Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Man's Sky (console game) - Procedural space game

Administrator

England

No Man's Sky (console game) - Procedural space game

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    I stumbled on this last night funnily enough. It looks like it should be ace - though someone needs to mod it with a Star Wars re-skin at some point!

Administrator

England
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ng-no-mans-sky

Hope this comes to the PC, and then the modding community can get involved
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    It is looking good. Is it space RTS game like Star Quest 2?

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    It is NOT a PS4 exclusive. It will come to the PC - http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-.../1100-6421442/
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    So reviews are already appearing from individual(s) running illegal early copies.

Turns out one review is from someone who bought it off ebay for $1300!

Bet Sony would love to find out where that leak was!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    The guy who leaked it also says it can be finished in 30 hours.

Meh...
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    While this game looks awesome, it also doesn't look like there's anything to do. Why would anyone want to spend 1300 dollars for it? I mean, I can tell just by the trailers I'll be blown away for the first couple of hours and then eventually start to get a feeling of... "Well, now what?"

Administrator

England
    So anyone got/getting this?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Gonna hold off until I see more about it. Might pick it when the price drops.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm definetly picking it up once it gets released for PC.
    Don't know when that is tho.

Looking forward to Skyrim Enhanced Edition this fall too.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I got the game. It got a PC release on Friday. I bought it.

It's a nice game. But to be honest, here's my honest thoughts on this:

This is Spore 2. Not that it's similar to Spore in it's scope or themes (except Spore's final space exploration part) but this game was hyped so much by everyone - and most of all the fans and that smug ass game designer who we've all seen getting interviewed. With all that hype, there's simply no way this game could be anything other than a disappointment. And in some ways, it really is. But not really for me. I sort of got what I expected - a nice space simulator where you travel from planet to planet and look at crazy stuff that some random seed generator throws at me. That's pretty much what it is. There's a small variety of planet types, but many of them are quite similar to each other. One dead rock is gonna be just like any other. Sometimes you stumble upon something unique but most jungle planets are a mix of purple and green, whereas most dead rocks are a mix between grey and brown. That's pretty much it. I've never encountered a cliffy lava planet, an ice covered snowstorm of a planet or a desert planet where the dunes stretch out endlessly. It's mostly rocky or jungle. The alien life is wholly uninteresting. I got chased by underground crabs on my first planet before I had a gun, but that was it. I've never stumbled upon t-rex like creatures that have given me a run for my money. The critters mostly just skitter around doing nothing like the dumb Spore knock-offs that they are.

The game is about collecting resources. From these resources you can craft stuff to constantly improve your ship, weapon or suit. To craft something you need a recipe of it. The problem is that an improvement costs an inventory slot, and these are VERY limited. Furthermore, most improvements are Meh, at best. Why should I improve my life support system to hold more air, when the resources that I recharge my life support with is ridiculously abundant on 9 out of 10 planets? In such a scenario, I'd much rather keep that extra resources slot for something else. Then again, improvements can be dismantled at will, so maybe you want to install something like that for a one-time visit to a lava planet or something... Not that I've seen any lava planets.

You could theoretically become a pirate and start shooting down everything you see, i suppose. I don't see any benefit to this tho, at least not yet. Trading is incredibly lucrative and more or less risk free. Dogfighting on the other hand is a nigh incomprehensible mess. Maybe you get better at it once you get better ships, I don't know.

So what's nice about it?

Well, exploring is fun and fairly easy. You can jump from one planet to the next in less than a minute with your spaceship and it's Pulse Drive. Each planet is MASSIVE and there's quite a few things to find on each. The game world features 3 intelligent alien lifeforms, each of whom have their own language. You can learn these languages as you find tomes, stones and artifacts in the wild. You can increase or decrease your standing with each of these races too, which can lead to positive or negative encounters further on. You encounter these aliens on space stations (every star system seems to have one), on research bases located on the planet surface or flying around in space.

I personally have always had a soft spot for exploration games and so, for all it's shortcomings, I am enjoying myself. But if you do not enjoy exploration, do NOT get this game because that's more or less all there is.

Oh and I forgot;
    There's no multiplayer of any kind. So don't get it if you were somehow under the impression that you could play with friends. You can't.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 13-Aug-2016 at 08:54 PM. Reason: edit

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Here's a link to all the stuff that was marketed being in the game but actually aren't. The post also includes links to where the Creators talk about said points in the hype leading up to release. Amongst them are:

- Multiplayer
    - Factions
    - Faction vs. Faction space battles
    - Advanced solar systems built on simulated physics

I'm done with this game. There's nothing to do in it.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 20-Aug-2016 at 02:21 PM. Reason: fdsfs

Administrator

England
    Oh dear
    -Carl Sagan