Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Cigar Lovers/Connoisseur's Here ?

England

Any Cigar Lovers/Connoisseur's Here ?

I gave up regular smoking a couple of years ago but Im still a sucker for a good quality Cuban cigar once in a while so i've decided to start a collection. Like all the good things in life, cigars get better as they age, so the plan is to buy boxes as I go, smoke a few and then store/age the rest.

This is my first delivery from a contact in Australia (UK tax and excise is beyond ridiculous).

Bolivar Royal Coronas (in tubes (tubos) - Cigar of the Year in 2006

Just posting those photos makes me want to pour a glass of port and get stuck in but must resist.
    Attached Images
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    I do enjoy the occasional cigar, but am by no means a connoisseur or expert. I did enjoy some hand rolled ones from the Virgin Islands quite a bit when I was younger (maker eludes me), but that's as high up the ladder I've ever gone.

England
    I also gave up smoking several years ago...and keep meaning to get a small selection of stogies, it just feels like something I should be doing (Christmas eve, a Romeo y Julieta Churchill and a glass of nice cognac for example)

I've been scoping out this site for my first order, don't really know how good their prices are as I am totally un-educated in the world of stogies.

http://www.simplycigars.co.uk/index.php
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I also gave up smoking several years ago...and keep meaning to get a small selection of stogies, it just feels like something I should be doing (Christmas eve, a Romeo y Julieta Churchill and a glass of nice cognac for example)

I've been scoping out this site for my first order, don't really know how good their prices are as I am totally un-educated in the world of stogies.

http://www.simplycigars.co.uk/index.php
    I used to use this guy. http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/ before I started importing them.
    He's slightly cheaper than elsewhere

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    Cheers mate...bookmarked!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

United States
    I used to partake on a semi-regular basis, but I'm certainly no connoisseur. I tend to like smoother, less harsh cigars, as it is...which I've always imagined is looked down upon by "true" aficionados.

I've had some Cubans that've blown my doors off...that led me to never smoke without proper ventilation again!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Yay. My Montecristo No 4's have made it. Stealth shipping is not good for the faint of heart when a good deal of money is involved.

Anyway, these are very mild cigars for anyone whose curious about quality Cubans. A good "go to" cigar for me when Im not in the mood for a heavy one so i've bought a full box. Each one takes me a good couple of hours to smoke on and off. Great place to start for a beginner.

Last edited by kidgloves; 09-Nov-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: stuff

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    You are getting a nice little stash going there.

And as somebody who has engaged in "sneak importing" at various stages, I agree, it's always a worry until your parcel shows up.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    You are getting a nice little stash going there.

And as somebody who has engaged in "sneak importing" at various stages, I agree, it's always a worry until your parcel shows up.
    Its taking 5 days in total from Aussie which is fantastic. So far i've been sent a "dvd box set" and this one was a "travel pack". I was a bit worried about the smell with this one cause there are only the cigars and the Spanish Cedar box in the package. No tubes like the previous package.
    My last box for a while is in transit now and this is the biggest risk. Its a Christmas 13 cigar sampler with each cigar in the £30-£45 range if bought over here. Some of them are region specific depending on the market and cant even be bought in the UK. If customs pick up on it I could be looking at a £300 levy .

A customer of mine gave me one of these http://www.simplycigars.co.uk/cohiba...ck-p-2162.html a few years ago and it was a truly fantastic experience to smoke it with a good rum. Been looking for an excuse to buy one and the sampler was too good an opportunity to pass up. Lots of very good aged cigars in the deal as well.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 09-Nov-2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: stuff

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    Yahoooo. They made it. Never seen so many Regional and Limited Editions in one place. BEAUTIFUL.

Run out of space in the humidor. Have to start smoking some or by a bigger humidor.

Its my intention to eventually have something like this

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    Some singles for Christmas. Big boy Double Corona's. 1 to be smoked. The other's are going to sleep for a few years.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    Some more from over Christmas inc presents.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    More. Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro. Loved the 2 I tried before Christmas.

MY HOME CINEMA

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I gave up regular smoking a couple of years ago but Im still a sucker for a good quality Cuban cigar once in a while so i've decided to start a collection. Like all the good things in life, cigars get better as they age, so the plan is to buy boxes as I go, smoke a few and then store/age the rest.

This is my first delivery from a contact in Australia (UK tax and excise is beyond ridiculous).

Bolivar Royal Coronas (in tubes (tubos) - Cigar of the Year in 2006

Just posting those photos makes me want to pour a glass of port and get stuck in but must resist.
    As an ex-smoker (smoked for 20 years,) and a e-cig user of just 6 months, I already feel far, far better. No more coughing. No more tight chest. No more increased heart rate at rest. My blood pressure is lower. I can exercise properly without becoming breathless. I don’t smell. My teeth are whiter. My taste has improved. My sense of smell has improved. I’m saving a fortune.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Offined View Post
    As an ex-smoker (smoked for 20 years,) and a e-cig user of just 6 months, I already feel far, far better. No more coughing. No more tight chest. No more increased heart rate at rest. My blood pressure is lower. I can exercise properly without becoming breathless. I don’t smell. My teeth are whiter. My taste has improved. My sense of smell has improved. I’m saving a fortune.
    Good for you buddy.
    I did a similar thing.
    Its not so good for everyone though.
    Some of us still have space for a bit of bad living every now and again.

MY HOME CINEMA