Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead spin off series!

UK

Walking Dead spin off series!

A "companion series" to AMC's The Walking Dead is being developed for launch in 2015...

"An entirely new story and cast of characters"
    http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-walk...-off-announced

This should be interesting... wonder if they plan to use the Telltale characters?

England
    Aye. This is CONFIRMED as well.

http://www.slashfilm.com/amc-plans-t...-dead-spinoff/

Im always in the "more is good" camp, so naturally very very excited by this.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Well this is a bolt from the blue surprise!

My concern is - how will it be different? Will it just be the same kind of stuff, but with people we don't know and aren't connected to (yet)? It would really have to show some other angles on events - i.e. preferably not civilian, as we've got that covered with the existing show.

Better Call Saul makes more sense out-right as it's a jumping off point after one show has ended, and (apparently) it's a prequel. I also hope it doesn't distract too much from making The Walking Dead proper - I'd hate to see the main show suffer as a result of this idea, or for the spit-off to overdose us on it.

I'm really quite surprised by this, personally ... I didn't really think there was a need for a spin-off ... we'll see what's what when it comes to pass in 2015.

Will the spin-off take place during the missing months between seasons 2 and 3, and likewise 3 and 4? That's a possible avenue for exploration ... will it go right back to the very beginning ... that too is another good possible avenue for exploration. Again, a different type of perspective would be welcome - governmental or military, for example.

Super Moderator

United States
    I'm very pessimistic, as they may be watering down the brand, their efforts and what mystique the show still has. That said, this may free them up from fan expectations, which would be nice. Kill whoever, whenever, however without worrying about what the f*ck twitter feeds and facebook petitions have to say.

That said, this seems like a bad sign, sounds like the flushing of a toilet.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Not sure how I feel about this. As mentioned above the watered down theory kind of worries me. I dont want anything to distract from TWD. If AMC wants to make a statement go back to 1.5 hour season premiere and give us some story.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Will give it a chance, even tho I'm not a huge TWD fan. I hope it's set during the outbreak, rather than skipping through it like TWD did. Otherwise, I see little point...
    Last edited by EvilNed; 16-Sep-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: ffawrywr

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'm very pessimistic, as they may be watering down the brand, their efforts and what mystique the show still has. That said, this may free them up from fan expectations, which would be nice. Kill whoever, whenever, however without worrying about what the f*ck twitter feeds and facebook petitions have to say.

That said, this seems like a bad sign, sounds like the flushing of a toilet.
    Yeh, I'm in your corner. I reckon it'll end up being 'The Walking Dead - Lite'. These things are very rarely a good idea, and ja know what...

...put the bleedin money your going to waste on a spin off into the original feckin show!!!

:/
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 17-Sep-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Will give it a chance, even tho I'm not a huge TWD fan. I hope it's set during the outbreak, rather than skipping through it like TWD did. Otherwise, I see little point...
    It would be nice to spend a little more time in the first few weeks again!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It would be nice to spend a little more time in the first few weeks again!
    Yes!

Separate from the main TWD-verse, we'd be freed up to explore it. It'd be great to see how it all began - without a medical explanation - but it'd be cool to see, for example, what went on inside the CDC (perhaps even witnessing the death and resurrection of Test Subject 19), but to also see things like the bombing of Atlanta from a military perspective, as well as the government's side of things. You could perhaps even see certain aspects that are glimpsed in the main show after-the-fact, but go back and see how it happened - another thing you could do is show us what happened to the Vatos gang as their fate was ultimately cut out of the season two premiere. To see it actually go down - e.g. perhaps following the gang who did it - you could be introduced to them and not know exactly who they are, but the first thing you see them do is take down the Vatos gang.

I'm very much in two minds about this - there's loads of cool things you could do with it in the right hands, but I'm also dearly hoping they don't bugger up the main show by splitting their resources or whatever. It should really be two entirely separate teams, with the producers overseeing both (but mainly the original show), to maintain quality and consistency.

Scotland
    As far as some extra back story on characters/events that were just touched upon, I'd like to see some of the antics of Dave and Tony (episode Nebraska) in the early days of the outbreak. Loved those characters/performances.
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh, I'm in your corner. I reckon it'll end up being 'The Walking Dead - Lite'. These things are very rarely a good idea, and ja know what...

...put the bleedin money your going to waste on a spin off into the original feckin show!!!

:/
    You make a damn good point. Put the money in the original. As much as I want to see other parts of this apocolypse Id hate to see a divide amongst fans hurting the interest and ratings of the original. Now if it didnt run concurrently with TWD that may not be too bad. But this may oversaturate.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    With my interest in TWD tv series fading in the last two years or so, I just can't really get excited about this. Sure, I'll watch it just like the current show, but the hype just isn't there for me.

It's funny that Kirkman used to say in the letter hacks that he wasn't interested in a spin off series because the core of TWD is all about Rick and these characters, but now he seems excited about it for a TV series....
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Sep-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Well, TV is a different beast. I could see him not being interested in another comic, but another show could be a breath of fresh air. It would alieviate some of the "same, but different" angst of trying to make it LIKE the comic, but different at the same time. A clean slate with no ties other than the setting = unlimited possibilities. Look at the recent video game. I watched a playthrough of it on Youtube & loved it. It was proof of concept to me that there are still plenty of stories to be told.

United States
    not really too excited about this, to be honest. seems like there is an over-saturation of zombie stuff out and the quality is really slipping.

England
    Bit of a stretch but how about Max Brooks as showrunner?
    I think he's written for SNL so he's no stranger to a writers room.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA