Thread: Doom turns 20 today

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Doom turns 20 today

On the 10th of December, 20 years ago, Doom was released to the public. Without a doubt, it's my all-time favorite game. Nothing even comes close. To this day, I still fire it up at least a couple of times a week and the only other forum I visit is a Doom related one. I'd play Doom over any new FPS game any day of the week. It's not scripted, it's non-linear. It's not realistic, it's all about gameplay. It's all about fun. Simple game mechanics that work so well. It's the best game to just dive in for 30 minutes or so. It's been a good 20 years, and here's hoping for 20 more.

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    Wolfenstein (first FPS shooter?) was out earlier I think.That was kind of like my first game on PC aside from those commander keen and breakout or galaxian type sharewares.I bought a 386 in 1991.

All those hidden shoot to open doors drove me nuts.

ETA Don't forget IDDQD (Doom pre-patch or was it Doom II?)

DH
    Last edited by Darkest Hour; 11-Dec-2013 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Oh and

Administrator

England
    It was a truly amazing game for its time!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Fantasy maestro Terry Pratchett decided to applaud the game's approach to the problem of evil: "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil," he said, "Prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun."
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ospective-doom

Ireland
    Loved both 'Wolfenstein' and 'Doom'.

They felt like stellar leaps in game design when I first played them.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    I absolutely loved Doom, I remember seeing a few PC version screenshots in a gaming magazine when it was first announced it would be getting released on the Sega 32X and becoming obsessed with it, I was probably around 12 or 13 at the time. When I finally got to play it I was in awe of it, my mate got a 32X for Christmas and we both played it solidly for months (even though that version only had like 10 levels). Eventually I got an Atari Jaguar so played it to death on there, and then another couple of years later I got a PS1 and the version on there had Doom 1 & 2 rolled in to one game, the graphics were on par with the PC version too. I thoroughly blame that game for the obsession with gore and occult stuff I had in my teens!

Check this out, if Doom was made today, so true, modern games have no soul