Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The "Land" AFTER "Day" debate... an old topic, but some things to consider

Ireland
    I think you're giving Rhodes an overinflated benefit Trin.

The guy is clearly the "bad guy" of the film. He's not some misunderstood chap that nobody gets. He's a total cunt of the highest order and absolutely instrumental in the breakdown of the bunker. From the second he's on screen he's an antagonist. Sure, he may have some points to make and the soldiers job of rounding up zombies and corral operations are extremely dangerous, but those are the duties they were assigned.

I don't think the he just interpreted orders differently than Cooper. He saw his "promotion" as a way to enforce his will, at the end of a gun. He threatens to shoot Steele, after threatening to shoot Sarah. He makes a threatening rapacious signal towards her too. He institutes hiw own version of martial law and says that anyone not following his "orders" will be shot (I'm assuming that that threat is not limited to the scientists).

There not the actions of a reasonable man, or a man that's deserving a command situation of any kind. He's clearly not that smart either, as his plan to get out of the bunker is quite rightly countered by Logan's "where would you go?", to which he has no answer. Even though Sarah, Billy and John get out to some unknown island, which is probably a matter of luck.

Shutting down the operation would have meant what though? As far as they knew, that was it for them. What would they have done? You're correct that the scientifc groups work was largely worthless, but as Sarah said they were doing all that was left to do.

If Rhodes couldn't see Sarah's face he certainly heard her saying "oh my god...", clearly indicating that she was horrified at what she was witnessing. Rhodes is not justified in executing anybody. He has no sanction to do so, except under his own delusions. In any case, Logan was feeding Bub with dead flesh. It's not as if he was hearding live soldiers into the mouths of zombies. Rhodes may have been correct in displaying his objections to Logan's actions and in fact he would have everybody on his side. But by that stage he's not interested any more. He simply wants to get out of the bunker and he'll do it in any way he sees fit, including cold blooded murder.

Rhodes may have been correct on a couple of items, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Scotland
    I really don't see Rhodes as having any redeemable traits at all. His claim about being concerned about his men is a complete fallacy. One example which springs to mind is that he's willing to put Miguel's life on the line purely because of his jealousy over the relationship with Sarah. I'd even go as far as saying he wants Miguel dead.

Maybe I'm being extreme but Rhodes unleashes the sadist within, pure and simple. After shooting Fischer, IMO he forces Sarah and McDermott into the Zed infested caverns in order to maximize and delight in John's suffering, (aside from driving the plot and ultimately allowing them to survive) it fits perfectly with the revelation that Rhodes is the real monster of the movie.
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 10-Sep-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: addition
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto Vivente View Post
    I really don't see Rhodes as having any redeemable traits at all.
    True! But you got to love the guy
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yup.....You either love to hate him, or hate to love him.
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

<-------------------------------
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....