Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (film)

United States
    *checks calendar*.........hmmmm, not even close to april......

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    The general consensus, at least in my general neck of the internet woods, is that this sucks balls, and that no one wants to see it happen.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    Reckon we are going to get a Matt Damon as Robin appearance aswell?
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 23-Aug-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: ..........

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    And the new Batman is.......ready for it? Ben Affleck
    Bit too clean cut

But the guy can act, so maybe he can pull something out of the bag!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Last edited by Trancelikestate; 23-Aug-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: ...

Super Moderator

UK
    Geez, what's with the Affleck hate?

I reckon the guy will do a good job. When he was Daredevil he was saying yes to every damn movie that came his way practically, but that was a decade ago and he's changed a lot in his approach to his work and rediscovered his mojo with the acting/directing combo. He'll be aware of how bad his chum Clooney did in the role, so he'll be wanting to avoid that - Affleck's got good acting chops (he just squandered them a bit for a few years a decade-or-so ago), but he's always done good work throughout - look at Hollywoodland, The Town, Argo, Good Will Hunting etc.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    The general consensus, at least in my general neck of the internet woods, is that this sucks balls, and that no one wants to see it happen.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    +1

Ben Assflick as Batman? Christ sake...
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I'm sorry but that song is totally easing the shock of the news for me. HAHA! I'll just watch the movie and pretend it's someone else kinda like the idea someone had to dub the Bale movies with Conroy's voice. Then I'd prob like those too haha!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm not hating on Affleck, it's just a decision I didn't see coming. I agree with MZ that he made some poor choices in the 90's, but he's really come into his own in recent years.

They're obviously going with an older Batman, so i'm wondering if this film is drawing inspiration from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. Thinking of the way Batman looked in that release, Affleck is certainly close to the look. As of now, i'm giving Affleck the benefit of the doubt. I think now that he's had time to grow as an actor and director he'll bring something worth seeing to the table. Let's not forget that Heath Ledger was "a pretty boy" and "gay cowboy" that could in no way bring The Joker to the big screen. Yeah....we all know how that turned out....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm (surprisingly) with Bassman here. I'm hoping for another Heath Ledger/Joker shocker. Not too many had belief in that casting when it was announced either, but Heath Ledger did a complete turnaround and just surprised everyone by not bringing his usual style. Something similar might happen here.

However, I'm not so sure I think Ben Affleck is that "old", as people seem to be referring to an "older" Batman. He's only 2 years older than Christian Bale.

EDIT: Also holding out for Bryan Cranston as Lex Luthor
    Last edited by EvilNed; 23-Aug-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: BR

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    However, I'm not so sure I think Ben Affleck is that "old", as people seem to be referring to an "older" Batman. He's only 2 years older than Christian Bale.
    Well....not necessarily OLD old, just an older actor to be jumping into the franchise that they plan on continuing for years to come. I figured they would want someone younger so that they could have more movies with him. For example, I believe Henry Cavill(Superman) is only 30. I'm guessing Affleck is somewhere in his early to mid 40's? Add to the fact that Affleck has grey hair in recent years and when the announcement was made at comic con, they used a quote directly from The Dark Knight Returns, I was thinking they were intentionally going with a.....i'll put it this way....a more experienced Batman.

Undisclosed
    The controversy this whole thing is causing on the internet vs. the general apathy towards Hack snyder 'directing' another one of these films is frankly startling.
    Last edited by krisvds; 23-Aug-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Huffington Post posted a pie chart that made me laugh.

I must admit....I would rather see a Steve Buscemi Batman than Ben Affleck.

Super Moderator

UK
    Some fair points on why the web fury is misplaced:
    http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...181519151.html

1. Nolan seems to know what he's doing. If you would give the benefit of the casting doubt to any producer, you would give it to the filmmaker behind arguably the greatest Batman movie of all, "The Dark Knight." (That is, you would do this if you weren't on a certain social media site...)

2. Twitter is not exactly known for its calm, reasoned thinking. It's time to take a breath, a step back and perhaps a visit to a site with a more level-headed approach to matters of global import. You know, like, Reddit. (And, seriously, the Affleck discussions on Reddit read a tad less doom-y and gloom-y.)

3. Affleck wouldn't implode his career twice. The man cried at the Oscars. He knows where he was after "Gigli." He knows he climbed out of an abyss. He did not just announce his plan to star in "Daredevil 2" or "Surviving Christmas: New Year's Eve."

4. At first glance, name-brand stars rarely seem right as superheroes. And that's why the likes of Christopher Reeve, Henry Cavill and, to a degree, Christian Bale, who was well-known, but not Affleck-well-known, work so well in capes —it takes less effort for us to suspend our disbelief. Believe this: If Twitter was around when Michael Keaton was cast as Tim Burton's Batman, things would've gotten just as overheated. (Exhibit A: A 1988 letter to the Los Angeles Times, "Mr. Mom as Batman?") Lesson learned: Try to reserve judgment until you actually see the film (or at least the teaser clip at Comic-Con).

5. Affleck isn't the Affleck of old, he's old now. By which we mean he's 40-plus —41, to be exact, as of today. This makes him easily the oldest actor to be cast as an on-screen Caped Crusader, and this makes the choice interesting. The age factor also makes Affleck a good fit (and foe) for Cavill, who although a relative youngster of 30, put the "man" back in Superman in "Man of Steel." In any case, there's enough here to warrant a let's-see-what-we-got-here approach.

6. You should've seen this coming. The fanboy press was reporting on Affleck's possible Batman ambitions as far back as the Oscars. Really, some of you should've worked through your "NOOOO" phase by now.

7. Two words: Robert. Pattinson. Don't laugh, don't scoff and don't go off on how the "Twilight" movies sucked. The "Twilight" franchise was a phenomenon—it worked and it worked, in part, because of Pattinson, who, oh, by the way, was the subject of petitions and the cause of much hair-pulling and exclamation point-using when he was cast as Edward Cullen. The Pattinson example could be swapped out here for any other number of casting outrages that turned out just fine (i.e,. Vivien Leigh in "Gone With the Wind," Tom Cruise in "Interview With the Vampire," and, yes, Keaton in Batman). Your first impression is not always right. In fact, sometimes it's quite wrong.

United States
    %
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Some fair points on why the web fury is misplaced:
    http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...181519151.html
    Disagree with 3, 5, & 6.

My wife filled me in enough on Twilight for me to make the choice to avoid the saga altogether so can't really comment on 7.

However, The article's author seems to believe that none of us are entitled to our own opinions. "Your first impression is not always right. In fact, sometimes it's quite wrong." While this statement can sometimes ring true for anyone....It still doesn't strip me of my right to make my own judgment call. Saying that my opinion is wrong or could be wrong....doesn't make it wrong.

Ben Affleck "might" make a good Batman....BUT....I can't see him pulling off Bruce Wayne at all.

The only thing the article got right in my opinion is #1. If Ben Affleck even does a "decent" job... 95% of the credit should be Nolan's just because I don't think Affleck can even attempt to compete with Christian Bale as Bruce....and certainly not Bale's Batman.

- - - Updated - - -

New thought:
    Maybe, it is Nolan that wanted the challenge! "HEY! What if Ben Affleck was Batman?!?!" certainly sounds like a drunken dare to me. Perhaps Nolan accepted?
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 24-Aug-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: ......

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post

Ben Affleck "might" make a good Batman....BUT....I can't see him pulling off Bruce Wayne at all.
    Alfred would have a hell of a time pulling him away from gazing at himself lovingly in the mirror. I saw that sucky Town movie, where he's getting his workout on, always flexing it up.
    "Look at my sweeet abs."
    Ugh and barfola.
    Sorry, guys, I just hate him. I also don't think he's all that great as an actor, or that Argo was anything but a snoozefest, etc...
    Some fool on fb said it was better than when they had Mr. Mom donning the duds. I wasn't a fan of that either.
    They still have gotten it all wrong. When I read this was coming, I was on cloud 9, 10, and 11. Then Bale offered $50 million, I could live with that. Now Ass-fleck spooging all over this with his hammy acting.
    Unless they pull him, I'm done with it. I am, however lol'ing at all the petitions and such going around. I guess there's that.