Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trance's Ghostbusters Costume Thread

United States

Trance's Ghostbusters Costume Thread

Well, I started this about a year ago I suppose when I first bought the matty ghost trap. Then I got the PKE meter, and the ecto goggles when they were released recently. I really want to get this thing together before Halloween so I can win all my $ back haha. Then I spent the night on eBay finding the rest of the costume that I need. I now have every part of the costume either here or still on the way except a proton pack. I plan on purchasing the Bob's prop shop ultimate DIY proton pack kit and later adding the lights and sounds. I have a flight suit with all the patches and leg hose on the way along with a belt with all the gizmos. Can't wait till that stuff gets here. For now, this is what I have.

All three Matty props that have been released thus far:

Elbow pads and gloves (the elbow pads look much lighter in this picture than they really are):

I found some real nice Corocan 1500 paratrooper boots (no side zippers but hey, I don't care!)

And these are the radio accessories I have thus far. Stubby antenna and holster (not leather but still very nice)

The radio is supposed to arrive today or tomorrow and the flight suit with belt and gizmos in another week or two. What's sad is I've already put over $1,000 dollars into the costume so far and at least another thousand for a good pack with lights and sounds. But some of the costume contests around here have one thousand dollar grand prizes! So, hopefully if I win 2 I get my $ back. If not, I still have an awesome costume to wear to cons and make people drool. []

Edit: Just got the radio.
    Last edited by Trancelikestate; 05-Sep-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: ...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Duuuuude.....do NOT buy a pack from Bob's prop shop! He does horrible castings and they're actually re-castings from other fans' hard work. That's a total no-no in the prop community. The guy is the biggest douchebag of the Ghostbusters community. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. If you want to get a quality pack shell, look at GBfans.com's forums. I think GBFans is currently selling a shell in their store, actually. I've actually got a spare X71(a bit of searching and you'll see its one of the best) shell from a few years back that I'd be willing to pack up and send your way immediately. I'd only ask for what I originally paid for it. Also a spare Alice Frame and a few other odds and ins to get you near completion.

As for everything else, it's looking good. Unfortunately I missed out on Matty's ecto goggles, but have the PKE and trap. They're not perfect, but for operating "adult collector" props they're really nice.
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Sep-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: .

United States
    I appreciate that. To be honest I'm a bit put off by the whole attitude around the GBfans forums and such. I don't know why there has to be such cut throatness around there. The kit itself looks pretty nice and has a lot of good feedback. I realize it a taboo thing to do as far as they go but have you seen any of the shells in real life? I have a friend who has one and he says it's very nice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting your advice. I'd like to learn more. I'd be surprised if Mattel does not release a second batch of goggles. They're kinda fun. They remind of the late 90's VR. At least in one eye.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    I appreciate that. To be honest I'm a bit put off by the whole attitude around the GBfans forums and such. I don't know why there has to be such cut throatness around there. The kit itself looks pretty nice and has a lot of good feedback. I realize it a taboo thing to do as far as they go but have you seen any of the shells in real life? I have a friend who has one and he says it's very nice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting your advice. I'd like to learn more. I'd be surprised if Mattel does not release a second batch of goggles. They're kinda fun. They remind of the late 90's VR. At least in one eye.
    Yeah, I actually stopped participating on the GBfan forums a while back because of some of their attitudes, but it's still the best place to get feedback and the best parts. No, I haven't seen one of Bob's shells in person but ive seen enough pictures and heard enough from people that would know to know that it's really not worth the time or effort. If you're wanting something quick and dirty for Halloween or a con with the intention of selling it later, sure....go for it. If you want something you can keep and be proud of for many years to come, avoid it.

United States
    That's a good way to put it. I'm curious though about the exact inventory of items you may have that you would be willing to part with and the price. Send me a PM perhaps. I was also looking at the "mighty" light and sound kit available on eBsay. Heard anything about that kit or it's maker? The attitude on the forum suggests bias feedback. It's ok, I still have plenty of time to make a decision.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's a good way to put it. I'm curious though about the exact inventory of items you may have that you would be willing to part with and the price. Send me a PM perhaps. I was also looking at the "mighty" light and sound kit available on eBsay. Heard anything about that kit or it's maker? The attitude on the forum suggests bias feedback. It's ok, I still have plenty of time to make a decision.
    Sure. I'll look through everything I have and shoot you a PM when I get home. I don't have any light or sound kits at the moment, though. I believe the spares I have are the shell, alice frame, motherboard(cut it myself from a construction sign, so it may not be up to your wishes), parts for the pack like the HGA, Booster Tube, lenses, clippard valves, clippard tubes, colored lenses, sticker set, split and unsplit loom, etc. I'll check it out and get back with you.

BTW....I'm sure you've seen it and it doesn't help you out for Halloween, but Matty is selling the Neutrona wand at the end of the year. Doesn't look too bad, either. Might be the closest prop they've made so far.
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Sep-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Indeed I have. Can't wait for that. I went ahead and picked a pack up on eBay for a decent price. Got the whole costume together now. Check it out!

My flight suit:

Belt with all the gizmos but no props:

A few of the pack itself. It has a nice weathered finish (the booster/injector tubes are a bit short but I plan on replacing them):

Lights already installed but no sound yet.

And everything together:

Last edited by Trancelikestate; 24-Sep-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: .....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Very nice, dude!

I'm gonna be a nerd and say that because your pack and suit are in the style of the original film....they didn't have the lifeguards on their belts until GBII.
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Sep-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Which of the ghostbusters was a rasta?
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 24-Sep-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Well, this could be a long story, but to keep it short, I made my post, and when I looked at it, it didnt seem friendly enough, so I went back in and edited it to add a little smiley face, to illustra

United States
    Thanks. I was wondering about that haha. It's actually a GB2 pack but not for long.

Philly, that's very stereotypical. Maybe I'm a metalhead or something?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Thanks. I was wondering about that haha. It's actually a GB2 pack but not for long.
    Well.....kind of a hybrid I suppose, but one of the most distinctive features of a GB1 pack is the grey crank knob. They were black in GBII. One of the GBII features would be where the blue hose connects to the ion arm. It's in the metal in GB1, and in the arm itself in GBII. Also the ribbon cable switched between the two films. Fans have yet to find the cable from the GB1 hero packs, so those have to be made. the GBII ribbon cable can be easily found. There are several other things the differ between the two films, but I'm going too far into nerd mode and bailing out now.
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Sep-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Yes. I don't mind the hybridness. I have one of these on the way. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111171930471...84.m1497.l2648

Might look pretty cool once installed.

England
    Very very nice
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Very very nice
    I agree! Very slick...if, you know...you like wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on your back.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

UK
    Of course any true hardcore GB nerd wears a self-unbuckling belt and trouser combo!