Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dawn Of The Dead - official blu-ray releases, poor colour timing and 35th anniversary

Fresh Meat

UK

Dawn Of The Dead - official blu-ray releases, poor colour timing and 35th anniversary

Hi guys!

This is my first post here. I'm a long time Romero fan and I've been working on a little project that may interest you or you may be able to help me with.

First of all, I'm not here to sell anything. Far from it.

Like most of you, I've been buying DOTD since it was available in various cuts on VHS.

I recently bought the Starz version then the UK Arrow blu-ray. Both of which I find the colour timing to be horrible. I like to do some fan editing now and again so I decided to make my own version of DOTD. I tried to find as many reference shots as I could, look at when the movie was shot, what the weather was like, look for clues in the film itself, etc, to work out just what colour this film is supposed to look in HD.

Here's a couple of examples.

The first image is the Arrow UK BD and the second is my re-colouring of that image. I decided to use the Arrow version as it has less digital noise reduction (DNR) in it than the Starz one.

What I wanted to ask you good people is some advice on the Argento version. I'm sure you all know that Argento supervised a new HD master that is coming out as a 35th anniversary edition in December. Well, I was thinking of adding some of the Argento footage into my re-timed Theatrical edition to create a hybrid version.

What scenes in the Argento version do you think are superior (if any) of what part of the soundtrack would you prefer to hear in place of Romero's stock music track?

Thanks for looking in.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a few more examples of my re-coloured version. Arrow version is first, mine is second.

I believe that what ever algorhythm they used to digitally scrub the movie skewed the colour palette into the red spectrum way too much. It really doesn't help with Tom Savinni's make ups when there is too much red in the film. I've tried to help out the make up jobs by making them slightly colder when Zombies are featured. All of this you shouldn't notice when you watch the film, and if I've been successful, you won't.

England
    You're probably better off posting this in the film makers section.
    Good luck
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Fresh Meat

UK
    Oh. Okay. Technically I'm not creating anything. At first I was just trying to fix the lousy colour transfer on the blu-ray.

If a mod agrees this is in the wrong place, please move it, and my apologies.

Administrator

England
    I have to say your colouring seems like an improvement in some scenes, but a bit "too much" in others? I'd almost suggest the ideal would be half way between the Arrow and yours as you seem to have taken it possibly too far?

It's almost as if the "blue" has been taken up too much, and the contrast lost a little?

For example, I actually think yours has gone too far, especially on the skin tones, so I prefer the arrow one here:-

That said, I'd say my monitor is only a cheapy, so may not be the best way to judge!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Everyone sees colours in vastly different ways. Nothing is the same between two people.

That said, I think the that colder "bluer" look of the OP's edit is a significant improvement over the colour timing that's on the blu-ray, which is far, far too warm in my opinion.

On the issue of DNR, I really wish companies would stop doing that. I happen to like film grain, it's actually something I miss in modern digital film. But the DNR process often ends up looking like someone took every single frame of a film into Photoshop and applied a blur to them. I come away a lot of the time feeling I need glasses on.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Fresh Meat

UK
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

shootemindehead is absolutely right when he says we see colour in different ways. Neil - you may have gotten used to the warmer tones or actually prefer the look of more red in the picture and that is totally fine. Afterall, I'm changing it to match how I think it should look so you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

In those screen grabs, I didn't alter any contrast. I've only altered the RGB levels. Some scenes needed more work than others. I have changed brightness and contrast in some areas but this was where the different time of day was visible from shot to shot. When Stephen lands the helicopter at the air field it is quite dark and overcast but when Roger jumps out to grab the pumps it has brightened up considerably. I tried to manipulate that shot to make it match better and I believe it does.

Any thoughts on the Argento footage gentlemen? I found a good list of all the changes between versions but I find it hard to follow, plus it doesn't give much in the way of opinion of whether or not its a good addition or a bad one. This is why I am here as I figured you guys would be the experts to ask.

- - - Updated - - -

Neil - forgot to pick up another of your points. I did leave some of the Arrow stuff mostly untouched. I dialled back the red across the board, but not in equal levels. The studio scene and the scenes in their "apartment" retain the warm red colour that is so prevalent in the Arrow version, without being so heavy handed. It's mostly the outdoor scenes that suffer greatly from the blown out red colours.

I tried to look at as many versions of DOTD across as many formats as possible and I've come to the unmistakable conclusion that the film looked a lot colder than it does in these HD transfers. You can see breath on the soldiers and hill billies and yet the sky is pink. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Toonloon View Post
    Neil - you may have gotten used to the warmer tones or actually prefer the look of more red in the picture and that is totally fine. Afterall, I'm changing it to match how I think it should look so you're certainly entitled to your opinion.
    Having looked on a different monitor... I'd still say your colour change is for the better, but a touch too much IMHO.

But, that's all it is of course... my opinion

Looks better, but just a bit too much blue for me

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

UK
    Neil - I thank you for your opinion. You could very well be right. I'll take another look at it. Sometimes in completely removing the red hue it moves a little too far into the blue or even green spectrum. I had that problem when they land on the roof of the mall, so it's entirely possible that you are correct. I had to be very careful with that scene to get it looking okay.

I'll take some more screen grabs of the SWAT team in the building and post them and see if you think that scene should be looked at again by me. It's entirely possible that you are correct. Personally, I think the second picture of Roger looks more natural in the flesh tones. Maybe he does look a little too cold.

I have to go to work now but I'll be back later this afternoon.

Please have a think about the Argento version for me, if you are familiar with it and thanks for the fantastic website!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    At least it's not as bad as the Night90 BLUE Ray....

Fresh Meat

UK
    I've heard Savinni supervised that transfer himself and that was how he preferred it to look.

I remember seeing the release around 1990 and I remember thinking that it was way too bright and that some of the make up looked a bit rubbery under such harsh conditions. That was one of the major pluses of the original - the high contrast black and white photography.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I have the Argento version, but I've never seen it. I personally think the theatrical cut is the best of them. The extended edition has too much stock music for my tastes, and I hate much of it. The theatrical cut is perfect (and that's also the directors cut, if I'm not mistaken?).

I'll give the Argento version a go sometime soon, tho. This thread piqued my interest.

Fresh Meat

UK
    Totally agree with you EvilNed. But I'm trying to offer something different for the fans and this was the best idea I had.

There is an extended fan edit called EXTENDED MALL OPENING HOURS which is the longest version of DOTD you can get. It contains ALL the commercially available footage from all 3 cuts, if you are interested.

Administrator

England
    One thing I did prefer from the Argento cut was the basement scene, mainly due to the Goblins music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRPHl1DIed4

(3mins onwards)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uiuVW3bhXw
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

UK
    What did you like in particular about it? Was it just the music? Do you know if it is scene for scene the same as the Theatrical? It would be possible for me to swap the soundtracks and add Argent's 5.1 mix to Romero's 1080p presentation.

BTW, I took a look at the SWAT raid and I think I agree with you. I'm correct in the red reduction is the right way to go but it has gone too far into the blue when it comes to some of the skin colouring. I think I need to add a bit more yellow to some of the close-ups.

Administrator

England
    ^ If you compare the two example, you'll see the stuff leading up to the shooting is the same but then Argento stops short, without Roger getting to shoot anyone.

Infact get the first video paused at 0:00, and play the second video from 2:27, and start the first one... You'll see at about 1m13s Argento decides to shorten the scene
    -Carl Sagan