Thread: Where would YOU go to survive the Zombie Apocalypse!

United States

Where would YOU go to survive the Zombie Apocalypse!

One of the things I like to do as I'm driving down the road is look at the different buildings, stores and houses imagining how well they would or would not be a good place to stay in during a zombie apocalypse. Are the windows too low to the ground. Does the building have a high fence around its perimeter, etc.

Just out of curiosity, where would YOU make your stand to survive hordes of flesh eating ghouls (sometimes aka. "relatives")?
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 07-Dec-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: edit
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States
    I wouldn't bother to make a stand. I'd hit the road and head for the upper thumb of Michigan. Low population density and I'd be surrounded by water in three directions. LOTS of cottages and summer homes to pick and choose to hole up in. Also, the specific city I have in mind has a population of just over 600 people....so, lack of people equals not too many zombies. Plus, to get there, you have to go thru rural areas with spread out homes and farm land (i.e. food), so LOTS of distance from major population centers. Also, lots of boats there, so a quick getaway via Lake Huron is an acceptable and doable plan, if needed.

This is all best accomplished for me if I make my way there in the early hours of the chaos, obviously. Also, its best if its "off season" when the poop hits the fan, ideally.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    where would YOU make your stand to survive hordes of flesh eating ghouls (sometimes aka. "relatives")?
    Ahh yes, x-mas is upon us!

I'm quite lucky as I live in a semi-rural location, I literally just have to walk to the end of my street and I'm in the middle of nowhere - there's mile upon mile of open moorland and I could avoid that initial chaos as society collapses. Actually my street is also pretty defensible as it's isolated from the main road that runs up the valley, and is separated by a small river so it has a natural choke point on the bridge - could either block it off or take out the bridge. There is a second way onto the street that would be the weak-spot, but again, there's a another bridge you could knock-out, so any wandering zombie would have to go massively out of it's way to find a point of entry and navigate a tangled mass of trees and undergrowth. The street also backs on to a cemetery (you'd think I planned to live here!), we're at the far end away from the main entrance, so you could secure the heavy iron gates and I don't think you would have too many problems. Regular patrols would take care of the odd one or two that might somehow find their way through, so I'm pretty confident that we couldn't be overrun due to our location - at the very least, it would buy us enough time to get our plans together and get the hell out. That's if the rest of the street cooperates that is... hmm...

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Well I live in the suburbs, so I'm basically screwed. But! I could hike down to the Manassas battlefield and go all Civil War on some undead assholes. Yeah right. I don't even have a bayonet...

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I live in suburbs too, other than hiding in my own house and hope they don't find me out i won't be able to do anything. Unless ofcourse something like I am legend type happens where they come out only at night then i can think of preparing to fight them during day time but keeping my hideout secret from them.

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    50's and Sixties hardened telco facilities.Don't forget food and whatever else.Prybars and giant bolt cutters a must.
    REMEMBER THE BELL SYSTEM?

DH

United States
    I kind of dig the shopping mall scenario IF you can secure it and IF you can defend from zombies and looters. Everything you will likely need for long term survival is already there including plenty of entertainment to ward off those "we're under siege" blues.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 10-Dec-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: edit

UK
    i live in a high rise at the top so ive always said if zombie outbreak happened (as long as my flats didnt get burned down), id block the stairwell off (like 28 days later), id have rope ladder for access out window and back in, then id take it from there.
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

England
    Stealth and silence are your friends...the more I think about it, simply being able to stay locked down and un-noticed somewhere for the first 6-12 months is the key to survival.

A small island with a secure building or two would be ideal though. I've always thought somewhere like Lundy Island off the coast of the UK would be ideal

type "Lundy Island, Bideford" into google maps and let me know what you think.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I work with finding various locations for films. I've got a couple I've thought of close by.

There's closed down military facility not far from where I live (20 minute drive tops). It's basicly a fenced off area that's been bought up by Volvo and used for nothing in particular at the moment. On the surface level there's around 10-15 buildings in various stages of decay - about 5 of them are still in good shape, the rest are beyond salvation - but the real treat is the large, Day of the Dead-esque underground base. You could easily fit thousands of people down there, should the need arise, and there's power and water going in there as well. So what you've got is a huge walled in surface area with fields, woods and roads, lying on top of an old military installation that was essentially never used before it was abandoned and bought up by a private sector. There's no food there, so you'd need to salvage what you need and bring it there. But it's the perfect place to get your ground and start anew. "Romero" zombies, that can't climb the fences we see in Day, wouldn't be able to get in. More "modern zombies" might be able too... But the tunnels can be locked off from the surface with ease, through heavy blast doors, and the tunnels can lead you out of the walled off area in various different directions.

There's also an old medieval fort not to far from here. Maybe a 30 minute drive. It's naturally designed to ward off invaders. That includes 10-20 meter high walls and few entry points. The entry points are all easily blocked and locked, and they're also designed to be lower than the average human. This was meant to force invaders to lean down when passing through them, so that they emerge head first on the other side, and that's when you club them. Worked on the Danes, and it'll work on the zombies!

So either of those two places. The old fort / castle is on the outskirts of a small town, however, so it'll probably draw a fair number of hungry zeds toward it at any sign of activity.

United States
    That's one of the great things about Europe. Everywhere you turn there's yet another castle.

The oldest "fort" I've encountered here in the states was when I was living in New Hampshire. It's called "Old Fort #4", a pre-revolutionary fort that was the furthest northern outpost in that time period. Nothing fancy, just 15 inch (38.1 cm) thick tree trunks standing vertically about 6 inches apart constructed in a circle. There were one or two entrances, I don't recall at the moment. The idea apparently was that when the fort was attacked, the defenders would just walk up to the wall and fire straight through the narrow gaps at ground level. I believe that the wall was perhaps 12 feet tall.

Then over in Texas, we have the Alamo... gift shop included.

UPDATE! Just checked out the "old" fort online to discover that the local town has coverted/restored the site to draw in tourists. It's been 26 years since I've been there and it looks as though they've been WAY busy in that amount of time lol.

http://www.fortat4.org/visitor.php
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 11-Dec-2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: edit

Dying

Undisclosed
    Home. It's where the guns are.
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    I'd probably head to a newer abandoned industry town, around my area there are a couple within a couple hundred miles. Towns that had single employers that were mills or smelters pull out and leave a town with everything you'd need to only have to semi-restart civilisation, sure you'd maybe not have electricity right away but you could figure something out and there would be ample securable shelter and food resources like fishing and hunting. Like gold river or ocean falls BC.

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    I know of a WW2/Cold War facility under a car park in Hackney. But I see a few problems with this:

1. If the power goes out, I'm f***ed
    2. Only one entrance = No escape
    3. It's in Hackney.... If you are from London, you will understand.

I think I'll just stay in Camden Town. Much safer...