Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: George Romero disses 'The Walking Dead'

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

The only "Soap Opera" items in 'The Walking Dead' for me was the ridiculously extended Shane/Lori/Rick thing, which was really running out of steam. But, this was in the comic, so we can't really bemoan the producers for that angle.
    Bemoan them for the angle, no. But it was their choice to really string it out as long as they did. I think it was the right decision for them to play it up and take some time to build it out as a major event, but it went on a bit long and at times was handled poorly in a ham-handed fashion somewhat symptomatic, as you say, of Soap Opera fare.

Maggie and Glen is the same.
    I somewhat disagree, they don't seem quite as clunky or overwrought. Human touchstones would be important to characters, so ignoring the interpersonal seems like a bad take. Though I do admit, some of the stuff with Glenn questioning himself & their relationship at various points in the past has been good, while at other times seemed ill conceived and unnecessary. Human frailty and faults are nice to see, but no one wants to see Glenn constantly questioning the basis and direction of their relationship and his ability and worthiness of it. We get it, she's super-hot and you're a former pizza delivery boy, but it's the end of the world and that seems to have loosened Maggie up a bit--you got this one in the bag, Son!

Also, the whole nonsense with the Gov and Andrea. Serious roll eyes there.
    Yeah, I don't mind the direction they initially went in, but they over-committed Andrea emotionally and underplayed the brains her character should have displayed in the situation. Conflicted feelings and being torn over matters, like Andrea was, is fine but it gets pulled and teased out to unnecessary and fairly unbelievable lengths.

I understand why some people attach the "soap opera" moniker to the show, but I also think it's somewhat unfairly applied as well.
    Agreed.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    "Where is Sophia?" was the TWD equivalent of "Who shot JR?"

I was hooked on a soap opera for a while at a time when I was out of work and I think TWD has a lot of the same feel as soap operas. Which is not necessarily negative. TWD is engrossing. It has several storylines running side-by-side to give some variety to the plot and character development. The only real negative soap opera-ish tendency in TWD is that they drag things out too long to maximize the amount of drama they get out of each big reveal.

Where TWD differs from a soap opera is that they have a wealth of smaller (one or two episode) storylines. Plus the show is not acting like it's planning to run for a dozen seasons so they do try to wrap things up in a season or two max.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Not sure if you can call it a soap when no one has an evil twin, or goes into a coma. Or found the REAL will in the summer home, yadda gabba. But sure, we've had drama, it's an AMC show for cryin' out loud, but damn if the zombies aren't consistently great! Romero... I dunno where he went wrong... I love him, of course, but.... *shrugs* Meh. I'll still watch the show. Not gonna buy any "swag" though. That's what kids say nowadays, right? (I'm 24 now... old man)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Not sure if you can call it a soap when no one has an evil twin, or goes into a coma.
    dude....rick is in a coma in the pilot...while shane is off impregnating lori.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    dude....rick is in a coma in the pilot...while shane is off impregnating lori.
    And remember the shower scene where Shane returned after having been killed?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And remember the shower scene where Shane returned after having been killed?

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Oh god... Oh god, you're right! Oh, what about amnesia? Someone's gotta get amnesia.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    "No, Michonne. Let the Governor go...he's just looking for a place to store his fish tank."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Oh god... Oh god, you're right! Oh, what about amnesia? Someone's gotta get amnesia.
    then they have to find out that they were a priest before developing amnesia and that their new wife is actually their half-sister from her father's 4th marriage.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    then they have to find out that they were a priest before developing amnesia and that their new wife is actually their half-sister from her father's 4th marriage.
    Sure you're not drifting into Greek Tragedy there?