Thread: Metro Redux (video game)

United States

Metro Redux (video game)

Picked this up out of the $20 bin at Wal-Mart. I originally played Metro 2033 on Xbox 360 many years ago and never got around to purchasing Last Light. I enjoyed the game but gave away my copy to my brother before I was able to go back through and play it a second time for the alternate ending.

Anyways, I am beyond impressed with how they updated the graphics. The controls still feel very outdated though. Since, I have already played it before, I started on the hardest difficulty which removes the HUD and help popups. I died three times in the first 5 minutes because I couldn't figure out how to put on the damn gas mask. So far, I've experienced way more "dark ones" that I remembered the game having too. For having completed the game once before, I can't really remember that much about it which is a good thing I guess.

I'll update this post with future thoughts as I progress though the game. Just wanted to share with everyone a great buy for anyone with a nex-gen console (PS4 or XBONE).

Super Moderator

UK
    I never played Metro 2033, but I did read the book (which was rather good, if needlessly long-winded). I did play Metro: Last Light, however, just a few months ago and enjoyed it very much. There's a couple of rough edges, but the atmosphere of the world is fantastic and the variety of locations is great. The gameplay was good, but there were a couple of moments that seemed unclear how you should proceed or exhibited bizarre spikes in difficulty that frustrated for a moment, but over-the-piece I really enjoyed Metro: Last Light.

England
    I'd never played these games up until buying the full bundle on Steam for £20 a couple of weeks ago, it came with 2033 and Last Light Redux and Exodus. I think at the time they originally came out I was going through a bit of fatigue with first person shooters so I never bothered, but now having completed 2033 and Last Light realised they are very good and atmospheric games and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm now on with Exodus which is what I was really looking forward to as there currently aren't that many games that showcase what my new RTX3080 is capable of, and the ray tracing and DLSS is indeed impressive.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I'd never played these games up until buying the full bundle on Steam for £20 a couple of weeks ago, it came with 2033 and Last Light Redux and Exodus. I think at the time they originally came out I was going through a bit of fatigue with first person shooters so I never bothered, but now having completed 2033 and Last Light realised they are very good and atmospheric games and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm now on with Exodus which is what I was really looking forward to as there currently aren't that many games that showcase what my new RTX3080 is capable of, and the ray tracing and DLSS is indeed impressive.
    I played Exodus early last year and while I overall enjoyed it, I did find numerous little things that just pissed me off - like those feckin' row boats!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 10-Mar-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Never played this. But can't wait for STALKER 2.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I played Exodus early last year and while I overall enjoyed it, I did find numerous little things that just pissed me off - like those feckin' row boats!
    I'm only in the first bit after leaving Moscow where the train has stopped short of the bridge and there's the cultists in the old church (does every post apocalyptic game/film/series have to have cults?) and bandits occupying the other parts but have used the rowing boats a few times. I've just done the part in the flooded rail terminal building where that enormous mutated fish keeps trying to knock you and other enemies into the water to chew on.

Back to the ray tracing though, it looks amazing in places where you get proper reflections in the water and realistic shadows being cast by all objects. Also the refraction of light in water is very impressive looking, including in the ripples on the surface. It's currently a bit of a gimmick but will of course be industry standard going forward as the general public catch up on the tech. I've even gone back to playing Minecraft in RTX mode recently just to play around with the lighting effects in it.