Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x07 "Dead Weight" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 4x07 "Dead Weight" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

The penultimate episode of season four's first half!

Please keep all talk of episode 4x07 "Dead Weight" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Enjoy!

Episode 4.07 – “Dead Weight” - A new and scary chapter is unfolding at a camp outside the prison. Will peace be attainable with the addition of new members? Written By: Curtis Gwinn Directed By: Jeremy Podeswa

United States
    Well any compassion toward the Ole Guvna came crashing down. Yep mid season finale is gonna be bloody.

Dead

United States
    Wow! The next episode looks amazing!!

This episode was pretty good itself. I like the departure from the prison story. And it's heading in a great direction.

United States
    I can just hear the complaints now: "But what about Daryl going crazy and leaving to look for Carol? That was the only important thing to be seen!"

Super Moderator

United States
    Yeah, good episode...The Governor really kept me on edge the whole time!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Yeah, good episode...The Governor really kept me on edge the whole time!
    Me too! By the time the episode ended, I realized how tense I had become over the course of watching it!

United States
    The show took a pretty big risk with back to back episodes not featuring the core cast; but this works, and it works really well. Next episode is going to be fantastic. It's almost as the series is making up for the lackluster prison assault from 3x16. Guess we'll just have to wait till next week to be sure. Damn, we're definitely losing some people in one week.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Anyone catch talking dead and what the gov's speech gave away for next week? I will not speak of content as I can't figure out spoiler tags.

There was so much that I enjoyed with this episode. Nice of Martinez to save the Gov's Steyr Aug. I loved the zombies calf coming apart(We Were Soldiers homage), the gov's pet lake zombie. The story lines are on a collision course with Carol still wandering about.

Only the Gov can kill a mans brother and convince him to go along with his plan. I thought that was a bit of a reach.

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Anyone catch talking dead and what the gov's speech gave away for next week? I will not speak of content as I can't figure out spoiler tags.

There was so much that I enjoyed with this episode. Nice of Martinez to save the Gov's Steyr Aug. I loved the zombies calf coming apart(We Were Soldiers homage), the gov's pet lake zombie. The story lines are on a collision course with Carol still wandering about.

Only the Gov can kill a mans brother and convince him to go along with his plan. I thought that was a bit of a reach.

"They're gonna wonder what happened to their people"-so evidently the Gov's group does something to a couple people in the prison group. They'd have you think it was Herschel and Michonne, but scenes from next week shows herschel fighting. My theory on the 2nd half is that the big herd is drawn toward the prison due to the fighting.

I'm also interested to see who the third group is. If they ever show it that is. There is some other group of marauders going around killing people. It is pretty refreshing that they chose to show things this way. I'm glad they didn't just show everybody at the prison constantly doing the same old shit. I have to admit, I didn't see the storyline with the governor playing out this way.

I thought it was a bit of a reach also, having the governor kill his brother and then just sitting down for a talk about it and reaching a mutual conclusion. But it is the governor after all, and even in such a horrible world, he is the master of puppets.

I totally agree with Wyld, they need to stop making the governor seem like the Terminator. It would be so much more believable if his hardships happened according to the same logic as everyone else's. The prison group runs into problem after problem on everything they do, Walkers seem to have a sixth sense for them. When it comes to the governor, Walkers seem to be all but oblivious to his presence. He seems to have an uncanny ability to make everyone see things his way. His wounds heal faster, he's able to get away easier, the zombie apocalypse was the best thing that ever happened to him.
    Last edited by babomb; 25-Nov-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Always check out the HPOTD FAQ for any help with functions you're unsure of.

However, spoiler tags are very simple:

[ spoiler]YOUR TEXT HERE[/spoiler ]

Just remove the first and last spaces between the square brackets and the letters "s" and "r" in the first and last tag respectively.

On the Talking Dead preview scene of next week's episode:

The preview on Talking Dead got me tense - some of Team Prison are missing - has he captured Michonne? There's no way he'll just shoot her, there's too much history between them - plus that'd be a really lame way for Michonne to go out - plus-plus, she's too big and important a character to just waste.

I do worry for Hershel ... but perhaps he'll keep both of them as hostages ... yeah ... that makes sense. A bargaining chip of sorts.

Tense episode - it kept going in directions where I either didn't expect it to go (snuffing Martinez), or wasn't quite sure where it was heading - good stuff.

I can't help but think we're going to just get the battle started, and then they'll leave us on a massive mid-fight cliffhanger for 10 weeks.

I loved (and loathed) seeing The Governor return, that sick bastard ... a battle between "Brian" and "Phillip" in his mind until inevitability struck. Mitch is like a dog who's been whipped into obedience, the new subservient right-hand-man, TG's new dirty work guy ... his puppet. I didn't like Mitch from the get-go ... and poor old Pete, now he's stuck in a lake as the first exhibit in a new walker aquarium.

The bit with the cabin was cool too - a whole story playing out long after-the-fact. I'm assuming they took a couple of soldiers in, who then abused them (perhaps even killed his family), and the patriarch took his vengeance before opting out. Rather grim - and he kept the soldier's undead heads alive and writhing. Creepy and tragic stuff, and just another element that pushed "Brian" back towards "Phillip".

Blimey, I wasn't half on the ege of my seat at the end. I can't wait for next week!!!

Super Moderator

United States
    I think my only complaint for the whole episode is that with all the nicknames being tossed the Governor's way, no one called him One-eyed Willie.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I think my only complaint for the whole episode is that with all the nicknames being tossed the Governor's way, no one called him One-eyed Willie.

Thinking over it again, I liked how The Governor wormed his way out of the "Brian" facade ... the thought processes quietly going on in there ... the psychological power of the man - particularly in the scene with Mitch when he has him at gunpoint, and then offers him a smoke, and even though Mitch gave up, he still does what TG suggests, so it's a neat little thing to show how Mitch's will power has been sapped and that he's subservient. Various scenes like that worked really well throughout the episode - it's all a drip drip drip ... hence the leak in the RV.

In terms of pacing, I've really enjoyed this break away from the prison - we've had two really good episodes with the big bad himself, and the flu arc had come to a conclusion at the Prison ... it wouldn't have worked to intercut between the prison and TG. I prefer, if their stories aren't going to be directly intertwined, for them to have their own separate episodes. It works much better for the pacing within an individual episode (even though 3x04 was one of the best episodes of the season, the pacing was all over the place due to the cutaways to Woodbury where, as the case was, nothing at all dramatic was happening).

So I'm very pleased they've had this two episode holiday of sorts. We get enough time to dig back into TG, and get a proper introduction - and time to get used to (and invest in) the new characters of Lilly, Tara, and Meghan.

TWD 4x07 Memes:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...dead-4x07.html

England
    Jesus. Didn't take long for that mean old bastard to revert to type did it? I think he was channelling "Nick-o-tine" from the old anti smoking comic adds at one point as well "go on kid, just take a puff".

Really enjoyed these two governor-sodes, as others have said great little break from the prison, and a bit of a look at the outside world and outside of the shows core group, that never hurts. Oh, and I did say Martinez had better watch his back, I just didn't expect it to go down so quickly, the governor is so driven and ruthless!!!

Mid season bloodbath next Sunday, can't wait!!!
    Last edited by Legion2213; 25-Nov-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Dying

United States
    Pretty dece episode. I had some stronger thoughts on it, but I immediately watched Boardwalk Empire which sort of fried my brain for the better part of the day. What an intense episode of TV THAT shit was.

On that note, next week might be the intense conclusion of the prison arc we were expecting at the end of last season. Wonder how it'll play out? Wonder if it will reach the lofty heights last nights season finale of Boardwalk hit? I hope it does, this season has been quite strong so far. Would be good for them to knock it out of the park.
    Last edited by JonOfTheShred; 25-Nov-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: gvfbxch

England
    They need to make the prison uninhabitable next episode (or the 2nd part of the season debut at latest), either that or have Rick's group routed and let the governors people take it over, then our people can get back on the road.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon