Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No More Room In Hell (Half-Life 2 mod standalone)

Administrator

England
    A group of us tried this over the weekend... Really not very impressed...

The biggest problem is the hit mechanics - You have a nice long baseball bat and seemingly can swing and miss a zombie, backup as fast as you can, but the zombie can still reach and hit you?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    A group of us tried this over the weekend... Really not very impressed...

The biggest problem is the hit mechanics - You have a nice long baseball bat and seemingly can swing and miss a zombie, backup as fast as you can, but the zombie can still reach and hit you?
    Yeah, I've heard others complain about the melee too. I know I didn't do well with it before I was killed, but thought it was just me. Do give the other games I mentioned a try as well Neil. And maybe try this one again on different maps. They do seem to make a difference. Don't forget, it is still in development too. So they may still address those type issues.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 04-Nov-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: mur

England
    I've been playing this all week, yeah the hit mechanics need tweaking but overall I'm really enjoying it, especially the Night of the Living Dead map!

Administrator

England
    Just not the slightest bit enthused by this at all. The hit/combat mechanics are so frustrating/random it puts me off.

Plus, State Of Decay pi$$es on it (IMHO) from a a great height.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I feel that "No More Room in Hell" has a lot going for it and it is worth dealing with some negatives to enjoy what it does very very well.

Starting with the negatives...

Cons:
    - The hit mechanics are frustrating.
    - The v key "Shove" is not nearly powerful enough.
    - The zombies shamble faster than I can back up.
    - Inventory management is very rough. Too little carrying capacity, no ammo unload, no backpack/luggable options, no hotkey weapon switching, etc.
    - Zombies respawn in some "cleared" areas inexplicably but ammo does not respawn ever.
    - No difficulty adjustment and some maps simply require 6+ people to complete/survive.

I actually got pretty good with both guns and melee weapons to the point they don't hurt my enjoyment too much. Doing slow and controlled clearing of a room of zombies with a handgun is very satisfying.

Pros:
    - Great atmosphere, great environments. Some of the maps are works of art.
    - Objectives are varied in the maps allowing tons of replayability.
    - The stock zombies look great, move great, shamble appropriately, behave right, etc.
    - The darkness/flashight system is extremely well done.
    - The infection system is hardcore! You are never more than one mistake from being done!
    - Evokes the feeling of the movies better than any zombie shooter I've played.

To that last point... I've had a few really standout moments playing this game that set it apart from literally every other zombie game out there...

1) My small group was moving through an area with lots of zombies coming at us. They were shambling... we had plenty of time... we were calmly calling and placing headshots. It was slow and methodical. Very controlled. It FELT like we were Roger and Peter moving through the basement of the apartments. Extremely cool.

2) We were in a completely dark area with two of us shining lights so that the others could shoot. It was controlled and methodical as we moved our way through. But a zombie crept up behind us and bit me! I wasn't very hurt but I was infected ... a classic mistake!! There was a rush to figure out what to do with me. I ended up running ahead and destroying as many zombies as I could before succumbing to their numbers. Again, it FELT like being in a zombie movie!

3) We were in a building along a street teaming with zombies. The zombies would respawn at the ends of the street if we destroyed any (which made sense). The zombies were massed around our exit door. We had to get across the street and into another building. Since we had roof access we sent someone to the roof to attract the zombies and that cleared the exit door enough to get a few people out. They ran across the street to begin clearing the other building, which also served to attract the zombies away so the person on the roof could exit. In the other building we closed the glass doors and the zombies could not get in, leaving us only dealing with whatever zombies were in there as the zombies outside just beat at the doors. Totally cool!

4) Repeatedly I've lined up the perfect headshot, waited till the zombie got close, then squeezed the trigger only to hear ... click. Out of Ammo! Panic, back up, try to reload! Often one of my teammates has me covered and I see the zombie head explode right in front of me. I've done the same for them.

As a fellow modder (NMRIH is a free-to-play mod of Half-Life) I can see tons and tons of great things these guys have done right. The potential for maps made within this mod is enormous. All the tools are there. Great objective system, great graphics engine, perfect zombies, great flashlight/darkness system, good weapons, etc. I'm seriously considering opening up the Hammer editor and trying to create a certain underground bunker.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Administrator

England
    For me, just the hit/combat mechanics were so poor I (we) lost interest. You'd swing with a weapon and miss, back away, and yet still be hit by the slow shambling zombie you couldn't seemingly reach?
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    I've now even uninstalled this game I was so frustrated by it. However, "Contagion" feels like what this game was trying to be!
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I'm still really enjoying it, the NOTLD map is by far the best one, boarding up the doors & windows, trying to stop the zombie hordes breaking in. It's a pretty special gaming experience when you get with a group who actually work as a team, going out in twos gathering ammo and resources while the others keep the zombies out and defences up. It captures the hopelessness & vulnerability far better than any zombie game I've ever played. It's rough around the edges but I really like it, sorry that you didn't Neil!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I hadn't given this game much thought until yesterday. A couple of friends decided we'd get together and play "something". We ended up playing this for 14 hours.

The atmosphere is simply amazing. As with Trin, I have to applaud this game for it's cinematic survival experience. Myself, I'm not too annoyed with the melee mechanics. It's relatively simple and straightforward affair. I hadn't even thought about it until I read Neil's comments here.

It can be scary as hell, too. And some of the maps are brilliantly designed. The one where you're in a huge farmhouse and need to get from the attic to the outside to call for help is a favorite. A real dark one with only one or two flashlights lying around, forcing our team of 5 survivors to help each other out in dark areas.

Survival remains my favorite gamemode, but after awhile you get to know the maps enough that there's really no surprises for you. I guess I'm gonna have to start playing new maps.

I turned off the ingame music, tho. Totally ruined the mood. But defending a farm house has never been this much fun (or scary!).

EDIT: It should be noted that we played this game on Hardcore survival mode, with no real knowledge of what that was. Having no Heads up display whatsoever was great for immersion! I'm looking at screenshots of State of Decay, and while it sounds like a great game, that HUD just seems to get... so much in the way of the actual survival gameplay. The same goes for the fact that it seems very actionorientated. You can tell it's designed for consoles. No doubt it's a good game, but No More Room in Hell seems infinitly darker, to me, at least when taking a step back and looking at videos of both.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 29-Dec-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: erere

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    14 hours?
    Good god Ned!(cue Henry Rollins DO IT sing along).
    hahahhahah WTF

DH

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkest Hour View Post
    Good god Ned!(cue Henry Rollins DO IT sing along).

England
    Have you played the Night of the Living Dead farmhouse map yet? It remains my favourite!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Have you played the Night of the Living Dead farmhouse map yet? It remains my favourite!
    Yeah, that and the other Farmhouse (I think it's called Isolation) are definite favorites.

But most maps are neat. Kinda bummed about the flooded one. It's very small compared to the others.