Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return of the Living Dead (book) anyone read it?

United States

Return of the Living Dead (book) anyone read it?

I just ordered this book from amazon and I have heard it was either good or alright. Wondering if anyone has read it....if you have give me your reviews here.
    I was in an unfinished zombie movie

Administrator

England
    It's what got me into all of this!

Popped to a local shop one Sunday, the cover of a book caught my eye and I bought it. Read it front to back that day! I had never even heard of "Night Of The Living Dead"!

A few years later I was in a video store hiring my first ever video, and saw a film called Dawn of the Dead and for some reason it screamed at me to be hired. I had no idea the two were in any way related...

And here we are now!

As regards the book, it's set a number of years after "Night of the Living Dead"... Annoyingly I lent it to someone and never got it back

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    That's so cool man.

UK
    i didnt even know about that. Is it a book of the film?
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

United States
    Its a book by john russo that was meant to be turned into a film but was replaced by the 1985 film knows as THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnoftheDead19 View Post
    Its a book by john russo that was meant to be turned into a film but was replaced by the 1985 film knows as THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD
    I still have a dog-eared paperback of Return (dale book,1978 ) which I'm ready to thumb through again, I think.
    The story is set ten years after the Dead first rose, and apparently were defeated (? ) well they stopped rising, but even a decade later folks were still scared they might rise again.
    In 1984, Dan O'Bannon http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0639321/ was brought on board for the movie ( initially optioned back in 1981 ) but he ultimately scrapped Russo's original story for a satirical script of punks vs zombies. Love the first movie, hate the sequels.
    While the book is decent enough for a NOTLD sequel ( In fact I borrowed a plot point of multiple plagues for my Deadfall stories, which are here in the fiction section. ) but I don't think it's aged that well. I've only read three of his books: NOTLD, Return, and Midnight ( probably his best writing. ) and they were mostly a bit stiff, so if he scribbled something amazing since then ... who knows?

Wayne Z

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    i didnt even know about that. Is it a book of the film?
    It's nothing to do with the film of the same name... The original book is true to "Night Of The Living Dead" and is set some years after it... No brain eating nonsense...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    im going to have to order it now!!
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It's nothing to do with the film of the same name... The original book is true to "Night Of The Living Dead" and is set some years after it... No brain eating nonsense...
    That is very interesting, I may have to track this down.

Oh, and your first post on this thread is the reason that I NEVER loan books out. If somebody had your power drill, you wouldn't feel like a git hassling them for it back, they probably wouldn't feel like you were being trivial for doing so, but some people don't value books and magazines...which is probably why they don't understand your reasons for putting a horses head in their bed because they failed to return that issue of Smash Hits you loaned them back in '87'.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 10-Dec-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Hey, the film is excellent. I showed it to a friend of mine lately, and she loved the writing. One thing she pointed out that I hadn't even thought about, and which contrasted so much with say TWD, is how the characters argued their points and tried to solve all the rising problems logically. You never go "No, what the hell are you doing, you idiot?" or feel that the characters serve the writing. All the choices made by the characters feel like decisions you'd make, were you in their shoes... Unlike, for instance, TWD.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    I think I'm going to be looking for this book now...

Why do I get the feeling though that it's out of print?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic View Post
    I think I'm going to be looking for this book now...

Why do I get the feeling though that it's out of print?
    It's available. eg: - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Undead-Night...ving+dead+book
    -Carl Sagan

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It's what got me into all of this!

Popped to a local shop one Sunday, the cover of a book caught my eye and I bought it. Read it front to back that day! I had never even heard of "Night Of The Living Dead"!

A few years later I was in a video store hiring my first ever video, and saw a film called Dawn of the Dead and for some reason it screamed at me to be hired. I had no idea the two were in any way related...

And here we are now!

As regards the book, it's set a number of years after "Night of the Living Dead"... Annoyingly I lent it to someone and never got it back

That's interesting. My story is very similar. 'Cept my chain of events goes ROTLD 80's book>ROTLD movie>NOTLD68>DAY>DAWN.

Oh, and my book cover looked like this:

returnlivingdead.jpg

It is, of course, Russo's adaptation of O'Bannon's screenplay.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    That's interesting. My story is very similar. 'Cept my chain of events goes ROTLD 80's book>ROTLD movie>NOTLD68>DAY>DAWN.

Oh, and my book cover looked like this:

returnlivingdead.jpg

It is, of course, Russo's adaptation of O'Bannon's screenplay.
    Funny, that zombie on the cover actually looks a bit like John A. Russo...

United States
    ^ oh you