Thread: Romero approached to be part of the Day of the Dead remake.

Just been bitten

Scotland

Romero approached to be part of the Day of the Dead remake.

According to Daily Dead, Mr Romero has been approached to be involved in the latest remake of Day of the Dead. Also it seems the producers have their heart set on bringing the original screenplay to life.

In the interview with GAR he claims that he was asked about the ownership and availability of the original screenplay. Sadly GAR wants nothing to do with it.

I don't know about you lot, but if the original screenplay is made then I will be a happy fcuking boy.

Please make this happen!

Administrator

England
    I suspect he just doesn't trust them to do a good job...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Original screenplay? No thanks. That would've been a disaster even if Romero made it. Being forced to shrink Day into the film it is now was actually a blessing in disguise....

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Having read the OG screenplay, I'm with bass on this one. Let it be.

Administrator

England
    Only question this raises in my mind is why?

Romero should have retired after day of the dead, every movie he's made since then has been atrocious.

Norway
    Besides the original screenplay have too much in common with the Land of the dead movie. Same premise, just the treatment of the zombies are different.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    If they make it with the same grit and memorable ceazy characters as the original Day of the Dead, I'm all for it. But please, spare me the boring, cynical airheads from Land.

I agree that Land worked as a retelling of the original Day script. Bub became Big Daddy, Gasparilla became Kaufman. But the story was told from desperate outsiders landing in the middle of a rebellion of sorts, and the dark jungles and claustrophobic missile silos was just a nore interesting setting than the rather, unfortuneately, under-used streets of Philadelphia of Land. Now, I have no doubt that the story could work in an urban enviroment. There's just something about sneaking around dark, zombie infested jungles that creeps me the fuck out.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 08-Dec-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Vhh

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Original screenplay? No thanks. That would've been a disaster even if Romero made it. Being forced to shrink Day into the film it is now was actually a blessing in disguise....
    well said!!
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    totally in agreement. let sleeping zombies lie. I'm still in trauma over the last rema.... sorry, can't do it....

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    Old goat needs to be put to pasture.
    Time has past,......he blew it with the last 3 flicks
    SERIOUSLY

Gimme an amen.

DH

Undisclosed
    I really don't care if it's "original" just as long as it's good! Too much trash comes out in the zombie genre......

And Romero won't be a part of something if it's not his project. They tried to get him to direct some Walking Dead, but he declined.

He wants to keep focus on his golden projects....... too bad in a way. At least he could blame "Survival of the Dead" on being too busy

I also read on wikipedia that he was quoted as saying he wanted to make two follow ups to Survival, back to back if possible. Thoughs on that?

England
    I agree with the banned chap. Like Lucas, he created a timeless original trilogy that will stand the test of time and be remembered with great love and respect for generations...then proceeded to piss all over his work with another trilogy that wasn't worth wiping your arse with.

I simply don't care what GAR (or Lucas) do anymore...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    While the original screenplay had some good stuff, it had a lot of really bad stuff too. Cowboy Bub, with his six shooters. My god, if you though big daddy came across terribly on screen, just try and imaging cowboy bub and his six shooters.

United States
    Art comes from adversity.

As said already, if the original screenplay was put to film it probably would have stunk. Him having to wing it with such a tight budget made the film boil down to what was best, and it showed.

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."