Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, Season 4 is on next month :)

Administrator

England

So, Season 4 is on next month :)

God that sounds good! Can't believe it's come around so quick... And 16 episodes again too!

That should take me all the way into the next season of Game Of Thrones too
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Wooooooooooooooooo!

I suppose that's a good thing about a split-season, the wait between a finale and a premiere is never too long, and with the mid-season break being populated by the holiday season, there's always plenty of stuff to distract you from the wait, and by the time you're up for it, it's almost back on again.

I'm gonna give season 1 through 3 another bash before season 4 gets going.

Scotland
    Only 6 weeks or so to go. Was just going to watch only season 3 again, but now that you mention it I'll be giving all 3 seasons another gander!
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Right now I couldn't care any less. Breaking Bad has my full attention.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto Vivente View Post
    Only 6 weeks or so to go. Was just going to watch only season 3 again, but now that you mention it I'll be giving all 3 seasons another gander!
    *high five*

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It's a very good way to wait out the return of season 4 - blimey, only four episodes of BB left to go! - but when it's all over you'll be able to soften the blow by diving right into TWDs4 the following week.

That's another thing, for me, that helps fill the gap between seasons of TWD - AMC has a bunch of other cool shows ... although BB is ending in a month, and Mad Men's only got one season left IIRC ... still though, there's always plenty of telly shows to keep me entertained and distracted. It's quite nice to have the break from TWD as well - I get so invested in it while it's on, so obsessed, that it's nice to just take a few steps back from it and get obsessed by other shows - so I can come back to TWD all refreshed and ready to rock.

England
    Im still confused why people feel the need to compare TWD with BB. Apart from being on the same network and occasionally interchanging directors, they share no other common trait. IMHO its somehow become cool to slate TWD and hold up BB as some saviour of scripted drama, especially online. Just enjoy each one for what it is.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States

as skinny pete would proclaim, "church!".

between the lackluster back half of season 3, the ever-increasing quality of breaking bad, and the upcoming release of the sure-to-be-epic gta5, the walking dead isn't even on my radar right now. i will definitely be tuning in and expect my interest to grow as we get closer to the premier, but the show really fizzled out towards the end there.

and yeah it's kinda like comparing apples and oranges, but the pacing and quality has been all over the place for twd, while bb has been fairly consistent in those regards throughout the entire series. seems like a lot more love and craftsmanship has been put into breaking bad while the walking dead is starting to go with the "lets-throw-a-bunch-of-shit at-the-walls-and-see-what-sticks" route.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Im still confused why people feel the need to compare TWD with BB. Apart from being on the same network and occasionally interchanging directors, they share no other common trait. IMHO its somehow become cool to slate TWD and hold up BB as some saviour of scripted drama, especially online. Just enjoy each one for what it is.
    Wasn't really comparing them, just responding to the original post that I'm not all that excited about TWD's return this year. Sure, i'll tune in and everything, but interest has faded more and more. I'm not bashing TWD, I still like it, it's just a shame that it's gone so far off the beaten path that it's losing viewers. On the other hand, BB has only gotten better and it's on the home stretch, so I believe it's fair to say it has more peoples' attention at the moment.

England
    Wasn't really comparing them, just responding to the original post that I'm not all that excited about TWD's return this year. Sure, i'll tune in and everything, but interest has faded more and more. I'm not bashing TWD, I still like it, it's just a shame that it's gone so far off the beaten path that it's losing viewers. On the other hand, BB has only gotten better and it's on the home stretch, so I believe it's fair to say it has more peoples' attention at the moment.
    Aye. It wasn't really aimed it you Bass, your comment just sparked something thats been bothering me for a while now.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

I'm gonna give season 1 through 3 another bash before season 4 gets going.
    This is why I haven't overwatched season 3. I have seen the first two seasons wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many times to the point where I just fast forward straight to the chomping.
    I will get boned up on it before 4 starts, though. No webisodes to go with it all this time?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I will get boned up on it before 4 starts, though. No webisodes to go with it all this time?

We've heard they're coming. Time will tell.

United States
    We've heard they're coming. Time will tell.
    Cool, because they've been pretty sweeet so far. I'd hate for them to break with, ahem, tradition.

I dunno, I've been digging the show. The thing you said about the numbers dropping. Is this true? I thought they were pulling in ever higher numbers each season.
    Confusion.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, the numbers haven't been dropping - they went out as strong as they came in, if not stronger, over the course of the whole third season.

As for being 'on path', I think season 4 should correct that - Gimple has actively been bringing much more of the comics into the show in slightly different ways, which I think will be a good balance. They definitely did move too far from the comics in season 3 - it took more of it's own path in the context of seasons 1 and 2, rather than in the context of seasons 1 and 2 and the established comic book arc.

The link between the show and the comic is much stronger in the first two seasons, but without just being a copy & paste jobby, whereas season 3 went off the leash too much - I also think that the upping to 16 episodes from 13 off-set them a little bit. I was reading an interview a couple of weeks ago and that was addressed - they'd not quite got the second half figured out as well as they could have, pacing wise, due to the additional episodes. Had season 3 been another 13 episodes then I don't think the pacing problems of the back half would have really been there (if at all). Anyway, clearly it's something they're aware of, and they now have the experience.

To be fair, going from season one's 6 episodes to season two's 13 episodes slackened the pace somewhat with the near-seven-week hunt for Sophia (a storyline that definitely works much better, in pacing terms, when watching the episodes in your own time rather than first airing time).

So I'm looking forward to seeing Gimple's work bring the show back more 'on path' than in this last season. I really enjoyed season 3, even with some of the flaws that were present, but yeah - bring on season four.

I may be distracted by Breaking Bad and other shows, as well as the soppy-crotch anticipation of GTA V, but I'll be there, on-the-dot, for season four, with bells and whistles on.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I dunno, I've been digging the show. The thing you said about the numbers dropping. Is this true? I thought they were pulling in ever higher numbers each season.
    Confusion.
    No, that's true. The ratings have always been improving. What I said about losing viewers' attention is just my own perception. Everyone that's a fan of the show/zombies/comic will still tune in, but it seems to me that anticipation has dropped quite a bit throughout the 3-4 seasons. Anticipation used to be intense for tons of viewers but now it's starting to seem like "We'll see...". If I had to put a finger on it, I'd say it's because the show has been so uneven in the past two seasons.

Again....i'm not bashing it. Just saying that it doesn't stir the same excitement in some people that it once did.

Super Moderator

United States
    No, that's true. The ratings have always been improving. What I said about losing viewers' attention is just my own perception. Everyone that's a fan of the show/zombies/comic will still tune in, but it seems to me that anticipation has dropped quite a bit throughout the 3-4 seasons.
    I've kind of been getting this feeling, myself. There's some really cool bits to the show, the occasional punch up in the story arc, but the show has spent a lot of its time spinning its wheels.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany