Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x08 "Too Far Gone" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    The Governor must be quite a tough guy! He can be shot by Rick in his right arm (immediately following Hershel's execution) and STILL beat the lemons out of Rick's face using that very same arm!

My other head scratcher was that the Governor chose to execute Hershel (with whom he had absolutely no grudge) over Michonne (with whom he had huge grudge).

Otherwise, it was an awesome episode.
    You have to understand, the Gov. Was never gonna let Michonne go even if Rick did give up the prison. He was going to torture Michonne until her death. Killing her the way he killed Hershel would have let her off the hook, and the Gov. Was never gonna let that happen.

Ireland
    Easily the best series of 'The Walking Dead'. Some great action all the way through the first six.

F*ck this mid season break rubbish though.

Hopefully Judith is brown bread. She adds nothing to the show and her acting is crap.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Perhaps now that Tyreese fled with Lizzie and Mika, they will run into Carol and the two of them protect the kids and all is well; until Tyreese learns Carol's dirty little secret.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    Hey! Just had an idea for another TWD short for the show's website.

As we know, in the mid-season finale the little girl (Gov's daughter) gets munched by a walker trapped in the mud along with that sign, "Danger - Flash Flood Zone". My guess is that he was a fisherman that was trapped and killed near the river. A backstory short might be cool to see, eh?
    There could also be dozens of walkers buried in that mud. Could've been an entire group of people surviving the earlier outbreak upstream from that location, drowned and washed downstream from flash floods. All buried and awaiting stimuli to bring them out of dormant mode. That could be one hell of a story...
    Last edited by babomb; 03-Dec-2013 at 03:03 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Others have touched on the decapitation. Im glad it showed a blurred vision but that still didnt sit well with me. Im not mad at the show or going to write letters but it just bothered me that they had the Gov chop it off. The brutality of that asshole is more than established. Losing a man as good as Hershel was hard enough without the Gov finishing him like that.
    I thought he was going to chop the head off and then show it to the prison gang to scare them even more!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Others have touched on the decapitation. Im glad it showed a blurred vision but that still didnt sit well with me. Im not mad at the show or going to write letters but it just bothered me that they had the Gov chop it off. The brutality of that asshole is more than established. Losing a man as good as Hershel was hard enough without the Gov finishing him like that.

Minion those meme's are damn good
    1) I'd say they had him chop off Hershel's head because A) It shows TG has completely swung back to being a sadistic arsehole, B) It allows Tara to freak out and question TG's motivations and this entire war with the prison, and C) It allows Lilly to see just what sort of man TG really is beneath all that "Brian Heriot" bullshit. Lilly wasn't included in the war briefing, she was left behind with Meghan, and the 'safe by the river' theory proved to be incorrect and Meghan was lost (poor little tyke ).

2) Thank you kindly, good Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    My own attempt at a meme. well it amused me!

hehe, I was so glad when Daryl blew up the tank - he's always finding a way to survive in bad ass ways (the walker shield shishkebob), and with him lobbing grenades it just escalates things to a whole further level (the look on Tara's face - she's properly out of her depth).

Speaking of which, I wonder if we'll get to see some of the aftermath at the prison - what of Tara and Lilly? What of Hershel's possibly undead head? What of Michonne? OH MY!

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Hopefully Judith is brown bread. She adds nothing to the show and her acting is crap.

Harsh but hilarious.

If she is alive she'll have to go back for her red cups ... she's obsessed with those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Perhaps now that Tyreese fled with Lizzie and Mika, they will run into Carol and the two of them protect the kids and all is well; until Tyreese learns Carol's dirty little secret.
    Oooooohhhhhh! That's a great theory! That would be quite interesting ... there's also a sense of irony in 4x08 as well. Carol was teaching the kids to defend themselves (albeit with knives), and telling Creepy Lizzie to toughen up, and it was Lizzie who said they should get guns - and then Lizzie saves Tyreese's life. Had it not been for Carol, Tyreese would have been dead ... but the same goes for Karen too, so ... awkward.

Yeah, I hadn't even thought of that! Cool theory Moon!

Undisclosed
    Avoided these threads for a while as I decided to watch episodes 3 - 8 in a row after the very promising start of season.

It seems I have been missing out. Though on the other hand not having to wait for seven days to get to the bloody conclusion was also worth it's while.

The short of it: I know I have been (overly) critical, especially after the very weak handling of the 'Woodbury/Andrea storyline of last season, but these last 8 episodes are the best the series has ever been.
    I found myself caring for these characters, and that had been a while.
    A large part of that is due to the writing. They really stepped up their game this time around. Great dialogue, believable emotions, great acting all around. The turnaround has been very obvious.

Better direction; those two 'governor - centric' episodes were my favourites, especially ep6. So glad they didn't choose to cut up those scenes and switch back and forth between the Prison and the Gov's new family.
    (on a side note; The Gov with that beard and the eye patch; what a great Snake he would make in a new 'Escape from wherever' film)

Much better pacing! Episode 5 with Hershel's FLorence Nightingale act was a masterclass in how to deliver suspense and tension. A slow build up, characters you care for and a great pay off to the flu storyline.

That finale! Apart from a hammy Rick speech that drew some unintended laughs the whole assault blew the season three finale out of the water and then some.
    This whole season felt like a reboot of the Governor storyline. A pity it's over so soon. I would not have minded them postponing the final attack untill the end of the season and have them explore the 'psychopath within' storyline with them cut up rats and whatnot a bit further within the prison walls.

More shocks and hard ethical dilemmas; abandoning Carol, dealing with the sick in the zombie apocalypse, poor Hershel's fate, ...

Consider me back on board. Briliant TV. Couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by krisvds; 03-Dec-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: .

Ireland
    The show plays better when watched in a row.

It's weaknesses are diluted and the story progresses in a much smoother fashion.

Undisclosed
    The show plays better when watched in a row.

It's weaknesses are diluted and the story progresses in a much smoother fashion.
    Maybe so. But when I watched the season 3 DVD's a couple of weeks ago it made the silly Woodbury stuff and pretty much every scene Andrea was in stick out like a sore thumb even more. There is only so much hammy writing and over the top acting one can take in one go.

England
    Easily the best series of 'The Walking Dead'. Some great action all the way through the first six.

F*ck this mid season break rubbish though.

And she is ugly...with a short dyke-ish haircut...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Twitching

United States
    1) I don't believe Judith is dead. After the hue and cry over the Walker "dragging off" Lori's remains, there was a Fangoria interview with some of TWD people, wherein they definitively stated that a) Walkers DON'T drag off feeding-targets, and b) Lori was a special case. The Walker Rick dug around in to find the wedding ring didn't (in their statement) so much drag her off as incidentally move her remains during the extensive feeding process. They went on to state their intention to avoid such apparent ambiguity as it relates to Walker feeding-acts.

My take is that the baby-carrier wouldn't have been upright with only a minor amount of blood had a Walker gotten Judith. If it was indeed Judith's blood, that would mean a Walker either leaned down or was prone when it bit her to get the blood IN, but NOT AROUND the baby carrier. Even an infant has enough blood volume to cause some kind of gravitational droplets/spatter along the Walker's path as it moved away while holding Judith's remains. I don't believe the lack of all these possible indicators of Judith's fate is simply an oversight. Not saying I'm factually certain of my assessment, but I think I've articulated a sound enough possibility to merit withholding judgment currently, when there's just as much evidence that a human with blood on their hands/arms could've absconded with the baby.

2) Regardless of whether Lily's off-camera shot in the Governor's direction struck true, it would push my suspension of disbelief beyond its limit if the Governor somehow survived a sucking chest wound delivered by a length of steel I GUARANTEE was nothing more than wiped "clean" after an abundance of Walker-kills. Even conventional infection(s) should be enough to finish the Gov should he somehow survive that hideous chest wound.

3) I'm with you Aces. That was a .357 round that hit the Governor's upper arm. No way should he have been throwing those prize-fighter punches again and again, even with adrenaline to negate the pain.

4) Daryl spiking the tank turret with a grenade could well have detonated an already loaded shell. Even if the turret carriage was empty a modern tank turret is too durable to rupture like say, a rifle/shotgun with a blocked/obstructed barrel. All that kinetic energy has to go somewhere, and since a) It can't travel laterally due to the aforementioned turret durability, and b) The grenade was much closer to the tank compartment than the open end of the barrel, I believe it's at least possible that the force of the explosion COULD HAVE caused some sort of secondary explosion in the actual tank compartment. Either way, a badass scene.

I really dug the mid-season finale. No contrived cliffhanger, lots of MEANINGFUL action and moving dialog. All in all easily one of the best episodes to date.

Ireland
    If the breach was open and ready for a round, but the round hadn't been loaded, then the grenade could have travelled down to the turret compartment. It's explosion might have set off secondary explosions of stored rounds.

Last edited by shootemindehead; 03-Dec-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    ^^ Took him two attempts to grenade it? Looks like the first one (by luck) got "shelled" out?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Took him two attempts to grenade it? Looks like the first one (by luck) got "shelled" out?
    Two attempts?

He lobbed the first grenade, from behind his skewered walker shield, to take out (IIRC) two armed men. The second grenade went straight down the pipe and snuffed out the tank.

On the issue of The Governor's wounds, this image clears it all up:

I would have kinda liked to see him shot in the heart, and then in 4x09 see The Governor walking around as a zombie in a further twist of the knife, but nevermind - definitive proof that The Governor is toast. Interestingly there's that wound to his neck - did they cut out a walker chowing down on his neck? It can't be due to the bullet at the angle Lilly was at - that's the hole in his forehead.

He's toast, folks.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Two attempts?
    In the real video Shootem posted! He threw one down the barrel it seems, and nothing happened seemingly because the tank shot!?

Back on topic - As regards the walker shield.... Hmmm!! We all know those rounds would have gone through!
    -Carl Sagan