Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dawn Of The Dead - official blu-ray releases, poor colour timing and 35th anniversary

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Toonloon View Post
    I've heard Savinni supervised that transfer himself and that was how he preferred it to look.

I remember seeing the release around 1990 and I remember thinking that it was way too bright and that some of the make up looked a bit rubbery under such harsh conditions. That was one of the major pluses of the original - the high contrast black and white photography.
    From what I understand, the cinematographer gave his blessing for the transfer over the telephone. Savini wasn't involved and didn't comment on it until he received his copy after release. If I remember correctly, that is. Some other members here probably remember better than I do.

Fresh Meat

UK
    Oh, I'm sorry Neil. I thought both versions were the Argento one. I hadn't realised they were comparison vids. My bad.

I miss seeing Roger shoot the last one, but that's easily fixed.

Does anyone know if you can get the Goblin soundtrack for this?

- - - Updated - - -

Neil - you're confusing me, mate. Roger shoots the last zombie (before the GI opens the trap door) in both clips.

Ireland
    The only thing I like about the Argento cut is that it gets rid of the silly helicopter zombie, the stupid pie fight and that "test your heartrate" idiot (I think).
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Fresh Meat

UK
    Those are interesting points. Although I agree that the helicopter zombie is a less successful effect, I think fans would miss that scene and would be distracted by it's absence if I cut it. I like the idea of cutting the heart rate guy, I may do that myself. The pie fight isn't great but those bikers don't give a fuck. I think I'll keep that in.

Great ideas. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Neil - how about this? I've followed your suggestion and tried to go a bit more subtle in the tower block. There isn't a great deal of difference to be honest but I still think it's a step in the right direction. As I think I mentioned earlier, it's the outdoor scenes that suffer the most from the poor transfer.

Arrow

Mine

Here's another anomaly that looked poor to me. The shots inside the helicopter don't match the shot of outside the copter. I understand that the camera is now supposed to be floating outside, but that should make Stephen darker. I've altered the lighting ever so slightly in these two shots to try and make them match better. When you see the original, it leaps out at you. I think it's because the lighting is wrong. Hopefully you won't notice mine so much.

Arrow (unaltered)

Mine (colour timed and lighting changed slightly)

Administrator

England
    ^^

To my eyes, that looks far more natural compared to your first example?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

UK
    Yeah I agree with you now Neil. Rog looks too pale in my first attempt. It looks more natural in the second go.

Some of these scenes need to be timed individually. What works for one does not work for another.

Keep those argento suggestions coming please. I bought the goblin soundtrack earlier so I could add some goblin music over the theatrical cut where there is none present. What do you guys think about the goblin music over the boiler room zombie and Stephen? Or the Krishna zombie?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I applaud your effort and work on these, but if I'm completely honest....I think the existing Blu Ray caps look the best...

Fresh Meat

UK
    That's cool. You can pick up either version any time you want from Amazon. Those pink skies really bug me though. And the pink hue to the zombie make up looks ridiculous to me, but if it doesn't bother you then who am I to argue.

Ireland
    Ha ha...the face on Peter. He's thinking...

"Roger, you witless ass...I just know you're going to screw everything up eventually..."
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Great job Toon!

I honestly think those pics you posted do look better than the Arrow release. Especially after Neil's comments (Roger did look a tad too blue in your first attempt) it comes across as a bit more natural.

Fresh Meat

UK
    Thanks Chris.

I was re-working the air strip section last night and I noticed another alarming mismatch within the footage. At first I thought I really screwed something up but when I removed my filters I saw that it was in the Arrow version to begin with.

If you have the blu-ray and your look at the scene where Peter comes out the office pissed off with Stephen and points a gun at him, check out the broken up shot of Peter emerging. You get Roger shouting to break up the scene and when you return to it, the shots hardly match at all.

I don't believe this is a production error, I believe it is a consequence of the hideous DNR done to this film to blow out the colours and make all the faces lack details.

I watched THE KING OF MARVIN GARDENS last night on BD and the Criterion transfer is above and beyond the DOTD and KING was made in '71 and probably did take as much money as DOTD did in a month.

On a side note, I tried watching both versions side by side last night to try to re-integrate some footage but my head nearly exploded as if Bully had shot with the complications that involved.

One of the first extra shots I noticed was that Fran's friend who comes in the office at the beginning says to her "it's my turn with the coat", meaning she's going to have a nap now. You only hear that line in the Romero version but you see the actress say it in Argento. All these years and I missed that line in the Theatrical version because you didn't see the actress say it and it gets lost in the sound mix.

It sure is complicated, all these different versions. I may just add some extra Goblin music in rather than lift out sections of Argento's edit.

Administrator

England
    I don't believe this is a production error, I believe it is a consequence of the hideous DNR done to this film to blow out the colours and make all the faces lack details.
    Have you not got an older (less messed around copy) that you can compare it to?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

UK
    The arrow DVD of the argento cut ironically has a much better colour scheme. I looked at that initially. Also publicity photos. And stuff like actors breath, rain puddles, etc. all this confirmed for me that the skies were never pink.

Administrator

England
    I always wondered... is that supposed to be a guy or a girl next to fran in that scene?

Fresh Meat

UK
    I think it is Chris Romeos brother. She's sitting at the control
    Desk next to George in the next scene.