Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So are we in agreement the last 4 or so epsiodes S04E04 -> S04E08 have been the best?

Administrator

England

So are we in agreement the last 4 or so epsiodes S04E04 -> S04E08 have been the best?

So are we in agreement the last 4-5 epsiodes S04E04 -> S04E08 has been the best consecutive group of episodes of the entire series?

There's been other 2-3 episode highlights? But this many in a row?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So are we in agreement the last 4-5 epsiodes S04E04 -> S04E08 has been the best consecutive group of episodes of the entire series?

There's been other 2-3 episode highlights? But this many in a row?
    To me, it's probably the best run of episodes we've had, and, in my opinion, they are all more or less near the top on an individual basis.

We should do a poll on it. If only I weren't so lazy, and someone who likes to make polls came along and did it...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    I can honestly say, in my opinion, season 4 has been the best season of TWD so far. Ive loved every single episode.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've really enjoyed it, but I think the first six episode season wins as the most engaging episodes in a row. A few years back I wouldn't have said that because of 104(Vatos), but that episode has really grown on me. Season One is basically a really good extended movie, imo.

United States
    I loved season 4 so far, with the exception of him(The Guv) turning into Forrest Gump in that one episode.
    Other than that, I'm pleased as punch. Now, I just need to put myself in a two month coma...

United States
    I think every series finds their legs by the 3rd or 4th season. If you are a Star Trek TNG fan, you can recall that the first couple of seasons were stiff... until Riker grew a beard, they killed off Tasha Yar and let Warf grow his hair longer.

I think TWD will be consistently hitting the mark now that Rick grew a beard, they killed off Lori and let Carl grow his hair longer.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 09-Dec-2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: edit
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States
    Season 4 is definitely my favorite so far.

Tons of Walkers, great character development, cool side characters, great action, intense moments, it really does have everything. No character truly feels wasted or just left to linger in the background. All this and the very best episode ever("Too Far Gone"), make this season at the break the best and most faithful to the source material.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Dying

United States
    I'd say Season 4 has been the best so far. Can't wait for the second half of it, either. The post-prison stuff with Rick and Carl should be pretty powerful stuff. if done right. They have a lot of potential with all the survivors scattered.

I really enjoyed the horror elements of the sickness - reminded me of the horror / propaganda nuclear war flicks, like The Day After and Threads. And c'mon, that mid season finale is literally what all us readers of the comic have been waiting for the second the show was even announced.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    And c'mon, that mid season finale is literally what all us readers of the comic have been waiting for the second the show was even announced.
    Completely agree. I couldn't wait until the show got to that point.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Why just the last 4/5 episodes? Why not the whole first half of season four? It's been a consistently awesome run of episodes and I'm pleased as punch with the last two months' worth of TWD. I can't wait to have a marathon re-run through those eight soon.

They've found a really cool groove with these eight episodes, and I trust that the back half also displays the same killer vibe. It's been pretty ruddy perfect so far.

The first three seasons all have their strong and weak points, but season 4A has been the most consistent and highly enjoyable run of episodes ... possibly out of the entire show bar season one, which is like bassman said, kind of like an extended movie - a contained story that's pretty tight in its telling, even if it had to figure a couple of things out along the way.

Really pleased with season 4A - bring on 4B!!!

England
    Season 4 has set the benchmark as far as I am concerned. It had everything I wanted, kept me very interested and most importantly, kept me very entertained.

Some here have also mentioned consistency, and they are spot on, this season has been rock solid...writing, pacing, acting, action, drama, storyline, character development...the lot!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    I loved ep 1-5 & 8 this season. 6 & 7 were needed but felt like a waste of 2 episodes. 1 episode would have done it or even a bunch of cold opens.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Undisclosed
    I have to agree Season 4 is fantastic. I will admit, I was a little worried when they did the back to back episodes of the Gov. but when you add up the entire story, it all worked out beautifully. I am going through withdrawal. I just hope I can make it to February. Thank God for the holidays to keep me busy. Call me crazy if you'd like but I quite honestly believe this is the best show on television. I could NOT be a bigger fanboy.

Super Moderator

UK
    @zomtom ... haha, I know how you feel ... but as you say, the plus side is the holiday season, which chips off a good chunk of the waiting time by distracting we TWD fans with presents and vast meals and booze and telly.

@kidgloves ... I don't think a bunch of cold opens for TG would have worked. It would have been too chopped up, and I was thankful for the little holiday away from the prison, it shook things up a bit at just the right time. Cutting back-and-forth between two camps has also proven to be problematic as-seen in season 3, so getting some undistracted time with TG to tell his story was a good idea I feel. I think it would have been too rushed to cram all that stuff into one episode, and you want to get your money's worth out of the character before he's snuffed out, so I think they balanced it right. We needed enough time to give a stuff about Meghan, Lilly, and Tara, and we needed enough time to see TG struggle with his inner demons - to try and turn himself around, but to then inevitably fall back into the cold dark abyss where his heart should be.

Hopefully we don't feel too 'chopped up' in the back-half with the group being scattered into around about five different groups IIRC ... they'll possibly get that down to three separate groups at most almost immediately to not be so scattered, or maybe everyone will team-up except for Rick & Carl. Hopefully - and possibly - episode 4x09 will just be Rick & Carl, and then 4x10 can bring in the other members of the group is a nicely balanced bit of back-and-forth (e.g. the three story strands of 4x01 worked very well together).

Speaking of 4x01's balancing act, there was always something going on ... always something interesting ... and even the quieter moments held inherent peril (Rick & Clara) compared to the big, bombastic Big Spot scenes which combined action and horror very well indeed. The episode had a good rollercoaster feel to the pace and tone that felt natural, unlike in 3x04 which - while one of the best episodes of the show - had some horrible pacing issues with the cutaways to Woodbury. Going from main characters dying horrible deaths to flippin' map reading, golf, and drinking just didn't cut it. The scenes were good on their own, but their slow pace and low-on-peril nature was totally mis-matched with the truly shocking, adrenaline-pumping scenes at the prison. It seems they've learned from that, which I'm happy about.

Undisclosed
    Though they will likely never beat the first three episodes of season one (can't get over Vatos), to me, this season's first half has been the greatest run they had.
    I especially like the two 'governor episodes' as they captured the feel and despair of the apocalyptic setting really well.
    I did a mini marathon watching episodes 3 to 8 in one run and, as shootem wrote elsewhere on the forum, the series really benefits from this.

Can't wait for the next half.