Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: TWD 4x06 "Live Bait" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
    PS: I find it amazing that the vehicles in TWD that have been standing for 2 years plus, still work without needing a major overhaul.
    Erm, the green mini van they find at the kudzu-covered garage? They had to get a new battery, and even then they had to get the battery working again, so there was a fair bit of work to get that car working again so they could continue their journey.

There are times, yes, when you think "well, that battery would be flat by now" ... but on the other hand, it'd be too clunky/awkward/impossible to then have to write in the boring mechanics of finding a new battery - you've got to keep the main plot moving, so if it's not part of the scene at large, leave it aside and remain focused on the story.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There are times, yes, when you think "well, that battery would be flat by now" ... but on the other hand, it'd be too clunky/awkward/impossible to then have to write in the boring mechanics of finding a new battery - you've got to keep the main plot moving, so if it's not part of the scene at large, leave it aside and remain focused on the story.
    True... it wouldn't just be the battery though (and would you drink 2 year old distilled water like Darryl did?)...

Aside from the battery, I'd expect there'd be a few mechanical problems, with rust / corrosion taking it's toll and water condensing in the fuel tank? and Fuel would be pretty scarce - in the initial days of the outbreak there would have been a lot of panic buying & folks on the move - supplies disrupted etc.

At least Michone arrived on horseback this series, which reminded me of the 70s 'Survivors' BBC TV show, where they were were vehicle-less pretty soon after the apocalypse hit.

TWD has gone some way in showing the inevitable decay in the man made infra-structure. (Last series, when Merl did his zombie 'pied piper' bit, his tyres were flat, which I thought was a nice touch, and then there's recently been a noticeable increase in the vegetation reclaiming the streets...)

It'd probably be too difficult to do with TV, but it'd be nice to see the effects of time on the state of the roads. It's been a while since I read it, but I think Terry Nation's "Survivors" book describes how the pot-holes created by winter ice etc made some roads impossible to travel.

PS: re not locking doors - it occurred to me that if the stairs were wooden, they could have removed a section so walkers could not have reached the upper floors & and the living could have placed a temporary walkway over the gap when needed.

Dead

United States
    True... it wouldn't just be the battery though (and would you drink 2 year old distilled water like Darryl did?)...

Aside from the battery, I'd expect there'd be a few mechanical problems, with rust / corrosion taking it's toll and water condensing in the fuel tank? and Fuel would be pretty scarce - in the initial days of the outbreak there would have been a lot of panic buying & folks on the move - supplies disrupted etc.

At least Michone arrived on horseback this series, which reminded me of the 70s 'Survivors' BBC TV show, where they were were vehicle-less pretty soon after the apocalypse hit.

TWD has gone some way in showing the inevitable decay in the man made infra-structure. (Last series, when Merl did his zombie 'pied piper' bit, his tyres were flat, which I thought was a nice touch, and then there's recently been a noticeable increase in the vegetation reclaiming the streets...)

It'd probably be too difficult to do with TV, but it'd be nice to see the effects of time on the state of the roads. It's been a while since I read it, but I think Terry Nation's "Survivors" book describes how the pot-holes created by winter ice etc made some roads impossible to travel.

PS: re not locking doors - it occurred to me that if the stairs were wooden, they could have removed a section so walkers could not have reached the upper floors & and the living could have placed a temporary walkway over the gap when needed.
    What's wrong with 2 year old distilled water?

The way they cruise around in vehicles is something that's always bugged me. They never run out of gas, but you never see them forage for it either. They must have some place that's stocked up well on unleaded, and well out of the way that nobody else has found it and tried to declare it. But you never see them go there. And it would have to be a place that's setup for long term fuel storage. Normal gas stations don't have gas long enough for it to be stabilized long term.
    Realistically, all the vehicles on the road that long after the outbreak would be diesel. It's easier to come by, lasts longer in storage, gets better mileage.
    And if push comes to shove you can make bio-diesel.
    I know it's not a survival documentary, but damn, you'd think they'd put SOME thought into the details of survival since they're making a show that takes place in the apocalypse. They just pretend it isn't an issue. But at some point it has to become an issue. They can't be in season 7, 6 years into the outbreak, and all the cars are still going strong, no ammo shortages, all the batteries they need. That's just gonna be too much. In the apocalypse, those would be the battles everyone really fights. Battling hunger, maintaining mobility when infrastructure and logistics is long gone. Bridges and roads fail, major flooding cuts off access to many paths, violent storms wipe out towns and cities that have no ability to cope with it. These things happen NOW.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    What's wrong with 2 year old distilled water?
    Thinking about it - nothing - my bad call. I thought bacteria might be a problem, but I think maybe Darryl was seen to sniff it and take a swig without swallowing first, so it would have been low risk, compared to the water they've probably had to drink whist surviving on the road....

Weak 'Ale' would be a good idea in the case of a zombie apocalypse...

England
    Thinking about it - nothing - my bad call. I thought bacteria might be a problem, but I think maybe Darryl was seen to sniff it and take a swig without swallowing first, so it would have been low risk, compared to the water they've probably had to drink whist surviving on the road....

Weak 'Ale' would be a good idea in the case of a zombie apocalypse...
    "Hellz Yeah!!!"
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon