Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII (film) - December 18th 2015

Administrator

England

Star Wars VII (film) - December 18th 2015

Release date has been announced: Dec 18th, 2015.

So they have two years to get this thing done... Hmmm... Worries me some corners will be cut. But who am I kidding, I know it won't meet my expectations.

I know the 2015 version of Star Wars will have a bazillion ships flying around, and uber super duper "Force" powers being blasted around by super attractive young teenage kids. I know the simple space battles of the original Star Wars will be forgotten. I know the subtle idea of the "Force" which is almost intangible most of the time, and something most people don't even believe in, will be forgotten. And I fear a good simple believable solid story line will - in true Abrams style - be forgotten about in preference to contrived glitzy visual/action scenes.

Let's just hope I'm proved wrong!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65014
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I have faith that Abrams will deliver something at least within the same realm as the original trilogy. Certainly better than the prequel trilogy, anyway. After re-watching Star Trek Into Darkness after it's blu ray release, I think he knows how to respect pre-established material while injecting it with new life. Into Darkness really split fans, but I think it did a great job of basically remaking Khan's story from TOS and The Wrath of Khan and wrapping it into one film.

I keep hearing that we should be seeing official casting news within the next month or so. Including which of the original cast are definitely returning as well as the new cast, which most feel will be the children of Luke, Han/Leia.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Into Darkness really split fans, but I think it did a great job of basically remaking Khan's story from TOS and The Wrath of Khan and wrapping it into one film.
    That film worried me, as it demonstrated what I describe as "need to get to this cool scene syndrome."

We need to see this great bit where Khan is in a ship blowing the crap out of a meeting room - Well just 5 minutes ago we saw he could blow up an entire building easily? Why resort to harder/worse tactics? Because the script wanted that scene in.

Why hide the enterprise under an ocean? Because we need the cool "lifting out of the sea scene."

And then all the nonsense about Khan's magical blood...

The script simply wasn't solid enough and grounded enough for me... And then the rediculous swapping of the "death monologue" to Kirk, when we knew, 100%, it was a pointless spiel because he couldn't die.

Sorry, that film makes me more worried about Star Wars, not less. I feel Abrams with an even larger budget (no doubt) will concoct even more action and unnecessary fluff, no matter how tenuous/daft the required links are in the script.

I am worried!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Be worried. Most of you guys have already decided it's not going to be good even though it hasn't even started filming. That seems to be the natural order of things around here: hate, hate, hate!

As for Into Darkness:

"Enterprise under the ocean" scene......that was actually explained. They were trying to hide their existence from the natives. Sure, they could've stayed in space, but where's the fun in that? Shuttling in the smaller ships back and forth? C'mon....spectacle is part of the fun. Have we forgotten the MASSIVE ship scenes in Star Wars? Were those unnecessary, as well?

"shooting the meeting room"......it's revenge! That was the entire purpose of blowing up the "archives" earlier in the film. To get them all in that room so he could personally gun them down.

Administrator

England
    Most of you guys have already decided it's not going to be good even though it hasn't even started filming. That seems to be the natural order of things around here: hate, hate, hate!
    Nothing to hate, yet. Just concerned given this director's demonstrated track record and approach to things.

His CGI lens flair is the perfect metaphor!

I suspect the film will turn out OK, but just worried about the amount of fluff he'll put int there resulting in script contriving.

They were trying to hide their existence from the natives. Sure, they could've stayed in space, but where's the fun in that? Shuttling in the smaller ships back and forth? C'mon....spectacle is part of the fun.
    Nail...on...head... There was zero reason for it. And let's not even start with teleporters.

"shooting the meeting room"......it's revenge! That was the entire purpose of blowing up the "archives" earlier in the film. To get them all in that room so he could personally gun them down.
    ...To gun them down and miss most of them? A single rocket rather than a thousand miss-aimed shots?

It was nearly as daft as some of the scripting in the first film... Kirk gets thrown off the enterprise in an escape pod... Lands on some random planet... At some random location... Walks in some random direction... Gets chased by a monster into a random cave. Of alllll the places in the entire galaxy, Spock is in that exact cave.... REALLY?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Let's just hope I'm proved wrong!
    You won't be.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    One thing in Abram's recent films that gives me hope, is the first X minutes of the first Star Trek film; There was actually character driven drama/action in there. There were other glimpses too, but with the second one seemingly suffering even more with a weak script in favour of flashy effects/action, I'm worried.

Will we get the story, depth and darkness shown in The Empire Strikes Back from Abrams? Or will we get super duper action with super duper glitzy effects, never mind the reasoning, in attempt to win over the MTV generation?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    There's an open audition being staged for the stars. They're looking for 18-20 somethings, beautiful, atlethic..etc...etc.

It's teens in space.

I have zero faith that Abrams will the savior of the franchise, even though it should be nigh on impossible to get Star Wars wrong.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    it should be nigh on impossible to get Star Wars wrong.
    Did you not see the last three?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Good lord...

Rose colored glasses have ruined everything for people these days. "Teens in space"? Did we not see the same original Star Wars film??? Luke and Leia were both in their late teens/early twenties!! The entire film revolves around them!

Hop off your high horses for a minute and apply some of the same questions to these films you hold near and dear. You'll find those films have the exact same issues. R2 and 3P0 just HAPPEN to land close to Luke's farm? On an entire planet?....

Ireland
    Won't be the same kind of teen though bass.

Luke and (especially) Leia were hardly what one could call "teens" in the common parlance usage. They represented nothing that anyone knew in the 70's. They were "of their world" as it were. Lucas didn't write them for 1970's teenagers. Despite what he claims now, they were written from a very neutral POV. The prequels were absolutely aimed at kids, on the other hand. When I was a teenager later, Luke still meant feck all to me. Those characters inhabited THEIR world, they had absolutely nothing to do with mine. Obviously 'Star Wars' benefited hugely as well from the presence of Han Solo. Honestly, I just couldn't see myself liking the original films, as much, without him involved.

My problem here is that, A. this is going to be a Disney film and B. they are in this for the money. A. has obvious problems that should be clear to everyone. B. also means that they'll market it at a specific audience to rake in as much as they can.

Hey, I'll be very happy if I'm wrong.

But, unlike for the prequels, I won't be making any excuses for them this time, if they're rubbish.

re: The droids landing near Luke's farm. R2D2 was "on a mission". I've always took it that Leia programmed R2D2 to land somewhere near to Ben Kenobi...and subsequently Luke.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 08-Nov-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: for added brilliance

United States
    Yeah, I'm not going to say anything bad until I see who they've cast. I pray no big names. They should all be pretty much no names like the originals.
    Dang, only 2 years and a month to go. I say good luck.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's amazing what kind of rationale fanboys can make....

United States
    It's amazing what kind of rationale fanboys can make....
    "Heh?!?" he types, as he adjusts the Darth Vader tee he is actually currently wearing at the mo-mo.
    Hey, I'm not knocking it yet. But damn it, keep people like Sammy Jackson out of it. No business, I say...
    Believe me, I want awesomeness. I'm actually pretty optimistic about it. Sadly, the prequels were duds, but I did like RotS.
    Sue me for having at least some hopes/standards...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And then all the nonsense about Khan's magical blood...
    Luckily, what Star Wars needs is some magical super blood!

I'm not necessarily jumping to conclusions on hating the new Star Wars. But I hated both of the new Star Trek movies and I think the bias going in will be to try to do to Star Wars what was done to Star Trek like some kind of template. Especially since so many Trek fans enjoyed the reboots.

That said, I'm not going to cry if they screw it up. I liked Phantom Menace quite well, but I think they lost sight of good storytelling in Clones, and Revenge abandoned plot to give us huge fight scenes and an improbable and lame conclusion. Honestly, "You can't possibly win. I have the high ground," has got to be as stupid as magical super blood.

So I'm worried along with Neil.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.