Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII (film) - December 18th 2015

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Film, I love, but yes, increasingly, it is becoming a more mediocre experience. Luckily, I am a repeat watcher of films that I have enjoyed in the past, so my film fix is sated that way, more often than not.
    I pretty much agree with everything Mike and you wrote, but not this. It's just not 'true.' There are a lot of talented directors out there, working outside of Hollywood.

Everything Von Trier directs is worth a trip to the cinema, same with Vinterberg (Jagten and Dear Wendy were brilliant).
    Refn has had a good run of good films (Valhalla Rising!) as well.
    I would strongly recommend any film lover falling out of love with the medium the works of Roy Andersson: both 'Songs from the second floor' and 'You, the living' are worth watching.
    La vie d'Adèle, which won the Palme d'Or was great ... The list goes on.

On topic: Star Wars? By the time the new one comes out my oldest son will be 7 and able to read subtitles. If it comes to close to what I experienced as a young kid watching the original trilogy in cinemas it might just make him a filmlover.
    Going by the back catalogue of this Abrams guy hope is at an all time low.
    Last edited by krisvds; 13-Nov-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    I agree, there is stilll some very good films being made. One just has to hunt them down a bit harder. Speaking of hunting, yes 'Jagten' was a great little picture. That kid was creepy. Wasn't so mad about 'Dear Wendy' though.

By "...increasingly, it is becoming a more mediocre experience", I am talking purely from my own point of view of course. I seem to be let down more than I am uplifted these days. Although, I have to admit, I have quite a collection of films that I have yet to even watch. One of which is 'Chained', which I have been told is "right up my street".

I have seen 'Drive and 'Bronson' by Refn, with the latter being my preference. I wasn't THAT pushed by 'Drive'. But I have 'Vallaha Rising' and 'Only God Forgives' in the pipeline and he's certainly one to watch alright.

So, yes there are still great pictures out there. But the sea of mediocrity seems to be getting bigger and bigger.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I have 'Vallaha Rising' and 'Only God Forgives' in the pipeline and he's certainly one to watch alright.
    Valhalla Rising had some evocative imagery, but overall seemed increasingly drawn out as the running time went on and the whole thing felt...listless.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    New Star Wars coming out! Yay! Directed by J Jabrams! ...Not so yay! ...
    I think as a kid, Empire was my least favorite of the original holy trilogy. I liked the cool aliens and robots and stuff that seemed to pop up a bit more in the other two films. Also ewoks are so cute. Now that I'm older, yeah, Empire is incredible, but back then...
    Anyway, fingers crossed and all that. Can't be worse than Anakin's love speeches to Padme in 'Clones', right? Or *shudder* Jar Jar...

Undisclosed
    Hi blind!

(long time no read)

As a kid Jedi was, by far, my favourite film in the trilogy. I didn't mind the Ewoks one bit. What got to me especially back then was the busting Han out of Jabba's palace bit. Still a pricelss thirty minutes (give or take, can't remember) of fantasy cinema.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Oh hell yeah, all the Tatooine stuff in 'Jedi' is wonderful. Shame they ruined it with the CGI band and Sarlacc in the redux. Yeah, I miss this place. Sorry for not stopping by more often, but I only have so much internet time these days and ponies take up a lot of that. But I digress. 'Jedi' is the film that made Boba a bad-ass. Sure he gets eaten and defeated quickly and easily, but jetpack! Didn't see any of that in 'Empire'. I think Wicket's got great character, and Leia needed a fuzzy little friend. He's sort of her Yoda, I always felt. Why am I still writing? No one cares about all this. Anyway, glad to see the regulars are still around here and kicking, for the most part.

England
    To be a Star Wars fan, one must possess the ability to see a million different failures and downfalls, and then somehow assemble them into a greater picture of perfection. Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good. - Andrey Summers

Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    To be a Star Wars fan, one must possess the ability to see a million different failures and downfalls, and then somehow assemble them into a greater picture of perfection. Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good. - Andrey Summers

What a bunch of pretentious to$$ wank!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What a bunch of pretentious to$$ wank!
    I see some truth in there to be honest.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I see some truth in there to be honest.
    Maybe so, but I'm sure many/most "Star Wars fans" are candid on their opinions on the original three films, and more than candid on their opinions on the three silly prequels.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    She'll make .5 past lightspeed!

“A full-scale 1:1 Millennium Falcon has been built as well as the interiors of the ship for filming”
    http://screencrush.com/star-wars-epi...ennium-falcon/

Aww yeah!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Hooray! Thanks for sharing, Rancid. I hope she holds together.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    She'll make .5 past lightspeed!

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-epi...ennium-falcon/

Aww yeah!

Might annoy these folks then - http://fullscalefalcon.com/
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    So a friend of mine was working at Pinewood over the past couple of weeks. At one point he went between two stages being used for Star Wars, which has a tent on the side. In the tent are loads of costumes ready for filming, including sand people!?

In one of the studios is a huge black curtain blocking the view. He kneeled down to peak under. There was the landing gear of the full size Millenium Falcon they've built there
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Set 30yrs after Return Of The Jedi - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66579

At the company's annual shareholder meeting, Iger revealed some basic info about a few of their projects, including EPISODE VII. Aside from mentioning that it "really looks amazing," he officially revealed that the film will take place 30 years after RETURN OF THE JEDI. He also mentioned we'll be seeing some "familiar faces," all but confirming that the vets of this franchise, including Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Calrissian, and a certain former carpenter, will be making their triumphant returns in the new installment.
    Filming to start in May at Pinewood Studios - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26639322

I walked around the the outside of Pinewood last weeked and there's a huuuge outdoor bluescreen... wonder if that'll be used for it?
    -Carl Sagan