Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII (film) - December 18th 2015

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Wow why would you have an outside bluescreen? What if it rained? It is England after all...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Wow why would you have an outside bluescreen? What if it rained? It is England after all...
    Interesting point! But there it was... It was big, blue, and had all the little crosses running up/down it for the computer to keep track of camera movement etc.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Confirmed! The original cast are back - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27210448

Original Star Wars actors Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill will feature in Star Wars: Episode VII, the latest film in the franchise.

Other actors confirmed are Andy Serkis and Max von Sydow, alongside relative newcomers John Boyega and Daisy Ridley, both of whom are British.

Episode VII will start shooting at Pinewood Studios, near London, in May.

Personally I don't hold up much hope for these films. I think Abrams just hasn't got the depth to him to add enough meat to the the bones/characters. I think we'll just end up with super special effects (& lens flare).

I was watching a bit of "Star Trek" last night and the lens flare is comically bad!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I believe Daisy Ridley is the only one that's completely new to me. I like that most of them are nearly unknowns. It's not a big surprise that the original three are back, but recent rumors suggest that Han Solo has more of a significant role in this film than Luke and Leia?

I hope Von Sydow is playing a villain. Ghostbuster's Lord Vigo threatening Luke Skywalker? Nerd heaven...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I like that most of them are nearly unknowns.
    Mmmm, I said the same thing yesterday.

I hope Von Sydow is playing a villain. Ghostbuster's Lord Vigo threatening Luke Skywalker? Nerd heaven...
    Ick. What an unseemly association.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

Ick. What an unseemly association.
    Well....aside from the association, Sydow does have a really great voice for a villain. Better than Palpatine's little old lady voice, imo.

Undisclosed

I hope Von Sydow is playing a villain. Exorcist's Father Merrin threatening Luke Skywalker? Nerd heaven...
    Or even: Emperor Ming threatening Luke Skywalker? Nerd heaven...
    there.

Super Moderator

United States
    Well....aside from the association, Sydow does have a really great voice for a villain. Better than Palpatine's little old lady voice, imo.
    Oh, yeah, he's got one hell of a voice.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Personally I don't hold up much hope for these films. I think Abrams just hasn't got the depth to him to add enough meat to the the bones/characters. I think we'll just end up with super special effects (& lens flare).
    Have you seen the Star Wars movies? Particularly Ep.IV? Lucas wasn't exactly know for his chops on working with actors. The cast made 2 signs for George, one said "Faster" & the other "More Intense" as apparently these were A) his two favorite directions & B) the depth more or less of direction given to actors.

You can thank Lawrence Kasdan and Leigh Brackett for a lot of the characterization via their abilities writing dialog, as they wrote the script for ESB & RotJ, & the abilities of the actors themselves, plus Lucas did not direct those films.

That was one of the failings (IMO) of the prequels. Lucas alone wrote the scripts & directed all three.

Kasdan is on board for the scripts on these, so as long as the talent is good, even if Abrams isn't good with actors (which I have no idea TBH, but I remember good performances in "Super 8", Elle Fanning in particular), so I wouldn't worry too much. Put that "Oh Dear!" back in yout pocket for now.

I won't argue you Sydow's voice. But don't go hatin' on Palp. McDiarmid's Emperor voice is awesome IMO. By turns harsh & barking, sharp & waspish, mewling & factious, smooth & hypnotic, deep & oppressive & dirge-like. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    there.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Why do people always have to pull the race and gender cards?...

That picture is of a table read with the MAIN cast. There will be tons of other characters throughout this film and the following sequels, many of whom will be different races and genders, I'm sure. In fact, there's still another female from the casting call sheet released almost a year ago that isn't in that photo or cast announcement. And while Lando was indeed a big part of Empire and Jedi, this casting doesn't mean he won't be in the new trilogy. Perhaps he comes in during one of the future films? Perhaps he's being kept as a surprise for fans? I'm sure Abrams will have many different easter eggs up his sleeves for the fans. He always does. The announcement of the core cast does not mean it won't be more diverse in the final product(s).

But of course with any huge franchise like this, fans will always pick anything they can to whine about....

Administrator

England
    Lupita Nyong'o and Gwendoline Christie join cast - http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...oline-christie

-Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Lots of leaked photos the past few days. Including sets and practical effects alien creatures. But now....the Millennium Falcon and X-Wing.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/leak...n-and-more-236

Administrator

England
    Lots of leaked photos the past few days. Including sets and practical effects alien creatures. But now....the Millennium Falcon and X-Wing.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/leak...n-and-more-236
    Those photos of the falcon must be old because I'm sure a friend of mine walked through part of the studio a few months back, and looked under a curtain to see the legs of the already built falcon there!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Practical FX for the win. Gotta love 'em all the way around. Gives me a good feeling about this.