Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: George Romero disses 'The Walking Dead'

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Mm. I think maybe the point he was trying to make, in a backhanded & dismissive way, is that TWD is more of a character driven drama, with zombies. Ie, a "soap opera" Interesting that he's still so fixated on the damn "social commentary" aspect, that he fails to realize that some of the best parts of the 1st three Dead films is the character driven, human drama elements.

The survivors trapped in the farmhouse, the interactions between Roger & Peter, Peter & Stephen, Stephen & Fran, John, Sarah, & McDermont's scenes together in Day. All character driven drama, no social commentary there.

Frankly, TWD is better off for focusing in the survivors, & their issues, & the insights into the human condition & human drama, & just let the zombies be zombies.
    Very well said, Moon! Particularly the points about the character interaction in GAR's early works being so important for a lot of us who are fans of thsoe films.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Mm. I think maybe the point he was trying to make, in a backhanded & dismissive way, is that TWD is more of a character driven drama, with zombies. Ie, a "soap opera" Interesting that he's still so fixated on the damn "social commentary" aspect, that he fails to realize that some of the best parts of the 1st three Dead films is the character driven, human drama elements.

The survivors trapped in the farmhouse, the interactions between Roger & Peter, Peter & Stephen, Stephen & Fran, John, Sarah, & McDermont's scenes together in Day. All character driven drama, no social commentary there.

Frankly, TWD is better off for focusing in the survivors, & their issues, & the insights into the human condition & human drama, & just let the zombies be zombies.

You know... I've never bought Romero's "social commentary" thing. eg: He made Dawn of the Dead in the mall - from my understanding - because he managed to get the location cheap? It wasn't a grand plan or anything.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You know... I've never bought Romero's "social commentary" thing. eg: He made Dawn of the Dead in the mall - from my understanding - because he managed to get the location cheap? It wasn't a grand plan or anything.
    I'm a bit on the fence myself. I do think there was some thought put into it as the series progressed, but it wasn't the overriding/only concern. (Ie: the mall. He scored the ability to shoot there first, then wrote some things in around that).

I think he fails to see that: you focus on the story & the characters first, then work in some of the themes you'd like to address. IMO if you START with the message, then build the story & characters around that, it shows. The message dominates the film & the whole suffers as a result.

This is one of the biggest dividing lines between the old & new Dead films I suspect.

*EDIT* How appropriate. The last was my 3000th post.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 01-Nov-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: 3000

England
    Still the King.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    IMO if you START with the message, then build the story & characters around that, it shows. The message dominates the film & the whole suffers as a result.
    I see a huge neon flashing sign with "Diary of the Dead" written on it.

Also, I don't know, GAR's kinda gone into slightly goofier territory of late with Diary and Survival, even Land in certain moments ... fun stuff, but at-odds with past work, and totally at odds with The Walking Dead ... so perhaps it's also a matter of tone and approach between the TWD gang and Uncle George.

I'd really like to see GAR tackle some non-zombie stuff. He should just leave that stuff aside and try and head up other projects - but of course, the big question there is, can he get the funding for it? It'd have to be in the horror genre, I suppose, but yeah ... I would really like to see GAR do something non-zombie now. He gave birth to this genre icon as it stands today, and perhaps it's best if he steps back from it? Hmmm...

It is a shame, and like has been said further down, I don't like to complain ... but yep, Moon nailed it. Zombie action only goes so far - if we didn't care about the characters in his films, then the flicks wouldn't be so iconic or beloved. I always think referring to TWD's character drama as "soap opera" is such a silly and lazy thing, it's nothing like East Enders, Neighbours, Home & Away, Days of Our Lives etc etc etc. I don't recall "soap opera" ever being levelled at Lost, for example.

Super Moderator

United States
    my 3000th post.
    Pffft, N00b!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Pffft, N00b!
    I know, right? This chatty mu'h'fukka's closing in on 20,000 ... ... ... ...

I must also say that the headlines I've been seeing around of "Walking Dead slammed!" and "dissed!" is a bit over-the-top (e.g. on Yahoo News) ... because when you read what GAR has to say, he's not exactly spitting fury like a snubbed Kardashian or something.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 01-Nov-2013 at 06:30 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I see a huge neon flashing sign with "Diary of the Dead" written on it.
    Wasn't thinking of that one in particular, rather just kinda the whole newer 3 in general.

Pffft, N00b!
    Gimme back the few thousand I lost in various fourm hacks & such over the years. I used to talk some serious shit back when I first joined, under older accounts from boards long gone. But since I said what I had to say then, I ain't repeatin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I know, right? This chatty mu'h'fukka's closing in on 20,000 ... ... ... ...

I must also say that the headlines I've been seeing around of "Walking Dead slammed!" and "dissed!" is a bit over-the-top (e.g. on Yahoo News) ... because when you read what GAR has to say, he's not exactly spitting fury like a snubbed Kardashian or something.
    People always love to start shit. I love the quote in there "Walking Dead fans will take this to heart!" No, no we won't. Not really.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 02-Nov-2013 at 02:28 AM. Reason: blah blah blah

Dying

United States
    The Walking Dead is supposed to be a "drama with zombies." Even in it's original comic form, it was always about the interpersonal relationships of the characters, how they developed, and how they all cope with the apathy inherent in a post-apocalypse. The whole point of the comic was "drama with zombies," and the show is no different.

If anything, this season is on the right path. It's finally starting to feel bleak - not quite on the level of "The Road" or "Threads," but it's getting there. The darker the show gets, the better it will get.

Undisclosed
    I've been a huge fan of GAR's for decades and usually I will come to his defense in a second. However, he really shouldn't be out there criticizing other zombie media (especially after that crapfest, "Survival of the Dead"). TWD is some of the BEST zombie action we have had in years. George, I love you but if you can't speak nice, I suggest you sew your lips shut.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    “They asked me to do a couple of episodes of ‘The Walking Dead,’ but I didn’t want to be a part of it,” Romero said in the Halloween edition of The Big Issue. “Basically it’s just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally. I always used the zombie as a character for satire or a political criticism, and I find that missing in what’s happening now.”
    dabomb? Is that you?? ;D
    Last edited by Publius; 02-Nov-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: formatting
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Undisclosed
    Nuff with TWD, time to do a Dead World TV series. Zombie fans would be really confused with that one ... Hee Hee.
    I faved this comic way back when I was a rabid collector in the 80's and 90's. King Zombie rules!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadworld

And just found this link.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...orld-fan-film/

Wayne Z
    Last edited by wayzim; 02-Nov-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: cuz

United States
    "No, Michonne. Let the Governor go...he's just looking for a place to store his fish tank."
    HAHAHAHA. Well friggin said. Romero hasnt been relevant since 85. He has produce crap since. I respect the man for his creation that has allowed TWD to be born. But he better watch his mouth because he is alienating his fans. Its either envy or the man is so conceded he cant see the reality that his skills/beliefs will get buried by TWD.

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    I think Romero is a bit sour grapes because of the popular success of TWD. Not to mention zombieland, WWZ, Snyder dawn etc.

It's like he's the fifth Beatle, he has every right to say he was there when it all began and that he contributed to one of the greatest genres ever but is he still? No. And seeing how far the genre as a whole has come without him and the direction it's taken (away from preachy messages delivered with all the nuance of a he-man and orco "lesson of the day") that's got to sting a bit.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieparanoia View Post

It's like he's the fifth Beatle, he has every right to say he was there when it all began and that he contributed ...
    Fifth Beatle? Are you out of your mind? The man didn't contribute, he invented the whole subgenre.
    More of a Lennon or Mccartney then.

Despite his latest films not really living up to the first three (or even four as I really like Land, a lot) the man does have a point when he states that TWD is like a soap.
    A damn good one, but a soap nonetheless. Nothing wrong with that IMO. (Look at Twin Peaks, another damn fine example of a great way to play witihin the soap 'idiom' if you like.)
    I can enjoy it for what it is. But please, guys, it's not like TWD is the greatest thing the genre ever brought forth.

That would be Day of the dead.
    Last edited by krisvds; 02-Nov-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: .