Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x06 "Live Bait" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    This episode is a good example of why a TWD spin-off series would work well I think. It was fun to see what happened to the Governor since we last saw him, him drifting down the road like a stoned Snake Plissken, encountering (for some strange reason yet uninformed) survivors, and what not. Knowing how the Gov can snap at any moment had me waiting for him to do so in nearly every scene.
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The bottom of that pit looked pretty soft to me too.. The Gov' landed in mud.

All in all, a real change of pace but a fantastic episode i thought. I actually found myself feeling sorry for the gov' then later on actually cheering him on.

Now thats some good writing!
    You're too late, Andy. I've already babombed the episode!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I would like to elaborate more but I got my hands on a PS4. Not adrenaline inducing but I didn't care. I enjoyed the story very much. And how lucky is the governor to come across two completely doable chics?

Agreeing with Wylde about reactions from Daryl but even more so I want tyrese, Daryl Michonne and Bob to sit everybody down and speak about the possible impending doom of 7,000+ walkers.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    Rick kills Daryl tonight...
    -20 points to you then

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    It was actually a pretty good episode. A little slow but it didn't detract from it.

This episode shows more of the world they're in, which is what I like to see. There doesn't have to be action all the time IMO.
    I just get sick of the same ol shit with the prison, and contrived plot threads. This was a refreshing break from all that. Looks like the next episode will explore things further.
    Last 3 episodes have been pretty damn good. Hope that continues...
    This is the kind of episode this (or the new series) cries out for. Stand alone threads of story line, that weave in/out with others only if/when they really need to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Don't get me wrong, he still has to die, he's done so many terrible things that he must be punished for, but yeah - it's great how they were able to get us rooting for the enemy (on a personal level, anyway). This was his chance to 'change his history' as the showmakers talked about on the behind the scenes videos, to try and put his evil deeds in the past after months of wandering the wilderness alone in near-rags, and become someone new ... but he can't outrun his past ... but now he just has something to live for again ... ... for now.
    I though the episode was going to end with him turning up at the prison and handing over the survivors to them, as he knew that's where their best chance was...

Nice to see I predicted wrong
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    -20 points to you then

- - - Updated - - -

This is the kind of episode this (or the new series) cries out for. Stand alone threads of story line, that weave in/out with others only if/when they really need to.

- - - Updated - - -

I though the episode was going to end with him turning up at the prison and handing over the survivors to them, as he knew that's where their best chance was...

Nice to see I predicted wrong
    Im expecting something to happen to the Governors newly adopted family as a direct result of something Team Prison do. This is then the catalyst for the Governors total flip out and war ensues
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Such a fresh and interesting episode. With just one episode they really made me care for The Governor. So many little cool touches like the Chessgame with Meghan and Brian folding the picture in half so he could forever shield his eyes of his former self. A risky episode for sure but one that beautifully pays off.

As far as what MZ had to say...

I bet Bob is at that camp in this coming episode "Dead Weight".
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 19-Nov-2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: User error
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Twitching

United States
    Still,
    You can say luck of the draw, but if I draw the Ace of Spades every single time we play high-card, the word "cheater" is gonna start rolling around in your brain. The ONLY time that an implausible break hasn't served the Gov's interests was his confrontation with Michonne, which as I said was a mandated moment of high drama/plot setup point.

We're back to an old gripe about TWD. DRAMATICALLY differing levels of threat posed by Walkers under the same circumstances, just because it's convenient. As for the "the bottom of the pit was soft" point, given that he dropped far enough, and had enough forward momentum when he went into the pit, loose earth would make it MORE likely, not less, that someone would twist an ankle or somesuch. The bottom is soft, so you hit it feet-first, one of your feet gets buried a few inches into the loose-ish dirt, and the forward momentum he had going when he felt into the pit provides the "levering point" on the ankle/knee. As for not tensing up, he was carrying a child in his arms and running from a threatening situation. You'd better BELIEVE he was holding her tightly!

I'll keep it relatively brief and close with a comment many have agreed with in the past. Under relatively equal circumstances, the Walker threat-level could be, and NEEDS to become more stable. Ping-ponging between "I can avoid Walkers with the slightest leaning out of the way" and desperate high-adrenaline moves required to dodge a singular Walker create a discordant note. EITHER a single Walker in a wide open space is a pitiable thing a child could avoid assuming no mobility-hampering injuries, or they're variable-speed, never know how a given Walker will move or at what rate/what level of coordination. They do a Zombie School for zombie extras, so this wouldn't be a terribly difficult thing to relatively standardize. I get that the mood/tone of certain episodes can be served by altering Walker danger-lvls, but I'm sure with a little thought alternative mechanisms that serve the story equally well could be devised.

Finally, from everything we've seen so far this Season, the general area depicted in the show is filling up with more and more Walkers by the day, similar to how the herd drifted into the woods adjacent to Herschel's farm. Daryl and Co. run into a mega-herd on a side-road, more Walkers than we've seen before...in relatively constant surges in Walker population at the Prison, the large herd partially on the road and partially scattered in the adjacent woods that the Gov and Co. encounter. You get the feeling that the writers are preparing us for a Hellish tidal wave of undead flesh surging in to confront the characters is in the offing.

Ok, really finally now: One thing I'd like to see, not all the time, just once in a long while, is the characters picking up on why a herd "happens" to have wandered into their area. Be it an understated depiction of a main highway that's impassible, that maybe is/was the only reasonable/viable way forward for a herd you see the Survivors hard-pressed to negotiate a vehicle through. Or Daryl and Co. on a run coming upon a group of recently-slaughtered foolish Survivors whose actions pulled in a bunch of Walkers...the possibilities are endless. I just don't want the appearance of large herds to ALWAYS just be "And suddenly the group became aware that there's a herd in close proximity." Keep the unpredictable almost-natural-disaster-like feel of herd movement most of the time, but every now and again feed us a visual cue that's SUGGESTIVE of why the current herd has moved this way (from the characters point of view).

As an example: The way they depicted it, you get the feeling that, if not for what turned out to be EPICALLY bad timing for a couple gunshots during the Rick Vs Shane and subsequent Carl putting down the Shane-Walker, the herd they flashed over to that was moving through the woods in a general flow that seemed to be passing the farm by was influenced to shift direction and pour into the area of the farm directly because of the sensory-stimuli of the gunshots attracting them. That kind of thing is pure gold, and I'd like to see similar cues for "And why are there so many damned Walkers here all of a sudden?" sort of thoughts on a character's part.

Administrator

England
    The only thing I didn't like about the episode - and these are petty - were:-
    1) After all this time they didn't know walkers only died from head injuries? Really? They've survived year(s) never having killed one?
    2) The zombie in the bath is still hold the gun?

As I said, small issues lost in a great episode
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The only thing I didn't like about the episode - and these are petty - were:-
    1) After all this time they didn't know walkers only died from head injuries? Really? They've survived year(s) never having killed one?
    2) The zombie in the bath is still hold the gun?

As I said, small issues lost in a great episode
    1) My impression was (particularly from the novel it was based on) was that they rarely ventured outside of the apartment complex, and gathered most of their supplies from other (empty) apartments ... so it is, just about, plausible ... although even I thought "why not just try the head, give it a quick bash".

2) Stephen is still holding his gun as a walker in Dawn of the Dead, and here it was just on his lap, wasn't it? What's the problem?

Administrator

England
    2) Stephen is still holding his gun as a walker in Dawn of the Dead, and here it was just on his lap, wasn't it? What's the problem?
    Holding it for few minutes vs a few years? ie: The zombie clung onto it for all that time?

Anyway, really is a very minor point

So this episode followed the comic did it?
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    1) My impression was (particularly from the novel it was based on) was that they rarely ventured outside of the apartment complex, and gathered most of their supplies from other (empty) apartments ... so it is, just about, plausible ... although even I thought "why not just try the head, give it a quick bash".
    She said she was in police academy, police will be trained to shoot at the body or limbs but not the head.

Not really the comic, we dont see much of the governor's background there but he does have a couple of novels detailing his history.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    She said she was in police academy, police will be trained to shoot at the body or limbs but not the head

Not really the comic, we dont see much of the governor's background there but he does have a couple of novels detailing his history.

Sorry my friend but that is completely wrong. Never taught to target limbs. In this order: 1. Center mass 2. If 1 happens and they dont go down HEAD baby(as they may have body armor).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Sorry my friend but that is completely wrong. Never taught to target limbs. In this order: 1. Center mass 2. If 1 happens and they dont go down HEAD baby(as they may have body armor).
    In all the films I've seen, (1) shoot gun out of hand?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Holding it for few minutes vs a few years? ie: The zombie clung onto it for all that time?

1) To be fair it was just lounging around in a bath with no legs, so it wasn't going anywhere, and had nothing to do anyway - nobody rummaging around in its apartment etc, so as we've seen elsewhere, when the walkers have nothing to do or nowhere to go, they'll just stand around (e.g. the walkers in the shop in 3x01 when Michonne rocks up to go aspirin shopping). Again, I recall it being more in its lap. If it has no reason to move, then why would it? Even for an extended period of time (about 18 months at most, but likely a bit less than that ... depending on where this episode fits into the precise timescale between seasons 3 and 4).

2) Nothing to do with the comics. It was specifically taking elements from "The Rise of The Governor", the first tie-in novel ... except in that book it was before he was TG, and the characters and situations were slightly different, but they did take a fair chunk of 4x06's content from that book and adapted it. Pretty cool. Certainly somewhat daring - a side-story not featuring any of the main original cast but is interconnected, and which is not sourced from the comic book specifically, as well as essentially entirely being a flashback episode too.

I rather dug the opening sequence set to music. It's the best way to do a montage ... just loved the sight of TG shambling through the streets in a kind of purgatory.

Administrator

England
    2) Nothing to do with the comics. It was specifically taking elements from "The Rise of The Governor", the first tie-in novel ... except in that book it was before he was TG, and the characters and situations were slightly different, but they did take a fair chunk of 4x06's content from that book and adapted it. Pretty cool. Certainly somewhat daring - a side-story not featuring any of the main original cast but is interconnected, and which is not sourced from the comic book specifically, as well as essentially entirely being a flashback episode too.
    Ahhh! I loved the scene where he got up in the morning and the rest of the guys had left him.

Going to be fascinating if these same men now just fall back into line again, or if they now see "Brian" as no one special!
    -Carl Sagan