Thread: Friday the 13th (film) - March Friday 13th 2015

Administrator

England

Friday the 13th (film) - March Friday 13th 2015

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...iday-the-13th/

Breaking news Tuesday evening as sources tell Bloody Disgusting that Paramount Pictures’ new Friday the 13th is taking the first Friday the 13th spot of 2015, opening in theaters March 13, 2015.

No word yet on writers, if Derek Mears will return as Jason Voorhees, or what version of the sequel they will use. There are rumors of a potential found footage angle that Paramount might be pursuing.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I definitely want to see a new Friday the 13th movie as it's my favourite of the main franchises. The remake got some things right and some things wrong (or even very wrong), but it wasn't a write-off.

A "found footage" angle? FUDGE NO! That'd be a stupid idea and totally at odds with the vibe of the franchise ... plus found footage is so played out now it's just sad.

I'd like to see Derek Mears come back as Jason, the dude's a legit fan of the character and franchise, and he seems like a nice and smart dude who really gets into the role.

As for the new flick, it shouldn't be a sequel to the remake, it should just be another entry in the franchise ... although you'll have trouble with numbering it, you can't called it Friday the 13th Part 11, and Friday the 13th 2 would make it a sequel to the remake, and they should move away from some of what the remake did (such as directly copying the look of the TCM remake - same director, same DoP, same producers, same 'evil-eyed old woman' schtick, same bits of 'rural redneck oddity' to certain side characters) ... also DON'T film it in friggin' Texas. Crystal Lake is supposed to be, IIRC, somewhere in New Jersey, and in the remake it just looked like ruddy Texas ... and make it so I can tell what's going on within the frame. Some of the lighting was so confusing I didn't know what I was looking at before it cut to something else ... and another thing, make sure the movie doesn't take half-a-friggin-hour before it properly starts.

There were many things I enjoyed about the remake, but there were also a bunch of things they messed up and did inappropriately. They could maybe try and strip things back to basics and go for scares, gore, and sexiness, at a classic F13th location, with a cast of characters that you care about and who entertain you (e.g. the cast of Friday the 13th 4, or the Asian stoner dude in the remake).

Hopefully we get a good flick out of this. I'm a huge fan of the franchise and would love to see more flicks in the series.

United States
    Agree w/ about 99% of MZ's post. Particularly the found footage angle. Part of the joy of the F13th series, IMO, is seeing Jason. Seeing him stalking & chasing at the end. In a FF film, you'll just have him popping out at random, or seeing him just in time as he swings a machete... One of the other things that set F13th apart from its contemporaries at the time was the gags. Seems like you loose the ability to do those (well) in a FF/POV film.

One thing I think they need to realize at this point: we need NO more reboots of Jason. He's enough of an icon at this point, we don't NEED the origin story AGAIN. By this point, he's Godzilla. Big G got enough films under his belt that by a point in the franchise, they didn't NEED to explain everything: G just showed up & did his thing, & that's it.

As long as you keep the continuity consistent from one film to the next, quit worrying about it & just make the friggin' thing. .

IMO all the franchise greats have somewhat transcended their respective series. They're at the point that you almost need to write movies with somewhat murky and ambiguous beginnings, that could pick up after almost ANY of the movies in the series. Then as long as you keep the details consistent from one to the next, you're set.

United States
    Please, GAWD, no-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o to the found footage. I also hated the remake. I found it completely lifeless, and nothing like the others in vibe at all.
    That being said, I'd like to see someone else give 'er a twirl because I can't stay mad at Jason for long...
    So, yeah, I'm game.

UK
    i hated the remake, i made it about 30mins in the 1st time i watched it b4 i turned it off, did watch it again, didnt like it, i love the original series!
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

As long as you keep the continuity consistent from one film to the next
    The original 8 paramount Friday the 13th films could be in the dictionary under LACK of continuity...lol

Although I guess I sorta know what you mean.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    The original 8 paramount Friday the 13th films could be in the dictionary under LACK of continuity...lol

Although I guess I sorta know what you mean.
    Yeah, LOOSE continuity I should say. But, there was still a general continuity, in that the way one movie ended affected the way the next began at least.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Wow so new part of series is coming up, sounds exciting.