Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (film)

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ...you do realise she has boobs?
    Wunder bewbs

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The answer to why bats and supes are having a scuffle seems to be stated quite clearly in the trailers, I'd say. Bats is concerned with supes having enough power to "burn the whole world down" and on the other hand, Supes does not agree with the violent vigilante Justice Bats is doing. This Batman is quite a bit different from all previous film versions of the character. We see in the trailers that he doesn't just subdue criminals, he causes real harm, nearly killing them. We see on one trailer that he's even burned and branded a criminal like cattle. He's old, he's already seen joker kill Robin, and he basically hates the world.

So of course by the end of the movie they'll both learn something about themselves from the opposite character and join forces for the greater good.

As for Batman stopping Supe's punch....that's kinda obvious isn't it? What's the one thing that weakens superman to having the same vulnerability as a human? It's seen in the trailers too....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm glad to see so many people are excited about this.
    But after Man of Steel being one of the worst films to come out of 2013, I don't really know what people are expecting. The trailer doesn't promise to deliver anything but polished trite - just like Man of Steel.

Super Moderator

UK
    I quite enjoyed Man of Steel ... I mean, yes, there were a few wobbly bits, and the gigantic smash-em-up at the end felt ridiculous. Now that smash-em-up feels less ridiculous as it actually propels the story of BvS, which I'd imagine they had in mind when writing MoS.

As for who'll win - it'll probably be a draw so no side gets pissed off. Or, yeah, they'll chum up in time for Justice League. Still, should be fun to watch.

Although, yeah, the new Captain America looks more interesting as a story and as viewers we're quite comfortable in the (now) long-running MCU so we can hit the ground running on that one.

Administrator

England
    DVD/Bluray will be 30mins longer with an R-Rating!? - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-M...on-119227.html

[The DVD version] is a half-hour longer, and some of that additional material is some of the stuff we took out for the rating. I was like, ‘Cool, I can put it back in for the director's cut.’ There was nothing by design. This was the material I just put back in, and then when [the MPAA] looked at it again, they were like, ‘Oh, now the movie's rated R.’ And, by the way, it's not a hard R. There's no nudity. There's a little bit of violence. It just tips the scale.
    ...just as long it's not half an hour of cartoon CGI people you don't give two hoots about bouncing about...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The internet nearly imploded when they first announced this R-rated cut about a month ago. People automatically assumed it was because of cursing, nudity, or gore, but they've made it perfectly clear that the MPAA gave the directors cut an R rating because of "prolonged physical violence". Basically they felt that it could potentially be frightening for children to see the fights continue for an extended amount of time and witness these iconic superheroes in physical pain.

Snyder's director cuts are often really well done(Watchmen), so I'll definitely swing for this rather than the theatrical cut.

Also as a fair warning.....there have been early screenings for BvS and highly detailed spoilers are on the net now, so be careful what you look at out there. One week to go and I've already cut myself off from any new footage or visiting any forums related to the franchise. Hopefully I can avoid any massive spoilers until Friday!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Snyder's director cuts are often really well done(Watchmen), so I'll definitely swing for this rather than the theatrical cut.
    I'll certainly agree with you on Watchmen - I found the extended director's cut to be the far superior version of the movie. I must give it another spin sometime soon, I'm getting an itch for it.

Not sure whether I'll be able to see BvS in the cinema as I go so rarely these days, but if I don't I'll certainly pick up the Blu-Ray.

Administrator

England
    Well, the early feedback seems to be +ve!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, the early feedback seems to be +ve!
    These days all professional reviewers are bought. You won't find a negative review in any of the big time newspapers.
    BvS is a time warner production. They won't allow a negative review to get printed in any of their newspapers.
    Likewise, other reviewers have an interest in giving these films a positive review as it keeps them getting invited to previews (which in turn generate readers since they can print early reviews).

So don't ever take any professional reviews at face value when the product they're pushing is something this big.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    These days all professional reviewers are bought. You won't find a negative review in any of the big time newspapers.
    BvS is a time warner production. They won't allow a negative review to get printed in any of their newspapers.
    Likewise, other reviewers have an interest in giving these films a positive review as it keeps them getting invited to previews (which in turn generate readers since they can print early reviews).

So don't ever take any professional reviews at face value when the product they're pushing is something this big.
    Oh yea of little faith

I tend to take these comment with a big pinch of salt. I read it as it's "OK", when I see "best film ever"...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    To be fair, there are also normal audiences seeing early screenings, including fan screenings they're doing today in true IMAX theaters across the US, and the reviews are coming in on the positive side. As Man of Steel was quite divisive, I've also seen quite a few reviews stating that they didn't like MOS, but thought BvS was a vast improvement. So maybe there's hope that they upped their game a bit.

On the other hand, a lot of the people that've seen it have said that that it may also ruffle some feathers and split audiences. Without spoilers, I've seen them saying that it may leave general audiences confused if they're not familiar with some of DC comics' story arcs. Having read this opinion several times now, I get the feeling that BvS may take a page from a certain 90's comic involving Doomsday. Which was probably a given when they revealed Doomsday in one of the trailers...
    Last edited by bassman; 21-Mar-2016 at 04:03 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I know jack-shit about Superman really, but I know exactly how this film is gonna pan out.

Administrator

England
    Reviews seem luke warm'ish - http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/b...oundup-7613176

All eyes back on Captain America then for a solid super hero film?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I haven't seen it. I'm still on the fence wether to or not. I know I'll hate it, but I did have a blast ripping on Man of Steel in the theater. So it could be worth it just to trash it.

But I agree with parts of that article. F*cking Man of Steel and the Dark Knight films treat the genre as if it's art. It's not. It's caped assholes fighting each other in ridiculous costumes. You need humour and jokes to be able to sit through it without actually laughing at the spectacle's expense.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I haven't seen it. I'm still on the fence wether to or not. I know I'll hate it, but I did have a blast ripping on Man of Steel in the theater. So it could be worth it just to trash it.

But I agree with parts of that article. F*cking Man of Steel and the Dark Knight films treat the genre as if it's art. It's not. It's caped assholes fighting each other in ridiculous costumes. You need humour and jokes to be able to sit through it without actually laughing at the spectacle's expense.
    I've always been more of a DC fan, but I personally think the two studios have a good thing going right now. Marvel films are semi-serious but more light-hearted while the DC films are taking a more "realistic" approach. I can certainly see why certain audiences would prefer one over the other, but I'm just glad there's a nice variety and it's not like the old days when it was only like two superhero films a decade.