be fascinating to see a modern remake!

That said, with a budget of only $10m-$20m, they'll have to keep their belts tight! - http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...lease-20130710

I could watch the film just for the score! Epic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjP13o5HQ9A
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Day of the dead was my personal favourite of the original trilogy and the 2008 remake is one of the worse movies ive seen, only land of the dead ranks lower.

So yeah... this cant be as bad as the 2008 one but it wont be as good as the original either, but ill watch it

Administrator

England
    Can you imagine if they said they were aiming along the lines of Romero's original script? Thing is that would only mean anything (interest) hardcore Romero fans...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK

Bub ain't happy...

Leave it alone for crying out loud! You know how you "stick close" to Romero's film - leave it alone - the original is perfect as-is, it requires no remake. This will be a pointless waste of time ... and coming from the people who gave us TCM3D, in which a baby born in 1974 grew up to be in her late 20s by 2012, well shit...

The only point, the only shred of a point, in doing this would be to shoot GAR's original Day screenplay ... and even then I'd wager they'd screw it up with rappers who can't act, and lots of worthless sub-90210 fodder.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-Jul-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: grabahabababallbebbelagrargh...

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    This is crazy! The original post was made 17 minutes ago...how are there not 50 replies yet? I expect wailing and the gnashing of teeth, people!
    I'm so bleedin angry, I couldn't type.......
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Latvia
    Can't wait to see remake. If they're planning to make it as possible closer to original, then it's goint to be epic.
    P.S. still watching over and over Day of the Dead ;D

United States
    I'm not fanatically opposed to this if they do it right, which I doubt. I'd personally like to see more background on the characters and why they were sent there of all places and some scenes of society breaking down would be nice. Then again I know none of that will happen.

Administrator

England
    Given how well Rhodes and 'Frankenstein' were played, going to be hard to top them!
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wonder how they'll "adapt" Bub this time? It's hard to imagine anything more funny than Bud the vegetarian....

Hopefully this one will be as funny as the last.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Yes indeed, Bub was a work of genius too! Could have so easy have come across as daft, but Romero and Sherman Howard pulled it off brilliantly.

Also, wonder if we'll have any cameos?

And finally.... The new Captain Rhodes is...
    -Carl Sagan