Thread: "The Walking Dead: A Decade of Dead" documentary...

Super Moderator

UK

"The Walking Dead: A Decade of Dead" documentary...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvN9f1Wk7jo

A brief (23 minutes), but pretty cool documentary that traces The Walking Dead from creation through to the present day as a monster franchise.

Interviews with the likes of Kirkman, Adlard, various folks at Image Comics, and some of the people from the TV show - we even get a couple of brief behind-the-scenes glimpses at new episodes (nothing spoilery).

Well worth checking out.

United States
    Great find, checking out now!!!

England
    Thanks. Good documentary. They should have given Tony Moore more credit though
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Ireland
    There was a big fall out there though. I don't think Tony Moore will be seeing his name associated with TWD much.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    There was a big fall out there though. I don't think Tony Moore will be seeing his name associated with TWD much.
    He still gets credit on the TV show opening credits though, right as one of the co-creators of TWD, and while he was there for those first six issues, and then just some covers after that point for a while (IIRC), Adlard is who is most heavily associated with TWD in terms of the visuals ... TWD is Adlard, Adlard is TWD ... he's the man who has drawn so many iconic characters and moments for years now, even if Moore originated the main original cast of characters ... although after that Adlard gave them his own look, although it was disorienting when Andrea's look seemed to switch with that of Amy.

So Adlard is who I personally most heavily associate with TWD and I love his style ... but I also loved Moore's work on the first six - there's so much detail in each panel, it's incredible, I love the look of those first six issues. The two of them have very different styles, and they both suit the content.

I was a little surprised, but at the same time not necessarily all that surprised, that Moore didn't feature much in this doc - it is only 23 minutes long and covers ten years ... but yeah, I've heard that there was some sort of bad split between Kirkman and Moore, but I don't really know much about it.

Anyway, I rather enjoyed the doc - I would have gladly watched another hour's worth!

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW7v6SCAy1k

A 22 minute interview with Robert Kirkman on the Speak Easy vidcast with Paul F. Tompkins.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Good stuff. Kirkman seems like Nicotero. An honest fan and good guy that is pleased to discuss the genre as if he's just a fan. It's rare that you see that kind of thing, but nice to see it. Gotta love the fans that are in the genre and creating more fans....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Good stuff. Kirkman seems like Nicotero. An honest fan and good guy that is pleased to discuss the genre as if he's just a fan. It's rare that you see that kind of thing, but nice to see it. Gotta love the fans that are in the genre and creating more fans....
    Totally agreed on that front - it's always best when the creators are just as big genre nerds as we are - you can see the love jump out of the screen at you whenever they're interviewed.