Thread: The Apartment scene in "Dawn" - What do you think happened in there?

Fresh Meat

Aaland

Question The Apartment scene in "Dawn" - What do you think happened in there?

During the apartment scene in "Dawn", the one in which Wooly is killed in front of, Roger and the two other SWAT guys enter and find 3 zombies - 1 with his foot cut off in the kitchen and two others in a separate room. The black guy zombie, "Figaro" I think his name is(?), was obviously the husband/boyfriend of the lady whom ended up getting bit by him in the other apartment after this scene. I think maybe Figaro went to visit a friend in this apartment and got bit? And the guy with the missing foot also got bit but was trying to cut it off because he was trying to stop the infection?

I don't know about the black lady zombie with the big 'fro. What's everyone think?

Would have been interesting to see what exactly happened in there before Wooly busted that door open. And why did the chief or Sgt. guy yell to Wooly "Not that room, not that room!"? Did he go in that room before Wooly went bonkers and saw the bodies on the floor?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by nycbsn View Post
    During the apartment scene in "Dawn", the one in which Wooly is killed in front of, Roger and the two other SWAT guys enter and find 3 zombies - 1 with his foot cut off in the kitchen and two others in a separate room. The black guy zombie, "Figaro" I think his name is(?), was obviously the husband/boyfriend of the lady whom ended up getting bit by him in the other apartment after this scene. I think maybe Figaro went to visit a friend in this apartment and got bit? And the guy with the missing foot also got bit but was trying to cut it off because he was trying to stop the infection?

I don't know about the black lady zombie with the big 'fro. What's everyone think?

Would have been interesting to see what exactly happened in there before Wooly busted that door open. And why did the chief or Sgt. guy yell to Wooly "Not that room, not that room!"? Did he go in that room before Wooly went bonkers and saw the bodies on the floor?
    Nice idea. Can imagine a nice little 5min fan made video of this... ie: Explaining what happened leading up to what we see in the film.

As regards, "the guy with the missing foot also got bit but was trying to cut it off because he was trying to stop the infection," I don't see that. I suspect the idea was he was killed and is just happened his foot was eaten and ultimately ripped off. Great scene though isn't it when he's crawling across the floor!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I always thought the lady with the 'fro zombie was way too spry! I mean, she was pretty quick in her movements and seemed to be a handful to handle, physically.

United States
    My take always was that the apartment was one of the places that they were stashing loved one zeds, perhaps ones that were already up & walking vs the basement, where the put the ones that dies before they had a chance to rise. Footless dude looked like he got it gnawed off. Fro chick was hungry, hence the speed & aggression. Miguel ("Miguel! Migaltio! Me vida!" ie "Figaro") was just one of the ones shoved in there. Sargent "Not That Room!" seemed like a beat/patrol cop, & had been tipped off by one of the residents.

My theories anyway.

England
    One of my favourite scenes. The Argento cut is quite a bit different from the Theatrical version if I remember correctly.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Neil, yes a great and tense scene indeed, especially when footless dude is chasing the SWAT guy across the floor in the dining area, very claustrophobic feel.

Moon, I never thought of it that way. I always thought the dead ones were all stored in the basement period and that apartment was just a case of "wrong place, wrong time" for Miguel. Now that I think about it, perhaps the apartment belonged to 'fro chick, because Miguel didn't belong there and footless dude got his foot torn off by somebody. So maybe he and footless went to check on 'fro chick in her place to make sure she was alright and she attacked both of them?

By the way, I don't recall, but did Miguel and 'fro have any wounds/bite marks on them?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by nycbsn View Post
    By the way, I don't recall, but did Miguel and 'fro have any wounds/bite marks on them?
    The frizzy haired chick had facial damage IIRC, but I don't remember any visible wounds on Miguel.

Good theory on how Miguel + either of the other two ended up there. Could have been either of their places, 2 concerned neighbors go to check on the 3rd &...

Now that I think of it, with Miguel being the only one with no visible wounds, perhaps he's visiting neighbor #1, has a heart attack or stroke etc., drops dead, turns attacks him/her, another neighbor stops by, & he/they take them out as well.

Would explain why the other two were noshed on a bit, but not him.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 03-Sep-2013 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Pontification...sounds dirty.

United States
    I always focus on the fact that it looks like a young Denis Leary playing the rookie SWAT officer...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    I always focus on the fact that it looks like a young Denis Leary playing the rookie SWAT officer...
    And now the rest of us will too... thank you.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    My take always was that the apartment was one of the places that they were stashing loved one zeds, perhaps ones that were already up & walking vs the basement, where the put the ones that dies before they had a chance to rise. Footless dude looked like he got it gnawed off. Fro chick was hungry, hence the speed & aggression. Miguel ("Miguel! Migaltio! Me vida!" ie "Figaro") was just one of the ones shoved in there. Sargent "Not That Room!" seemed like a beat/patrol cop, & had been tipped off by one of the residents.

My theories anyway.
    Absolutely correct, imo.