Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x06 "Live Bait" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    What isn't going to happen, Governor trying to save his "family" by going to the Prison? I think it's more likely they're going to get killed off and drive him back to insanity / self-preservation mode, but depending on how they handled it I don't think it'd necessarily be TERRIBLE writing to go there. Obviously the Governor wouldn't be allowed in, that's not what I was suggesting, moreso that they might take in his new companions, then kick him to the curb. If they're attempting to redeem his character, I don't see how it would be so far fetched to think the Governor might try to weasel his way into the prison. He was a sociopath after all, remember the encounter with the National Guardsmen? Or how he treated anyone first arriving to Woodbury?
    Seriously? Kick him to the curb? He would be dead on the spot without a word even uttered, and even the Gov. Knows that. Think about it, all lined up to take their shot Michone, Daryl, Rick, Maggie, Glenn even Herschel.
    I'll buy that maybe he directs his companions there but it would be severely retarded on the writers part for him to make an appearance there to try to bargain, he's dead period. I hope to god they don't go that route or the season takes a major plunge.

United States
    Wait, you mean to tell me that even the governor, a sociopath, has some redeemable qualities that make for entertaining storytelling and goes to show that even an anti-hero can be a fascinating character if done properly? An anti-hero with some semblance of humanity when it comes to what he considers to be 'family'? You mean to tell me that we can break away from cliches to show that even a crazed power-hungry monster, by his own making, can sometimes be heroic at times as well?

It looks like the writers for "The Walking Dead" have been watching A LOT of "Breaking Bad" before this episode.

Of course, the fact that both shows air on the same network have absolutely zero coincidence, right?

"Say my name!"
    "Brian... err, the governor!"
    "You're goddamn right!"

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 18-Nov-2013 at 04:19 AM. Reason: adding stuff
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    Seriously? Kick him to the curb? He would be dead on the spot without a word even uttered, and even the Gov. Knows that. Think about it, all lined up to take their shot Michone, Daryl, Rick, Maggie, Glenn even Herschel.
    I'll buy that maybe he directs his companions there but it would be severely retarded on the writers part for him to make an appearance there to try to bargain, he's dead period. I hope to god they don't go that route or the season takes a major plunge.
    Right, because Michonne, Daryl, Rick, Maggie, Glenn, and Herschel will find no shame or guilt in putting a bullet in the head of the man with two women and a child clinging to his legs. Seems totally in character with them. I've read two reviews of the show and saw a number of people on IMDB suggest he might go to prison for help. It's not as implausible as you're attempting to make it seem, guy.
    Last edited by JonOfTheShred; 18-Nov-2013 at 04:26 AM. Reason: asdshgdfj

England
    Hey! Where's my weekly fix of the crossbow toting, sweaty, but lovable redneck Daryl?

Seriously though the "governor-sode" was pretty neat, looks like our boy had a pretty rough time on the road (yet still managed to get some ass by the end of the episode). Judging from the shots of next weeks show, looks to be another "prison-lite" episode as well.

One gripe...not convinced that ripping a walkers throat out will kill it...what was going on there?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Twitching

United States
    I think the throat-rip was meant to depict him reaching in and severing the spine. IRL it would be much more difficult than that of course, but not for the reason(s) many might think. The wind pipe is like garden-hose tough cartilage-lined tissue, and would still be a significant impediment to a frontal spine-reach even in a very putrescent corpse. HOWEVER, I believe that from the sheer savagery of the Gov's improvised Walker-kills in the pit, we viewers were meant to take away that he'd tapped into that reservoir of fury, regret and pain he's walled against since losing Penny. I mean the bone pulled through the head thing was almost as implausible, but looked rather badass.

I rather liked this episode in some ways, especially his chess conversation with the little girl. One of the things I do have an objection about is the shape he was depicted in moments before meeting that family unit, he'd just sort of flopped over in the street and was looking up from the ground at the girl in the window. Just before that a Walker angled within inches of him, and he didn't alter his shuffling pace one bit, instead just sorta leaning out of the way to let it overshoot him with its lunge. Hours later he's up to the nursing home fiasco? And THEN the pit-kills?

The only other thing I disliked was how once again he has this improbable physical happenings-based luck. Ie: The other woman in the group manages to twist her angle walking on level ground, but the Gov can fall feet-first into an eight foot pit while at a near-run, the fall catching him completely by surprise, then bounce back to his feet unharmed and trashing Walkers barehanded like nobody's business. Yes, one could argue adrenaline could see him through such a life-or-death situation, but that would presuppose next week seeing him injured...which I very much get the sense isn't/won't be the case.

Other than that it was an interesting take on the Gov, but I'd rather they not lose the event related to Carol in the shuffle AGAIN because other significant things are happening in the interim. It's another example of how her being unaccounted for during the death of Lori stuff...and Daryl kinda finding her as a script-afterthought once that stuff was played out. I don't think I'm alone in saying I want to see how things go down between Daryl and Rick when Rick tells the man that ONCE AGAIN he's made the call to leave someone Daryl deeply cares for behind. Lay everything else aside, and there's still the fact that Rick did this with Merle...and at THAT time Rick had a LARGE # of people to back up his account, plus T-Dog taking responsibility for dropping the handcuff key through the grate. Even with all that, Daryl was furious.

Now, all Rick has is "I made a choice for myself, she had to go Daryl." This view into what's been going on with the Gov is interesting in a way (at least until the extreme improbability of stumbling across his former cronies while on foot fleeing from Walkers)...but I feel it sort of comes at a bad time because it reduces the tension of what's between Rick and Daryl. You could feel it when he was putting it off eating peas or beans or whatever from the garden with Carl, but will that necessarily be true after two no-Prison episodes in a row? I felt like the story was very engaged at the Prison right now. Is the worst over? A question undoubtedly on many a viewer's mind even though realistically we know the answer is "No" because its a TV show...I guess I'm just saying that, say last season...when not much was happening in one locale or the other, it was easy to pingpong the focus from Woodbury to the Prison and back. Right now though it ALMOST feels like a cliffhanger...especially since we are perilously low on episodes before the mid-season break. I for one will be PISSED if they've devised a way to put off that hard convo between Rick and Daryl until the 2nd half of the season. Especially if it's because they're current ponging over to Governor TV three episodes in a row (if that's how it goes down.)

So, final analysis: A lot of interesting stuff, but given the very nature of the plot-content, these episodes could've been placed better with regards to the structure of the season, since they aren't yet continuity-tied-in. I'm afraid they're gonna focus a significant amount on the Gov playing house with his Replacement Penny and New Sex Toy (which leaves sprained-ankle chick as Walker food at some point)...though I'm not ready to go all Chicken Little based on one episode and strong indications it'll be at least two episodes in a row.

Edit/Further Note: As to the debate about whether this or that character at the Prison would kill the Governor if he showed up there with 2 women and a little girl hanging onto him: I believe that even if almost all of them went soft, Michonne's "If he was in front of me right now I'd cut him in half, because that's the way it has to be" would remain in effect. Michonne ISN'T angry anymore. She's beyond emotion where it comes to the Governor. Now he's simply a piece of vermin in need of being put down in Michonne's mind. I think she's been ready to chop him up on a moment's notice for long enough that unless someone held her at bay via firearms, Michonne would be over or through the fence and on the Gov before he could finish two sentences once she was on scene. Her not going out anymore is recognition that Daryl's right, the trail is ice-cold (if only they knew, but they dont)...NOT her relenting in her determination to kill the man at the earliest opportunity. In Michonne's mind, when that bullet passed through Andrea's skull, pen was put to paper and the Gov's death warrant was signed, sealed, and all that remains is delivery.
    Last edited by Wyldwraith; 18-Nov-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: More to say.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    Right, because Michonne, Daryl, Rick, Maggie, Glenn, and Herschel will find no shame or guilt in putting a bullet in the head of the man with two women and a child clinging to his legs. Seems totally in character with them. I've read two reviews of the show and saw a number of people on IMDB suggest he might go to prison for help. It's not as implausible as you're attempting to make it seem, guy.
    All due respect dude, if they go that route with the Gov "requesting help" the show takes a major tumble after an awesome buildup. So much bloodshed and our heroes are not gonna care who he's with. They will shoot first and ask questions later. Too much horrific history with this guy for Michone and company to care what he has to say at this point.

Super Moderator

UK
    A tip-top episode there. Good on them for not just diving straight back into 'crazy Governor' territory. They wanted to avoid a one-note villain in season three, so it's good that they're redressed the balance again here - you actually feel sorry for him - and it was good to see him in a fatherly role with the little girl. He's got a little snifter of something to live for again - he was done and dusted until he saw the girl in the window.

Nice to get away from the prison - and all those characters too - explore a separate part of this world, albeit with familiar characters (or just character, depending on if you've read the tie-in novels). Morrissey has done a grand job playing the character, giving him plenty of shading so he's not just a nutjob - this is a complex human being, capable of both foul and good deeds.

I was very satisfied with this episode - I'm eagerly looking forward to the next episode, particularly because Martinez is the leader of a new group - will there be a power struggle? We'll just have to wait and see, but it should be interesting.

One thing - I'm wondering if the dude who played Shumpert got a gig elsewhere and will get written out off-screen (e.g. Martinez informs Phil that Shumpert got snuffed out a while back). We see three tents, but we never actually see Shumpert himself.

Good on Martinez & Shumpert for ditching The Governor too - they only went along with him because they were just too stunned to do anything else, but clearly with a moment to breathe they were able to decide to ditch him, so good on them for that ... it redeems their characters and sets them apart from TG's evil deeds a bit, even though there is blood on their hands too.

I liked that they went back to the place where the army guys were staged (the truck was the same one that had the chopper on it). Nice touch.

Finally - they addressed the "why not just go and live in Woodbury?" angle that some folks were saying across the internet after 3x16. For one thing, as we've already discussed at length, it wasn't strong enough against people, but then also - as this showed - there's nothing to go back to anyway as it's all burned down now. I liked that they addressed that little querie from some sectors of the fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Im sure this was a merging of the novels and the tv show. Those new characters are from the first TWD novel. Not really sure though because I couldn't make it all the way through due to the terrible way it was written.
    Anyway, this episode was a nice surprise. Would have liked to have seen more Governor on the road though
    Aye, they're clearly been dipping into the novels. This episode took elements from "The Road to Woodbury", and I wonder if the next episode will take elements from "The Rise of The Governor".

On the novels and a theory on how they might tie-in some of that content to the show:

So yeah, we've got Lily in the picture now, who didn't turn up until Novel #2 - the sisters and ailing father is straight out of TRTW, but in that they were a travelling band of musicians IIRC. In the book the little girl was Penny before she died. It was cool to see them take some pieces of that book and rework them into the show.

Now, with The Governor encountering Martinez again, I'm wondering if they'll take a bit out of the second novel. In that they had a camp with lots of tents (including a Circus Tent) ... we see a glimpse of a tent city in the preview for 4x07, so perhaps they're bringing in that part of the second novel. Now - in that second novel, Bob Stookey was also at the tent city ... and this is all happening before the events of 4x01 (the timeline for 4x06 and seemingly all of 4x07 is in-between and, probably, leading up to the final shot of 4x05) ... in the 2nd book the tent city gets attacked and wiped out, and Bob goes off with Lily and a couple of others and eventually encounter Martinez and get taken to Woodbury.

However, what I'm thinking is ... might Bob Stookey be at this tent city run by Martinez? Does the camp get taken out? Is Bob working for The Governor? Or has Bob just accidentally ended up getting caught in the middle?

As a side note - he calls himself "Brian" - it's revealed in the first book that "The Governor" we know is actually Penny's Uncle, and it was initially his brother who went bat-shit crazy before they ever reached Woodbury, and that he then assumed his brother's identity when he took over from the original leader of Woodbury. So ... is that a hint that the TV show Governor is also just Penny's Uncle ... what about that picture? An Uncle with his Niece and Sister-in-Law? An Uncle with his Wife and Niece? Or is he truly Penny's father?

As for the novels themselves - I've read the first two, and will probably continue to read them - at least to wrap up The Governor storyline anyway. I do agree though, they're badly written. The near constant use of character's full names in the prose is laughable (and frustrating) - just call her Lily! She doesn't need to be addressed formally as "Lily Caul", likewise "Philip Blake" ... constantly ... that pissed me off so much.

Also, constantly informing us of the weather - the number of times I read variations of "gun metal grey sky" ... Christ!

Furthermore, I routinely was ahead of the action in the book - Bonansinga takes way too long to describe a horde of walkers, so as you're traipsing through generic descriptions of identikit walkers, you already know where the scene is going half-a-page-or-more before you actually get there. There's also a bad tendancy to leave chapters on artificial cliifhangers, often with dreadful lines of text along the lines of "But they never heard the army of walkers approaching from behind..." - which is just daft anyway, because that sort of thing happens several times and you then think 'how on earth did these non-observant, constantly-distracted people ever survive this long?!'.

I endure the sloppy prose for the plot - I just want to fill in the gaps and get some additional story info ... but they really need to find a new writer, because Bonansinga's writing is not good. I'm surprised he's been able to maintain a career as a writer, to be frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    One gripe...not convinced that ripping a walkers throat out will kill it...what was going on there?
    Perhaps Wyld is right - he was trying to disable the spine ... or just a way to temporarily disable the walker so he could deal with the other, and then come back to sort it out good and proper. The throat rip and the bone-head-tear WERE AWESOME!

England
    Oh, why do you guys think he ditched the food he was given from the girls?

I thought it was because "The Governor" distributes gifts and food from a place of security and authority...and the act of receiving further charity from these people really hurt his pride.

Any other ideas?

As an aside, I really want that mac he wears with the upright collar...it's well smart.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 18-Nov-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post

The only other thing I disliked was how once again he has this improbable physical happenings-based luck. Ie: The other woman in the group manages to twist her angle walking on level ground, but the Gov can fall feet-first into an eight foot pit while at a near-run, the fall catching him completely by surprise, then bounce back to his feet unharmed and trashing Walkers barehanded like nobody's business. Yes, one could argue adrenaline could see him through such a life-or-death situation, but that would presuppose next week seeing him injured...which I very much get the sense isn't/won't be the case.
    Yeah, that did annoy the hell out of me. Odd happenstance that makes sense or is a rare occurrence is fine, but after a point it throws all likelihood out the window and that makes me roll my eyes.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Twitching

United States
    Agreed Aces,
    Much has been said about the Gov's slasher-villain-like powers of stealth, great physical strength and fortitude, and what seems to be immunity to serious physical harm not resulting from a moment of high drama. Not to mention his absolutely charmed sense of perfect timing.

One more recent example: Daryl, Michonne, Tyreese and the boozer-medic (I forget his name) enter a building one would expect to be LESS infested with Walkers by FAR when compared with a nursing home full of all-but-completely helpless seniors apparently abandoned wherever they happened to be when the proverbial feces struck the fan, PLUS the slain members of the staff who remained. yet Daryl and Co. only got about sixty seconds of breathing room before Walkers were coming at them from all sides, and from which they escape by a very narrow, very high-risk margin. (Having to bust open a door you KNOW there are a bunch of Walkers behind, with the intention of ploughing through them no less means your potential escape routes have been narrowed almost to the point of nonexistence.)

The Governor, on the other hand, encounters one wheelchair-bound Walker, and one he's able to trap in its room easily, and is setting about completing his oxygen-bottle retrieval errand when he encounters some undead staff members and a couple of old-folk zombies, all coming from one direction, and all easy enough to avoid that he reverses direction for a moment to grab the oxygen tank, and STILL manages to exit by the same means he entered.

Now you can call that nitpicking if you want, but there's a well-established pattern of what can only be described as remarkably good breaks on the Governor's part when it comes to him being forced by circumstance into relatively close quarters with numerous Walkers that at times are downright inexplicable. One of the only examples of someone else being so absolutely swarmed by Walkers, yet emerging bite-free was Tyreese's quasi-suicidal delay in leaving the stranded vehicle, followed by his going all Viking-Berserker with a HORDE closing in from all angles. That scene, where he's madly whacking Walkers with a plain old claw hammer and furious abandon, while COMPLETELY surrounded, and multiple rows of Walkers deep around him was the sort of foolish physical prelude that usually leads to the classic "Zombies bear the victim to the ground via the press of bodies, as the closest zombies in the circle start hauling out lengths of the victims intestines, while others pull the abdominal cavity wide open" scene. When Tyreese hit that Walker from behind that had been obscuring him from the current camera angle and trots on over all fine and dandy physically, with NO depiction of an utterly exhausted Tyreese that might've helped overcome the implausibility of the scene....combined with him wearing a TANK TOP and as previously mentioned armed primarily with an extremely short-range melee weapon...yea that bugged the hell outta me.

All that said, that was only ONE instance of utterly implausible bite-free escape from an encircling horde by Tyreese. I can, just BARELY, suspend my disbelief by justifying it as one-time absolutely freakish luck. The Governor seems to make it a habit, dramatically lowering our sense of Walker danger-levels by making individual Walkers seem so impotent as to merit only the slightest motion in response to it advancing upon him, and proving able to blithely ignore and maneuver among numerous Walkers without coming to harm. A perfect example of this was Andrea turning all those Warehouse-Walkers loose on him from only two or three steps away, yet not only did the Gov emerge victorious despite running out of ammo as the swarm closed in, he was feeling spry enough and cocky enough to beat Andrea to the prison and then somehow lie in wait for her while attracting no attention from any of the two to four dozen Walkers within twenty yards of where he grabbed her. Especially seeing as how he had to completely leave cover to do the grabbing and silencing, with no way of knowing if any of a number of reasons would cause Rick to turn around and thus instantly spot him.

Barbed comments about a Predator-like personal cloaking system are fairly justified. Especially the way he was intently watching the Prison until he turned to face the camera. The man is lacking half his field of vision, yet where's the head-on-a-tilted-swivel situational awareness required to survive all alone for however long it was after Martinez and the other guy bugged out. It frustrates me because David Morrissey is so very capable of effectively conveying complicated behavioral nuances in a host of ways beyond mere dialog. Posture, a dizzying array of tones of voice, subtle to pronounced facial expressions, even the sort of dramatic just-a-moment-longer delay in his responding to someone, that it absolutely goes without saying that it's a matter of writing or direction...which could be an honest enough oversight.

In a survival-horror-based drama however, especially one that's ascended high enough in quality (and therefore popularity) to suck in a large % of otherwise not zombie-fans, and which is given the consideration of any other well-done serious TV drama by critics and the like, those who are part of TWD's creative process on an episodic level are among the people you want and expect to keep surprising you by setting the bar for the show higher and higher.

Is it a minor thing? Unquestionably. Is it a very obvious thing to those giving their full attention to what's happening onscreen? I believe the answer to be an emphatic yes. The classic successful lone zombie attack is nearly always a stealth-grab/bite. The zombie lurches out from the opposite side of the tree along the trail just as you pass by, and smacks into you from behind. The legless/partially paralyzed zombie crawls out from beneath an old car wreck you stopped next to for a few moments. Etc, Etc, Etc. It therefore follows that a readily apparent degree of vigilance/situational awareness would be all but expected from those who've lasted this long.

Another plot-point revolving around situational awareness. The dropped fruitbasket, and then blood trail leading to the lame girl's tattooed severed leg. You watch Rick and Carol cross a wide-open area to reach the point they see the dropped basket, and you wonder how in the Hell a Walker even got close enough to make the kill since Helen Keller would've noticed a staggering corpse cross fifty yards of obstruction-free road/sidewalk/front lawns as it approached someone. In THIS case, however, they make an emphatic point of portraying the "hippie pair" as lacking zombie-apocalypse survival skills. So that sort of one-off you automatically give a pass.

The Governor is another matter entirely, and here's my underlying point about the Gov: If they focused a bit more on some of the behavioral details that Morrissey is undoubtedly capable of portraying, the writing wouldn't NEED to give him one series of implausible breaks after another to serve the needs of the story. Take the warehouse where Andrea turned the Walkers loose on him: If the Gov had done something like immediately (as in before he was all but in a clinch with several Walkers) bull-rush a Walker that momentarily didn't have another behind it, thus knocking it down...and then, say, jump through the glass of one of the windows, his catching up to Andrea down the line would've been much more plausible. Instead they leave an escape from a dire predicament offscreen and go with a Jason Vorhees-style "stealth blitz" attack.

The Walking Dead has, to be fair and after last season to my surprise continued to improve in many ways. It's a very good show, yet the difference between very good and absolutely great is a collection of small things done very well, or attention to detail if you prefer. Many times the actual structure even of an otherwise unpopular episode is quite sound, but the ball got dropped in one or two significant ways. Was it absolutely in-character for the Governor to tie Andrea to his torture chair after her perceived betrayal and demand Milton kill her? You bet. Was Milton's inexperienced attempt to stab the Governor very believable? Again yes. The Governor reversing and burying the knife in Milton's guts, then leaving him to die slowly and then reanimate to become the Gov's undead tool of execution? Does one need to ask?

Then Andrea gets all yappy despite the fact the clock is counting down to her being eaten alive, and completely stopping her efforts to escape every time she opened her mouth. ONE utterly implausible character action, and it becomes IRRELEVANT that much of the episode was great stuff. The overall effect of that ONE script-decision wrecked an episode and took away from the drama of Andrea's passing after the tragic farewells. Details. Ask yourself this: Out of the episodes you didn't like at all, how many times was it one key thing in the plot going wrong that dragged down and otherwise-viable plotline. From my perspective I've seen very few episodes that were simply garbage. On the contrary, 90% of the time when I don't care for an episode it's because of the proverbial single bad apple spoiling the barrel.

Super Moderator

UK
    TWD 4x06 Memes:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...x06-memes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Oh, why do you guys think he ditched the food he was given from the girls?

As an aside, I really want that mac he wears with the upright collar...it's well smart.
    1) I read it as him not wanting to receive gifts out of some form of guilt - like he was punishing himself ... it was a bloody waste of spaghetti hoops, mind!

2) Yeah, it's well snazzy!

Flicking back through it, I realised where he got the name "Brian Heriot" from - the side of that barn.

TWD: The Road to Woodbury Spoiler:

In my previous post in the thread I pondered if it was a reference to the first book's reveal that The Governor was Brian, not Philip, and that he was Penny's uncle ... I'd forgotten that he saw "Brian" on the building, but I suppose that in itself is a little reference.

It makes sense to not introduce that whole 'identity switch' idea into the show, it'd just muddy the waters and come off as a late-in-the-game switch that wouldn't be needed. So, indeed, that really is TG's wife and child in the photo.

That'll teach me to not pay Ludovico-level attention to detail when watching TWD!

I really dug this episode. Overall very good indeed.

As for twisting ankles - well, it's just one of those things - you can twist an ankle piss easy without even trying. Clearly what she did was turn her body without moving her foot, so she lost her balance, and it was just the angle she went down that messed it up.

I twisted my ankle a few years ago really badly on a slightly bumpy path when I lost my balance (and then, two weeks later - just as it was really beginning to heal up - slipped on black ice and f*cked it all over again! )

With TG, sure, he was running full-pelt, but the drop was so unexpected that he wouldn't be tensing up, and the pit isn't too wide, so he'd knock into the side wall and take some of the oomph out of it - plus it's just the luck of the draw. He could have just as easily knackered his ankle as not. Stranger things happen every day.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Nov-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

As for twisting ankles - well, it's just one of those things - you can twist an ankle piss easy without even trying. Clearly what she did was turn her body without moving her foot, so she lost her balance, and it was just the angle she went down that messed it up.

I twisted my ankle a few years ago really badly on a slightly bumpy path when I lost my balance (and then, two weeks later - just as it was really beginning to heal up - slipped on black ice and f*cked it all over again! )

With TG, sure, he was running full-pelt, but the drop was so unexpected that he wouldn't be tensing up, and the pit isn't too wide, so he'd knock into the side wall and take some of the oomph out of it - plus it's just the luck of the draw. He could have just as easily knackered his ankle as not. Stranger things happen every day.
    It's just all horribly contrived after a whle. If it were being done for comic effect in a spoof of the genre it might be hillarious, but it comes off as a bit lazy when you see example stacked on top of example in a single episode.

Uh, oh...the Gov get's his Governor-sense a' tinglin', just as...woopsie, young healthy girl turns her ankle on level pavement as the Gov rounds the bend to see...a horde of zombies

I don't think I'm too picky usually, but that's just lazy, and it's just one example.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    I knew i'd seen the actress playing Lilly somewhere before.
    She played Bobs wife Kim in The Unit. Well I never .
    I agree with others about the contrived falling over etc. Surely there must be a better way of setting the situation up.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 18-Nov-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: g
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    It's just all horribly contrived after a whle. If it were being done for comic effect in a spoof of the genre it might be hillarious, but it comes off as a bit lazy when you see example stacked on top of example in a single episode.

Uh, oh...the Gov get's his Governor-sense a' tinglin', just as...woopsie, young healthy girl turns her ankle on level pavement as the Gov rounds the bend to see...a horde of zombies

I don't think I'm too picky usually, but that's just lazy, and it's just one example.
    The bottom of that pit looked pretty soft to me too.. The Gov' landed in mud.

All in all, a real change of pace but a fantastic episode i thought. I actually found myself feeling sorry for the gov' then later on actually cheering him on.

Now thats some good writing!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The bottom of that pit looked pretty soft to me too.. The Gov' landed in mud.

All in all, a real change of pace but a fantastic episode i thought. I actually found myself feeling sorry for the gov' then later on actually cheering him on.

Now thats some good writing!
    I was gonna just say the same thing myself. I was feeling sorry for him, and then that scene where he was playing chess I was rooting for him ... it was also a creepy scene in a way, how he was talking about pawns, and protecting the King (and how that's the one you want to go after), and then she drew his patch onto the white king ... it was a strange scene (in a cool way), one part creepy and one part endearing.

We got to see the man he was before, albeit in scattered moments flecked with sadness and regret.

Don't get me wrong, he still has to die, he's done so many terrible things that he must be punished for, but yeah - it's great how they were able to get us rooting for the enemy (on a personal level, anyway). This was his chance to 'change his history' as the showmakers talked about on the behind the scenes videos, to try and put his evil deeds in the past after months of wandering the wilderness alone in near-rags, and become someone new ... but he can't outrun his past ... but now he just has something to live for again ... ... for now.