Thread: My new idea!

Fresh Meat

Aaland

Cool My new idea!

so I have an idea for a zombie book i'm planning to start writing soon but first i'd like to just share my idea and hear your opinion. When I have written the prolugue, i'll post it here for you guys to review.

So basically, a new species of an insect is discovered. They're very rare and there ain't more than 50 of those insects.
    After a few tests, it is discovered that this bug produces a substance that is the key for the cure for cancer.
    So, he doctors start right away making a vaccine and the bugs are all being preserved, so they can reproduce.
    The press quickly get their hands on this scoop, and in a few days, the cure is everything that everybody talks about. It will save a ton of lifes.
    After the cure is ready, it is spread across the world and lots of pacients are healed and stop showing simptoms in a matter of days.
    Everyone is happy. The most important discovery in medicine has come.
    But, after a couple weeks, the pacients that were cured start showing a agressive behavior, and sometimes even getting the the mad instinct of murdering people.
    The Government handled it nicely at first, but it was milions that were cured by the vaccine. Apparently the vaccine was the one guilty for this mad behavior.
    To make things worst, those rare bugs disappeared. They were out on the loose and even spreading their substance and making more people going mad.
    The Government didn't care about the people anymore. The few survivors are on their own.

My book will focus on 7 survivors who don't know each other, and when the apocalypse goes to shit, they all reunite and must survive.

So this is my idea. Please be sincere, is it good, is it bad, is it interesting, and no hate ok?

P.S - I might have a few errors in my writing cuz I ain't from America, but I think u can understand it, have a good day bye!
    Last edited by callofgaming; 15-Jul-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: I want to add information

Undisclosed
    So no one around to give you some constructive feedback? Man, really sad state that the fiction forum has become these days...

But enough of my grumbling, let's do an assessment of your story cog. While adding a rare species of insect being the cause of the apocalypse, the concept of good intentioned science going horribly wrong isn't something new. However, don't let that dissuade you from writing your tale. I'm a firm believer that any idea, no matter how 'unoriginal' it may seem, can still be a ride of entertainment. Your primary focus should always be to have characters that are well fleshed out and enjoyable to read about for your audience.

Right now, I know that you have 7 survivors being thrown together, either right away or eventually. But that's all I know about. You have to show how they both rely on each other's strengths while at the same time carry each other through their weaknesses. (Because every human being has these traits)

I would advise you to be very rich in describing the overall atmosphere of this destroyed world. Simply saying 'ravaged and ruined landscape' isn't enough to draw me in. However, doing, "the charred hulks of wrecked vehicles littered the roadways, some with the smoldering remains of those who had been trapped inside when they crashed, and were now immortalized as lasting testaments to their driver's grisly demise". You get the idea, not blood and guts, but just enough description to let me visualize this scene of absolute devastation.

Another thing too, you need to be very clear on what kind of outbreak this is. Are these people zombies, or infected humans? That is very important, especially when going with the likely audience that you want to attract. Hope this helps you, and remember to keep writing. The more you do it, the better you will get at it.

Administrator

England
    "They're very rare and there ain't more than 50 of those insects." - I'd suggest not implying only 50... Seems to low to survive to be honest. One tree falls over and half the species is dead

As long as they're unique to a particular habitat in a particular place, that should do it. Add it some local tribal myths about their healing properties, and off you go
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Thanks for replying. It truly is a shame that there's almost 100 views on my post and only a couple of replies. But, I haven't written the book yet, and I posted here a short story (I think) just to practice my zed writing skillz. There's a few grammar errors (I have a good reason for it) but if you could check it out I'd aprecciate.

- - - Updated - - -

I just didn't thought about the number, but I think that's not really important right now.