Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (film)

Administrator

England

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (film)

As long as it's more towards he Batman films in script quality, and less like the Man Of Steel film is vapid CGI action, I'll be happy - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Batma...ase-38630.html

On the heels of the worldwide success of “Man of Steel,” director Zack Snyderis bringing together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time—Batman and Superman—for the first time on the big screen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23394229

Superman and Batman are to appear in the same film for the first time, it has been revealed, to the delight of many fans of the popular characters.

The surprise announcement was made by Zack Snyder, who directed the most recent Superman film Man of Steel.

But speaking at a comic convention in San Diego, California, Mr Snyder said the script was still being written.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    directed by Zack Snyder ...
    Don't get your hopes up. The guy has a reverse Midas touch

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    I Dont get the hate for snyder at all, ive really enjoyed alot of his movies included man of steel.

Very excited about this one tbh!

United States
    Man, I can't wait! Andale, numero dos!!!

Super Moderator

United States
    He does okay with solid source material, but nuance is certainly not his strong suit. This is better than a Superman film (they mostly suck) and another solo Batman film (they really need to give Bats a rest).

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    He does okay with solid source material, but nuance is certainly not his strong suit. This is better than a Superman film (they mostly suck) and another solo Batman film (they really need to give Bats a rest).
    Not always: Dawn of the dead and '300' really didn't work for me. He didn't get anything about Dawn, turning it into a dumb action spectacle and nothing more. And 300 was without soul, just pretty pictures and slow motion flash.

The problem is that when you work with truelly great source material turning out something that is okay, like with Watchmen, that just isn't good enough. Watch that film and then read any episode of the original comic. The film is like postcards from something truelly good.

I don't want an okay reinterpration of the Dark Knight Returns by mr. Snyder. I want something great worthy of the source material. Or even better: I want Hollywood to keep their greedy filthy little hands of great comic books to appease the easily hyped 'geek' community and make tons of money with sub par 'products'. I'll just read the comics.
    Last edited by krisvds; 22-Jul-2013 at 05:51 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I Dont get the hate for snyder at all, ive really enjoyed alot of his movies included man of steel.

Very excited about this one tbh!
    The Watchmen, was a good flick.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Not always: Dawn of the dead and '300' really didn't work for me. He didn't get anything about Dawn, turning it into a dumb action spectacle and nothing more. And 300 was without soul, just pretty pictures and slow motion flash.

The problem is that when you work with truelly great source material turning out something that is okay, like with Watchmen, that just isn't good enough. Watch that film and then read any episode of the original comic. The film is like postcards from something truelly good.

I don't want an okay reinterpration of the Dark Knight Returns by mr. Snyder. I want something great worthy of the source material. Or even better: I want Hollywood to keep their greedy filthy little hands of great comic books to appease the easily hyped 'geek' community and make tons of money with sub par 'products'. I'll just read the comics.
    Amen.

I don't know why Snyder keeps getting a pass from a lot of people. As far as I'm concerned, he's little better than Michael Bay. All bish, bash, bosh and not much else behind it.

I cringe when I hear his name attached to anything.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... let's see:

Yawn04 - a load of bullshit.
    300 - it would have been 15 minutes long without all the incessant slow-mo ... seen it once, have little desire to see it again.
    Watchmen - now this one I really enjoyed, particularly in the extended director's cut.
    That owl movie - never watched it, don't care one jot about it.
    Sucker Punch - a load of bullshit.
    Man of Steel - not seen it.

Flashy visuals are his thing, but even with that he's created a cliche of his own style ... anything beyond that? He really struggles usually - just look at Sucker Punch, which was all his own work.

Super Moderator

United States
    Well, I think he Did fine with Dawn, whose source material was only used in the basest sense. It was a straight forward cover of zombies+survivors+mall and not an attempt for anything more ambitious, nor did I feel it needed to be. 300 stank, but the source material, while a cool one-off read wasn't much to write home about.

The problem is that when you work with truelly great source material turning out something that is okay, like with Watchmen.
    No problem with the film version, even as a long time fan of the source material. In fact, I could probably only come up with quibbles, and I even feel parts of the ending work better in the film.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Yeah dawn'04 was a hell of alot better than romeros last 3 efforts so quit bitching, its getting old already

300 was alright, not great but ok.

Watchmen was good i thought.

Man of steel was spectacular, i really honestly really enjoyed it.

Snyder really isnt a bad director in my book, to call him a hack or to put him on.. say ewe bolls level is just bitchy fanboyism imho, i also like how if you listen to his commentaries, he dosnt take himself too seriously and is willing to make fun of his own work, alot less talented or successful directors take themselves FAR too seriously and cant handle criticism at all.

For that reason alone, pat on the back, zack

Ireland
    ...and a kick in the bollocks for 'Sucker Punch'
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    he dosnt take himself too seriously and is willing to make fun of his own work, alot less talented or successful directors take themselves FAR too seriously and cant handle criticism at all.

For that reason alone, pat on the back, zack
    There is little to no humour to speak of in his movies for someone who doesn't take himself too seriously. The first things that came to mind when thinking of the films he directed are 'bombastic' and 'serious'.
    Man of Steel in particular suffered from this. (the unintentional comedy of Kevin Costner being swallowed up by that hurricane doesn't count).

He can shoot pretty pictures though. No question there. Those first teaser trailers of Man Of Steel looked really good ...
    But i don't feel anything when watching his films. The guy has to pile explosions upon mass destruction to wow his audience. It just doesn't work like that. None of those big moments are earned when the characters in it leave you cold. At least that's what it feels like to me. I find all of his films boring beyond belief for this reason.
    Last edited by krisvds; 23-Jul-2013 at 07:11 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Zack Snyder's films are all really, really stupid. Dawn included. Man of Steel was complete crap.

Watchmen is his only solid outting.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Zack Snyder's films are all really, really stupid. Dawn included. Man of Steel was complete crap.

Watchmen is his only solid outting.
    I still rate 300 personally; Does exactly what it sets out to pretty well IMHO. Watchmen was pretty good to.

While I wouldn't say MoS was crap, I would just say it was generally unnecessarily busy and bloated, and just a bit dull and soulless. I'm fearful of more of the same with this Batman and Superman film
    -Carl Sagan