Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x07 "Dead Weight" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    One would think that Martinez should have known the Gov well enough to never turn his back on him... ever. Besides that, the Gov didn't even bother to follow proper golf etiquette by saying "FOUR" attempting to drive Martinez's head down the fairway!
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 25-Nov-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: edit
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States
    Martinez messed up. He was soft and The Governor knew it. He took advantage.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 26-Nov-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Typo
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Another AMAZING episode, i am really getting my love for the walking dead back this season.

Good to see ole 'one eye bri' didnt just stay one of the guys for too long, good to see martinez and the rick wannabe snuffed out.

Love the direction they are taking this, cant wait for next weeks!!

Also, it very nearly became 'the wanking dead' when lesbian cop and soldier got together

Is it really the mid season finale next week?! ALREADY??

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I will not speak of content as I can't figure out spoiler tags.
    Like this:-
    [SPOILER]They all die in the end![/SPOILER]

Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    There was so much that I enjoyed with this episode. Nice of Martinez to save the Gov's Steyr Aug. I loved the zombies calf coming apart(We Were Soldiers homage), the gov's pet lake zombie.
    Didn't quite catch why he killed Martinez? What happened there?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    Pretty dece episode. I had some stronger thoughts on it, but I immediately watched Boardwalk Empire which sort of fried my brain for the better part of the day. What an intense episode of TV THAT shit was.
    I know right! Blimey.

Boardwalk Empire Season 4 Finale spoilers:

I was gutted that they killed off Richard Harrow - it was so sad, he'd just got what he always wanted - a family and a wife. However, how they handled his departure was quite beautiful and moving - his death dream as he reached his ideal of peace with his face in tact once more ... and then just quietly dead under the boardwalk with the fresh sea air soothing his unencumbered face.

Really sad to see that character go - he was my favourite character - but there is a kind of cyclical nature to the season 2 and season 4 finales. Jimmy Darmody died in season 2's finale (that was a hell of a shocker!) and here his mother has been banged up for murdering his lookalike, and Jimmy's brother in arms has reached the end of his journey.

Still ... quite a bummer ... but well written and well played. I'll miss that character.

Anyway ... back to TWD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    The Gov didn't even bother to follow proper golf etiquette by saying "FOUR" attempting to drive Martinez's head down the fairway!

I liked how they didn't make a big deal - or barely even referenced - the fact that Tara was gay. It was just there and no fuss was made about it. If this had been a lesser show, and on a mainstream network, they probably would have based the whole episode around it and got all hand-wringy about it ... good on TWD for making it as everyday as a straight relationship.

I had a feeling that the big confrontation next week will be split across 4x08 and next year's 4x09 - kind of like how they did with 3x08 and 3x09 when Team Prison raided Woodbury. I'm thinking a mid-gunfight pause for shock - some kind of cliffhanger - and then we'll have to wait until February to resume the chaos. I have a feeling we won't still be in the prison come the season finale - I reckon they'll get kicked out of the Prison during the back-half, and then they'll have to deal with what comes immediately after.

Those familiar with the comics will know there's some really good meat they can work with there.

Immediate post-prison comic spoilers (Volume 9 of the Trade Paperbacks):

Volume 9 was all about Rick and Carl out in the wilderness together with Rick shot and Carl having to look after him and defend them both from marauding walkers. I think there'd be a really good two-episode-arc focusing purely on Rick and Carl ... I think that'd be amazing. Plus, the likes of Hurd and Lincoln have spoken about Chandler Riggs stepping up his game and how he is at the level of 'carrying an entire episode by himself' - as soon as I heard that I immediately thought of Volume 9. I'd love to see that.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I think it will go like:
    Episode Eight:
    The fighting begins: most the Governors men and the prison crew die.

My guess is Beth and Judith die much like Lori in the comics.

The Governor is shot by his own people.
    Sasha and Hershel might go too.

Episode Nine:
    Rick and Carl flee to Georgia and join with Morgan while still reeling from the massacre.

Episode Ten:
    Whoevers left holds out at the prison against the herd and make preparations to leave.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 26-Nov-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Spoiler tags added to comic book spoiler

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I liked how they didn't make a big deal - or barely even referenced - the fact that Tara was gay. It was just there and no fuss was made about it. If this had been a lesser show, and on a mainstream network, they probably would have based the whole episode around it and got all hand-wringy about it ... good on TWD for making it as everyday as a straight relationship.
    Did they say in last weeks episode that she was gay? I don't remember offhand now how I knew she was gay before. But I did know.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    Did they say in last weeks episode that she was gay? I don't remember offhand now how I knew she was gay before. But I did know.
    Yeah, Tara mentioned something about it just before she twisted her ankle and the reveal of the walkers by the swinging "Live Bait" sign.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Didn't quite catch why he killed Martinez? What happened there?
    Anyone?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Anyone?
    I figured:

1) There can be only ONE Governor.

2a) Martinez seemed to be admitting he had doubts about keeping their new group safe just as the Gov pummeled him. A big no-no with The Governor.

2b) He had just told the Governor his new Family would never last. Apparently (for reasons that make sense given his back-story), a big no-no with The Governor.

3a) Martinez did ditch him way back when, even if it's hard to say how much that had to do with the Gov's decision, it could certainly have factored in.

3b) Martinez admitted to the Gov earlier in the episode (earlier that same day, it would seem) that he wouldn't have fished the Gov out of his hole if he hadn't had company with him...which may well have really driven home that Martinez really sees him as 2nd banana material now (see #1 and 3a).

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Anyone?
    Pretty much what Aces said. The Governor took Martinez own suggestion of no "Dead Weight" and removed him off the chess board.

The Governor repeating to Martinez "I don't want it!" Just as he's feeding him to the walkers was his way of saying he doesn't want all of this and doesn't want to lead another group but the Hyde inside Jeckell cannot be controlled. Once Martinez was Walker grub there wasn't any going back. He tried to escape this fate but the Walker tar pit was the final reminder of the world they live in and it ultimately awakens his own beliefs. "You kill or you die or you die and you kill."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Martinez messed up. He was soft and The Governor knew it. He took advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I figured:

2a) Martinez seemed to be admitting he had doubts about keeping their new group safe just as the Gov pummeled him. A big no-no with The Governor.

2b) He had just told the Governor his new Family would never last. Apparently (for reasons that make sense given his back-story), a big no-no with The Governor.

3a) Martinez did ditch him way back when, even if it's hard to say how much that had to do with the Gov's decision, it could certainly have factored in.

3b) Martinez admitted to the Gov earlier in the episode (earlier that same day, it would seem) that he wouldn't have fished the Gov out of his hole if he hadn't had company with him...which may well have really driven home that Martinez really sees him as 2nd banana material now (see #1 and 3a).
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Pretty much what Aces said. The Governor took Martinez own suggestion of no "Dead Weight" and removed him off the chess board.

The Governor repeating to Martinez "I don't want it!" Just as he's feeding him to the walkers was his way of saying he doesn't want all of this and doesn't want to lead another group but the Hyde inside Jeckell cannot be controlled. Once Martinez was Walker grub there wasn't any going back. He tried to escape this fate but the Walker tar pit was the final reminder of the world they live in and it ultimately awakens his own beliefs. "You kill or you die or you die and you kill."
    Truth. Even such subtle little things as Martinez getting too drunk at the cookout sez to the Gov "this is a man who cannot control himself, & therefore cannot control others"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Truth. Even such subtle little things as Martinez getting too drunk at the cookout sez to the Gov "this is a man who cannot control himself, & therefore cannot control others"
    Yep. In addition to all that's been said, Martinez was giving away details about Woodbury - a place that TG never wants to mention again (Lilly has been asking him about it several times but he never tells her) - and when he got sloppy drunk that's exactly the sort of time something bad might slip out. TG wants to conceal his former self from Lilly, Tara, and most of all Meghan. He's trying to be someone else - so after he's killed Martinez, he's physically shaken by the act.

Also - a reminder - if you're talking about events in the comic, please use SPOILER TAGS. Not everyone has read the comics, or is up-to-date on them yet, so don't give away potential plot spoilers for the TV show or full-on spoilers for comics readers. Thanks.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 26-Nov-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I figured:

I'm beginning to think... that just maybe... the Governor might not be entirely right in the head?
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I think y'all are waaaaay off course saying that Tara is gay. She can't possibly be. Her hair is too long!
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"