Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (film)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Trailer for the Ultimate Edition release with 30+ minutes extra footage: https://youtu.be/8AO19XY2rqc

Snyder says this is his preferred cut of the film, the studio just couldn't allow the length and extra bits of violence. There does seem to be quite a bit more, even entirely new characters that weren't in the theatrical cut at all. While I enjoyed the film, there's no denying that it has it's fair share of issues, so perhaps this will be an improvement? I've found Snyder's previous director's cuts to be better than the theatrical versions, so hopefully this will be the same. Digital download at the end of this month, Blu Ray on July 19th.
    This is the exact opposite of what the film needs, tho. They should rather release a 120 minute cut and remove the dreams, Lois Lanes' and Wonder Woman's plotlines. Maybe there's some extra material in there that can make sense of the main plot? Slap that in there.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've found Snyder's previous director's cuts to be better than the theatrical versions, so hopefully this will be the same.
    I certainly agree with that in regards to Watchmen. I saw it in cinemas in the theatrical cut, and then a couple of times since in the Director's Cut forward (a touch over three hours long, IIRC) on DVD - and the extended cut is far superior. It makes more sense and gives various plot strands the room to breath that it needed in the theatrical cut, but of course I understand why you can't have a film that long in cinemas ... perhaps he and his writers could use a lesson or two in more focused storytelling? Try not to cram everything into a single movie.

I've still not seen BvS, but I get the impression that it had a lot of weight and responsibility on its shoulders, trying to set up and launch the DCU ... perhaps not being enough of its own film and servicing future films too much?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Jun-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've still not seen BvS, but I get the impression that it had a lot of weight and responsibility on its shoulders, trying to set up and launch the DCU ... perhaps not being enough of its own film and servicing future films too much?
    Yes. There's entire scenes devoted to setting up future plotlines that have nothing to do with this film. One of the scenes is Wonder Woman sitting and watching Youtube videos of other possible superheroes. I'm not kidding.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    While yes, there is obvious foreshadowing to the future of DC on film, it's also not as bad as some make it out to be. It's maybe 90 seconds of a 2.5 hour film. It could have been handled differently, perhaps as a post credit sequence, but it's not a deal breaker, IMO.

The film no doubt has its issues, but it also has some really fantastic moments and is an enjoyable film as a whole. It had huge expectations to live up to and also seems to be the cool-to-hate flick whole Civil War is hailed as a masterpiece. I see no reason why fans have to pick one comic franchise over another, but they always do. Personally, I found both of these versus films to have the same outcome. I enjoy having both...

Ireland
    I just think there's a bit of silly, petty, tribalism going on with this nonsense. The whole DC vs Marvel drivel has me scratching my head. But there it is. It's remarkably absent from the actual comic fans that I know though.

On the whole, I though BvS wasn't bad and actually much more enjoyable than I expected, but I kind of like miserable Superman and fuck you Batman. I'm in a very small club, but whatever. The rest of the 'Justice league' I can leave off TBH, but I'll probably check them out at some stage.

Superhero movie fatigue though...big time. I'm just sick of them.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The extended cut is now available for digital download. As with Snyder's past director's cuts, I feel like this is the most complete version of the film. Several issues are corrected and even expanded upon, but there are still quite a few issues. Does it deserve an r rating? Probably not. One f-bomb is dropped, which kinda felt strange, and the violence is definitely taken up a few notches, but touting the film as an R-rated edit feels more like a marketing gimmick. You can tell this is Snyder's intended version, just forget the rating nonsense. If they'd let him release this version theatrically, it may have helped please more of the audiences.

Super Moderator

UK
    The extended cut is now available for digital download. As with Snyder's past director's cuts, I feel like this is the most complete version of the film. Several issues are corrected and even expanded upon, but there are still quite a few issues. Does it deserve an r rating? Probably not. One f-bomb is dropped, which kinda felt strange, and the violence is definitely taken up a few notches, but touting the film as an R-rated edit feels more like a marketing gimmick. You can tell this is Snyder's intended version, just forget the rating nonsense. If they'd let him release this version theatrically, it may have helped please more of the audiences.
    I recall a comment by Snyder, IIRC, regarding the "R rating" around about the time of Deadpool kicking ass in cinemas, and he essentially saying that it wasn't a load of naughtiness added in, just that the rating had been upped by the MPAA because the violence was now "more intense". So seems like it was just enough to notch it above a PG-13, and there's nowhere else to go but R.

Although I'm sure the marketters are using that "R" to their full advantage in the wake of Deadpool, even though it's not really what they're claiming it to be in that regard.

I've still not seen BvS, but when I do, it'll likely be in this extended version. I might pick up the Blu-Ray.

I remember seeing the extended version of Watchmen and feeling that it definitely made more sense, and flowed better, than the theatrical cut. It just gave more room to breathe for the whole thing.

Now ... did BvS need to be as long as it is? Frankly, no, but they seem to have tried to cram an awful lot into it in order to set up future movies.

I'll report back with my findings when I finally do get around to seeing BvS.

Super Moderator

UK
    So, the extended cut got an "R" in America ... well, it's been rated in the UK now, and it's a very different picture. I've had a bit of a rant about the situation:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...d-version.html