Thread: McAfee Blocked HPotD....

England

McAfee Blocked HPotD....

About 5 or 6 weeks ago, I tried accessing the site, but got a page indicating that it no longer existed... I thought it might have been down, so tried again a couple of days later (on a different PC) and got the same message... Then again randomly every few days / week... Nothing - still that damn 'could not find the site / does not exist' message... on three different computers & three different browsers....

Meanwhile, the TWD series 4 mayhem is kicking off...

Yesterday we swapped ISP, so I had to uninstall McAfee Anti-virus & hey presto! HPotD is back!!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
    About 5 or 6 weeks ago, I tried accessing the site, but got a page indicating that it no longer existed... I thought it might have been down, so tried again a couple of days later (on a different PC) and got the same message... Then again randomly every few days / week... Nothing - still that damn 'could not find the site / does not exist' message... on three different computers & three different browsers....

Meanwhile, the TWD series 4 mayhem is kicking off...

Yesterday we swapped ISP, so I had to uninstall McAfee Anti-virus & hey presto! HPotD is back!!
    How do you know it wasn't ISP related? You'd think McAfee would give you a more constructive message if it was blocking a page for some reason?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Firstly is this a work or home proxy?

Neil may be right but not in 100% of cases, i used to work in a place that used Mcafee enterprise and the administrator could suspend or disable the proxy with a security key, if its your home proxy i would suggest trying that to rule it out. Otherwise, if you give us the name of your ISP we can check for you if we are blocked for any reason.

If its a work proxy, then there wont be much we can do to help unfortunately

England
    The problem is definitely related to the McAfee Anti-virus, as it first showed up on a laptop when visiting a relative, and then subsequently at home with two desktops. Also immediately before I cracked the problem, I checked that there was still no access, uninstalled McAfee & immediately checked again - and that's when everything worked fine again....

As I still have McAfee on the laptop - I've tried again. The page came up with a page not found & then a McAfee pop up showing a 'risky connection' blocked - I looked at more detail & then did a look-up on the IP address to confirm that it was the homepageofthedead.com domain that was the source:-

blocked.jpg

I'm just happy to be able to catch up on the gossip..

Administrator

England
    I'll let neil field this question then as it is McAfee and i think its down to his adverts

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
    The problem is definitely related to the McAfee Anti-virus, as it first showed up on a laptop when visiting a relative, and then subsequently at home with two desktops. Also immediately before I cracked the problem, I checked that there was still no access, uninstalled McAfee & immediately checked again - and that's when everything worked fine again....

As I still have McAfee on the laptop - I've tried again. The page came up with a page not found & then a McAfee pop up showing a 'risky connection' blocked - I looked at more detail & then did a look-up on the IP address to confirm that it was the homepageofthedead.com domain that was the source:-

blocked.jpg

I'm just happy to be able to catch up on the gossip..
    That's very odd! I went onto McAfee's site and entered the URL and got back "minimal risk"?

If it's not too much trouble, and as a user, could you not email their support team and ask them what's going on?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Its not homepageofthedead. it says the ip is the threat, not the domain name.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/65.254.250.119

At a guess i would say one of the ad's has flagged up when we've been scanned and included in the report, the domain is clear when you test it but the ip flags up as a 'malicious site' which obviously isnt us or the domain would be blocked, i suspect its a linkback to the originating IP ie a banner ad or pop up that mcaffee dosnt like. You can also request a review on that page too Neil.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    You can also request a review on that page too Neil.
    Done! Maybe you do it too?
    -Carl Sagan