Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (film)

Administrator

England
    Nope! Not going to see it...

AICN:-

The movie asks you to make many leaps of logic out of sheer convenience. Without getting into spoilers, Lois has the worst of these. She does things because the script needs her to do them so many times here, the worst of which is the retrieval of a weapon in a sequence where she could have no earthly idea that this particular item would do any good in the fight being waged.
    This sort of stuff does my head in on a good day! So I think it'll drive me nuts! Elements of this in Man Of Steel annoyed me, and by the sounds of it, this one's even worse!

So I'll skip it at the cinema
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've always been more of a DC fan, but I personally think the two studios have a good thing going right now. Marvel films are semi-serious but more light-hearted while the DC films are taking a more "realistic" approach. I can certainly see why certain audiences would prefer one over the other, but I'm just glad there's a nice variety and it's not like the old days when it was only like two superhero films a decade.
    True, variety isn't bad. And I don't really mind DC offering up something different. I mind it when people seem to think that there's anything to the DC films except a contrived attempt at drama.

United States
    Whatever on the critics, I loved the hell out of it. The theater was packed, btw. Can't wait to see what kind of money it makes. I'll even give Ben a pass on this one. I will just say that I can't wait to see what the future has on tap.
    Solid flick. Boner pants required.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Whatever on the critics, I loved the hell out of it. The theater was packed, btw. Can't wait to see what kind of money it makes. I'll even give Ben a pass on this one. I will just say that I can't wait to see what the future has on tap.
    So in comparison to Captain America 2 or Iron Man? Or the Nolan Batman flicks?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm with Ron, I don't know what those critics were really expecting. Because of the mediocre reviews I went in expecting a little bit of a let down but I really enjoyed it! My only negative thought was that it couldve been shortened down a bit and it kinda has that Return of the King problem with the ending. One ending after another. But in all those are really minor complaints and while I have a few others, like you would with any film, I'm really pleased with the film as a whole and very much looking forward to the rest of this DC cinematic universe!

Affleck and Gadot killed it as Batman/Bruce and Wonder Woman/Diana. Gadot's screen time is a bit limited, but her performance was up to par and man-oh-man she kicks ass fighting as WW. Eisenberg is also good as Lex, although it's obviously a version that hasn't been seen on film before.

After one viewing, I'd tentively give it a 7/10. Don't listen to these overly harsh critics and give it a shot on your own terms. At the very least you'll be entertained for two hours and curious about the future of DC films.
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Mar-2016 at 05:56 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So in comparison to Captain America 2 or Iron Man? Or the Nolan Batman flicks?
    Not a big fan of the last Batman movies, nor Iron Man, so yes there? And although I love the Captain, I'm going to have to say this kills compared to.
    Speaking of, they showed the new trailer for Cap' 3. Loved seeing it again, but didn't remember Antman in it before. Yay, as I love Paul Rudd.
    In regards to what Bassman said, maybe the shitty reviews helped. I didn't look at my phone at all, and time flew. I hope the Blu-ray is jam packed with awesomeness.
    Gush gush.

Administrator

England
    Not a big fan of the last Batman movies, nor Iron Man, so yes there? And although I love the Captain, I'm going to have to say this kills compared to.
    Speaking of, they showed the new trailer for Cap' 3. Loved seeing it again, but didn't remember Antman in it before. Yay, as I love Paul Rudd.
    In regards to what Bassman said, maybe the shitty reviews helped. I didn't look at my phone at all, and time flew. I hope the Blu-ray is jam packed with awesomeness.
    Gush gush.
    I believe rumours are the Bluray will be half an hour longer!?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I believe rumours are the Bluray will be half an hour longer!?
    Yes, there will be the theatrical cut and also an "ultimate cut", which is Snyder's director's cut with upwards of 30 minutes added back into the film. Including an entire character that was cut from the theatrical version.

If I were to compare it to those previous films you'd mentioned, I would say it's probably closest to Nolan's Dark Knight Rises. A good, enjoyable film, but still has its fair share of issues even if they don't detract from the overall experience. I enjoy the Iron Man films and I would say that BvS is a bit better than those, even if they're two totally different films tonally. That may also be a bit biased as I'm a DC comics' fan, but attempting to look at it objectively I would say they're at least on par with one another.
    Last edited by bassman; 26-Mar-2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    I'm with Ron, I don't know what those critics were really expecting. Because of the mediocre reviews I went in expecting a little bit of a let down but I really enjoyed it! My only negative thought was that it couldve been shortened down a bit and it kinda has that Return of the King problem with the ending. One ending after another. But in all those are really minor complaints and while I have a few others, like you would with any film, I'm really pleased with the film as a whole and very much looking forward to the rest of this DC cinematic universe!

Affleck and Gadot killed it as Batman/Bruce and Wonder Woman/Diana. Gadot's screen time is a bit limited, but her performance was up to par and man-oh-man she kicks ass fighting as WW. Eisenberg is also good as Lex, although it's obviously a version that hasn't been seen on film before.

After one viewing, I'd tentively give it a 7/10. Don't listen to these overly harsh critics and give it a shot on your own terms. At the very least you'll be entertained for two hours and curious about the future of DC films.
    OK... I'm off to see it tomorrow morning...

If I don't like it, I'm never talking to you two again! So there!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, found it bit messy, and generally just a bit mediocre overall...

Plenty of super duper bouncing around fights again, which just makes me almost cringe...

I certainly wouldn't consider it as solid as the Nolan Batman flicks or the likes of Captain America... IMHO.
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think we can all agree Affleck shut the haters down, right? I'll have to see it again before I can say it definitively, but I'm leaning toward saying he's the best Batman in movies yet.

...even if he does blatantly kill a thug or two...

I'm more pumped for the solo WW film, as well. I thought she was good in the role and I loved that she totally holds her own in the fight. There were females in the audience shouting and clapping when she enters the fight, and her pissed off warrior scream almost blew the ceiling off the cinema, so that was very pleasing...
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Mar-2016 at 03:34 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    I think we can all agree Affleck shut the haters down, right? I'll have to see it again before I can say it definitively, but I'm leaning toward saying he's the best Batman in movies yet.

...even if he does blatantly kill a thug or two...

I'm more pumped for the solo WW film, as well. I thought she was good in the role and I loved that she totally holds her own in the fight. There were females in the audience shouting and clapping when she enters the fight, and her pissed off warrior scream almost blew the ceiling off the cinema, so that was very pleasing...
    OH yeh... Affleck was fine...

As for WW... Seemingly destructible against a nigh on God... So I predict a lot more super duper bouncy fighting...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I found this hilarious.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0a3721819b4da

As for Ben Affleck being a capable Bruce Wayne, it's not really that difficult of a role. Anyone who doubted him were just gonna be hating for hating's sake.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ that's pretty damn funny!

What Cavill says in that real interview is spot on, though. The negative reviews don't really mean a thing in the grand scheme of things. At the end of the day it's how the fans respond to it and what numbers it brings in. Even with mixed fan reaction, it's going to be extremely profitable.

Although the numbers will clearly drop in its second weekend, it's obvious that the mixed reactions to BvS won't be a hinderence to the other films in the DC lineup. It's already made half a billion dollars worldwide in three days, so there are definitely more films coming, just hopefully they can improve on one another.
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Mar-2016 at 12:21 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Although the numbers will clearly drop in its second weekend, it's obvious that the mixed reactions to BvS won't be a hinderence to the other films in the DC lineup. It's already made half a billion dollars worldwide in three days, so there are definitely more films coming, just hopefully they can improve on one another.
    It's an incredibly frontloaded film. Even if it was a stinking pile of shit, it still would have been an amazing success financially. Remember, Man of Steel was pretty shit but it was still a success. All you need is a concept that you can sell.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    yeah, you keep repeating that as if everyone must share your opinion. There are plenty of people that do like these movies, you know....

- - - Updated - - -

A deleted scene that will be in the upcoming Blu Ray release of the ultimate cut. Spoilers for those that've yet to see the film....

So it looks like this scene will take place after the death of Superman, before we see Luthor in jail. I'm not sure what the creature is supposed to be, but it's holding mother boxes, which are what the villain darkseid sends throughout the universe. Luthor was warning Batman about Darkseid's arrival in that jail scene, so I'm assuming this creature is the one that told him about it all.

We also see that a mother box is responsible for the creation of Cyborg on Luthor's flash drive, plus multiple references to Darkseid in Batman's "Knightmare"(which I actually think was a look to the future rather than a dream), so this seems to go alittle further in explaining Luthor's fear and reaction in the cell with Batman.
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Mar-2016 at 04:47 PM. Reason: .