Thread: The Shining sequel (book)

Administrator

England

The Shining sequel (book)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24126819

Stephen King has admitted he is nervous about the reaction to his forthcoming sequel to his novel The Shining.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I dunno. I used to like him when I was a kid and thought naughty words were cool, even in print. I still think It is pretty good to reread, but rereading some of the other earlier ones, like this and 'Salems Lot, are kind of lame. I really never kept up with him much after the 80's, though.
    I'd have to check this one out just to see if he's really grown like he claims...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I dunno. I used to like him when I was a kid and thought naughty words were cool, even in print. I still think It is pretty good to reread, but rereading some of the other earlier ones, like this and 'Salems Lot, are kind of lame. I really never kept up with him much after the 80's, though.
    I'd have to check this one out just to see if he's really grown like he claims...
    Hm. Loved Kings work, especially his older stuff. Haven't kept up with some of his recent works. Don't read much in general any more. Always admired his style, use of language, & particularly dialog & vernacular. And his passion for the craft of writing in general.*Shrug*

Heard he was comtemplating a Shining sequel. Didn't know if he would do it. Don't know if it's really a good idea. Didn't like the sound of it. Will still be interested though.

Undisclosed
    I keep reading King. I always feel like this is some kind of guilty pleasure, and in a way it is, but every time I'm impressed by his 'craftsmanship.'
    As far as popular literature goes he's one of the best.
    Under the Dome, while sullied by a really crap finale, is a fun read IMO. Just don't expect anything 'literary.'

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    11/22/63 was awesome, and i just started "joyland", which has me pretty much hooked. i, too, gave king a pass for a while, as some of his works were getting a bit re-hashed feeling, but those two books i mentioned have both been released in the last few years and were "vintage" king, if you will.

United States
    Yeah, sorry if I was being a Negative Nancy. A friend said he's going to let me read it after him. I'll give 'er a twirl...

United States
    I just finished "Dr. Sleep" a few days ago. It's definitely worth a one time read. If you're going into the book expecting the Stephen King of yore - i.e. the man who gave us "The Long Walk" and "The Stand" - you're going to be disappointed though. That guy is long gone, folks. He can still put out some entertaining work worth reading (11/22/63 as someone mentioned was enjoyable, and Under the Dome had some finer moments) but overall I think the success and lack of urgency (going from having to write to feed your family to writing so you can finish paying off the mortgage on your third vacation home in Florida, as an example) have really hindered him. Plus, I don't think the man has had an actual editor in about 15 years and he woefully needs one to cut out the filler (Duma Key, Under the Dome, and 11/22/63 could have all been about half of what they were). I'll still continue to read his work - and Dr. Sleep is well worth a one time read - but I don't think we'll ever have back the Stephen King we once had just as we'll never have back the George A. Romero of once upon a time.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Aside from The Stand, my favorite King has always been his short story anthologies.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Administrator

England
    Some of the Dark Tower books were epic. And I have a soft spot for The Long Walk and Road Work (under Bachman)
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Some of the Dark Tower books were epic. And I have a soft spot for The Long Walk and Road Work (under Bachman)
    Agreed. I loved the Dark Tower series. The Stand & It , 11/22/63 to name a few of my favourites
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!