Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x03 "Isolation" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Administrator

England
    So carol has gone from a awful, sour, souless character that i wrote off as zombie fodder in the first season to... well.. a awful, sour, souless murdering character in the fourth season.

Hopefully tyreese gets hold of her soon and puts us all out of our misery

Anyone else think shes finally stepping in the direction of the comic book carol? Maybe she will end up hugging a zombie while the others look on in horror.. that would be a pretty awesome death.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    So carol has gone from a awful, sour, souless character that i wrote off as zombie fodder in the first season to... well.. a awful, sour, souless murdering character in the fourth season.

Hopefully tyreese gets hold of her soon and puts us all out of our misery

Anyone else think shes finally stepping in the direction of the comic book carol? Maybe she will end up hugging a zombie while the others look on in horror.. that would be a pretty awesome death.
    Don't know if I totally agree... She's clearly compassionate at times, and is walking the fine line between compassion for the individual, and compassion for the group. ie: As a pointy eared guy once said, the needs of the many out-weight the needs of the few (or two with deadly flu symptoms).

Personally, I don't agree with her treatment of the two she killed/burned...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Her actions were certainly drastic - a rush to try and solve the problem, perhaps ... but if it's spread around, chances are more people already have it, so killing and burning them would do no good in stopped the spread. You'd just have to quarantine everyone straight away and wait, while also sending certain folks off to get meds (as they're doing). Carol was thinking of the group - trying to stem the flow - but with them already quarantined in those cells, it might have been a bit of a rush ... but I think Carol also recognises that she acted hastily, but she can't go back on it now.

She's come a long way from washing clothes as the subjugated wife of an abuser ... but has she gone off the deep end? Time will tell...

United States
    I can't really say why, but I've hated Carol from day one, kind of like people hated Lori or Andrea until their departures. Something about the lady playing her...
    Just not a fan.
    Also, I'm pretty sure we're semi soon to be off the prison since they said in the past they were only staying there season 3-4 anyway. I'm amazed we're almost halfway through this run. I'm ready for something big to happen, this build up is killing me. I'm also not endlessly rewatching this season's episodes, so I don't burn myself out on them.
    I've had a few people want to get into the show with us, but I'm not sure I can sit through the first three seasons again... yet.
    I don't want to overwatch these new ones until I have them all together, and can take mental notes.
    Another person I'm personally getting tired of is old Herschal. You can't walk up on the guy and have a normal conversation. This guy always has to lay something heavy on you.
    It gets on my nerves, and I'd totally be avoiding him were I there. Just... annoying.
    If I wanted someone picking my shit apart, I'd go hang out with my own dear Pappy.
    Just saying...

United States
    I love Hershal; one of my favorite characters. The man always something interesting to say. And as far as Carol goes; love her or hate her, the fact that we are even discussing her at this point is proof enough the writers are doing something right.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I love Hershal; one of my favorite characters. The man always something interesting to say. And as far as Carol goes; love her or hate her, the fact that we are even discussing her at this point is proof enough the writers are doing something right.
    I dunno, it seems like when the shits not going well, old Hersch' hobbles on down the hill to bust your balls some.
    "Rickkkkk, I saw your boy this morning, and he was..."
    "Shut up, old timer and back up off my D! You're making me miss Dale, geeeeeeeeeeez!!!"
    It's time to bring back shotgun totin', heavy drinkin' Herschal!!!
    Actually, we'll probably see him soon enough. Well, the shot gun totin' part, that is...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Another person I'm personally getting tired of is old Herschal. You can't walk up on the guy and have a normal conversation. This guy always has to lay something heavy on you.
    It gets on my nerves, and I'd totally be avoiding him were I there. Just... annoying.
    If I wanted someone picking my shit apart, I'd go hang out with my own dear Pappy.
    Just saying...

---------------------------------------------------------

Well, Ron... [insert pause for quiet contemplation]

The Bible says "Judge not, lest ye be judged." [insert pause for dramatic effect and add stony old man stare]

But it also teaches us that "If anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness," and to "keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted."

[In old man style, he quietly returns to what he was doing, to let you have a good think about what he's just said.]
    -----------------------------------------------------------

You mean like that?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------

You mean like that?
    Ha!
    Yes, please. I am funnin' on this, but he has been kind of reduced to that.
    I'm ready for him to get it on like Donkey Kong. Of course...

He dies around the time they leave the prison in the comic, right? I guess I should be thankful for his pearls of wisdom whilst they are still there to be had.

And thanks for that huge kneeslapper of a laugh. I prematurely blew out my hit on that one. Good times. I can understand we need the deep heated discussion sometimes, but it's nice to see occasional bouts of levity win the day, or the thread in this case.

England
    I also think Carol might be having a meltdown.
    Teaching the kids how to use knives (presumably behind the councils back).
    Trying to get one of the little girls to brain their own father before he comes back.
    Chastising them for being weak when they are clearly traumatized.
    Murdering David and Karen.
    Recklessly going outside the fence.

She's definately on the zombie menu.

Comic spoiler

What if Daryl and Michonne get it on and it tips Carol over the edge?
    Last edited by kidgloves; 29-Oct-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spoiler added
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

UK
    i really like carol and i think people are being ab it 2 harsh. She lost her husband and daughter in a world that went 2 shit and i dont see wat it is shes done wrong since then. Shes knows that the next generation have 2 learn how 2 survive and i think shes treatin that young girl like she wud hav liked to treat her daughter had she had the time! Be strong and be prepared 2 kill. Also i was shocked 2 find out it was her that killed them 2 people then burned them but i think she done wat she thought was right not just for her but 4 everyone there (plus they were probs already zombies so she dun nothing wrong)
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I also think Carol might be having a meltdown.
    Teaching the kids how to use knives (presumably behind the councils back).
    Trying to get one of the little girls to brain their own father before he comes back.
    Chastising them for being weak when they are clearly traumatized.
    Murdering David and Karen.
    Recklessly going outside the fence.

She's definately on the zombie menu.
    I never liked Carol previously. She seemed like a throw away character. But she's the only realistic character that's had any real focus this season.

But honestly, she went a bit far burning the bodies. But that's about it.
    Teaching kids to use knives to defend themselves isn't exactly an indication of a meltdown.
    She also didn't try to get the girl to kill her father. The girl wanted to be the one to do it initially, and Carol tried to give her the opportunity. 2 very different things.

When she said the girl was weak, she was being honest. She promised the father she would look out for them like they were her own, and that's what she's doing. She's doing them a favor by not coddling them. Coddling them would inevitably lead to their demise. Coddling children in todays world even leaves them ill equipped to deal with reality. That world is extremely less forgiving than the one we live in.
    There's no time to allow them to be traumatized children. They either learn to cope and survive, or they die. That's just the painful reality they're in.

She also didn't just decide to murder David and Karen for fun, or for profit. She did it because she thought it was what had to happen to ensure the survival of the others. She was wrong, and it didn't achieve her goal. But she couldn't have known that at the time.

She's becoming the type of person that truly has what it takes to survive in that world. Unfortunately, the show has a record of killing off people that become real survivors, because a group of hardcore realists would be too difficult for the general audience to relate to.
    She jumped the gun, and she'll have to deal with the consequences. But the logic behind her actions is obvious.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    I never liked Carol previously. She seemed like a throw away character. But she's the only realistic character that's had any real focus this season.

But honestly, she went a bit far burning the bodies. But that's about it.
    Teaching kids to use knives to defend themselves isn't exactly an indication of a meltdown.
    She also didn't try to get the girl to kill her father. The girl wanted to be the one to do it initially, and Carol tried to give her the opportunity. 2 very different things.

When she said the girl was weak, she was being honest. She promised the father she would look out for them like they were her own, and that's what she's doing. She's doing them a favor by not coddling them. Coddling them would inevitably lead to their demise. Coddling children in todays world even leaves them ill equipped to deal with reality. That world is extremely less forgiving than the one we live in.
    There's no time to allow them to be traumatized children. They either learn to cope and survive, or they die. That's just the painful reality they're in.

She also didn't just decide to murder David and Karen for fun, or for profit. She did it because she thought it was what had to happen to ensure the survival of the others. She was wrong, and it didn't achieve her goal. But she couldn't have known that at the time.

She's becoming the type of person that truly has what it takes to survive in that world. Unfortunately, the show has a record of killing off people that become real survivors, because a group of hardcore realists would be too difficult for the general audience to relate to.
    She jumped the gun, and she'll have to deal with the consequences. But the logic behind her actions is obvious.
    BINGO!!! We agree LOL
    Good post

United States
    Carol is not evil. She did not kill for pleasure. Carol did kill in cold blood. Murder actually. She was wrong. Wrong in a sense that she is functioning in a society with a council to make decisions. She usurped the democracy and made a decision/action on her own because she probably believed no one would agree. I don't hate carol for this. I don't think she should be executed or exiled but damn she has to be set straight. She also showed a lack of character and ownership of the situation when her boy toy Daryl, Rick and tyrese were trading blows.

Can't wait to see Daryl's response considering he told tyrese the perpetrator of this act deserves a bolt to the head.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Can't wait to see Daryl's response considering he told tyrese the perpetrator of this act deserves a bolt to the head.
    Wow, he did say that!! lol
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Dead

United States
    My prediction:

Next episode(4) will have some much needed and awaited action away from the prison, which will extend into ep5. Ep5 will also contain the dispensing of medication to the surviving sick members, but several will die and be burned as shown in the clip where they're standing around the burning bodies. Rick will tell Herschel about Carol at the end of the episode. The council will convene to discuss the situation in ep6. Ep 6 and 7 will be mostly all talking about the situation and what to do, with some emotional shit regarding the degrading prison situation. Ep8 will have the huge herd showing up at or around the prison, forcing the group to either flee the prison or talk about it for a few episodes after the break where they'll attempt to find the voice on the radio.