Thread: Vampires: Fact or Fiction?

Fresh Meat

Aaland

Vampires: Fact or Fiction?

I have a friend of mine at school wondering if vampire are fact or fiction. Of course, she has read the book Twilight (I, as well, have read the book [I read the entire series]) and this is where the bulk of her wondering came from. Before, during, and after reading the book/series I had a mild obsession of vampires, though my friend is obsessed. At the moment she is sitting near me and she is wondering what other people think about vampires. Personally I think that vampires are fiction, maybe based on some string of fact, but I believe vampires do not exist. My friend on the other hand has not made up her mind and would like some opinions.

Super Moderator

United States

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by gemian View Post
    I have a friend of mine at school wondering if vampire are fact or fiction. Of course, she has read the book Twilight (I, as well, have read the book [I read the entire series]) and this is where the bulk of her wondering came from. Before, during, and after reading the book/series I had a mild obsession of vampires, though my friend is obsessed. At the moment she is sitting near me and she is wondering what other people think about vampires. Personally I think that vampires are fiction, maybe based on some string of fact, but I believe vampires do not exist. My friend on the other hand has not made up her mind and would like some opinions.
    Um, I won't dare step on your likes, G, because you're likely young.
    But while I can't figure out how the sparkly people in the Twilight books lead to such deep thoughts on Noferatu ( aka vampires. ) ... that's probably just my old age coming though.
    I've enjoyed the mythology and most of the media stuff about vampires for a long long time now (including a zombie/vampire story I wrote for this site called Preservation of A Species - http://fiction.homepageofthedead.com...adfiction=263H ) back in 2000 ), so if you have something specific you wanted to ask? I'm probably your guy.
    For myself, a vampire is either a straight on evil demon/souless human, or an abberation out of nature - like with Richard Matheson's book, I Am Legend. So let fly with the questions.

Wayne Z

Imagine awakening from your daylight slumber to find the world changed by this rapidly increasing population of lifeless but animate corpses whose simple directive, the gross consumption of warm flesh, threatened the food supply of their more intelligent rivals.

It took time, almost too long for the isolated bands of Vampires to find each other, to discuss with cool concern the dwindling numbers of human cattle which fell, then rose again as new members of the Walking Dead. Unheard of in their long history, the elder race began to plan, not only for their own survival but to decide how best to preserve Homo sapiens for the future.

From Preservation of A Species, Oct 2000
    Last edited by wayzim; 12-Dec-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: b'cuz

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    The greatest strength of the wampyr is that none believe in him.

Slippin on the banana peels of mysticism and all that.

DH

United States
    I don't believe vampires exist but I do believe there are psychos who want to be vampires. Have you ever watched an I.D. program or read a news story about serial killers who drink their victim's blood? That is scarier than any fictitious vampire story.

P.S. I loathe Twilight...
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3

Aaland
    Fiction. But fiction can be different, like Dracula which is classics, or Ann Rice's novels. But Twilight... girlish stuff.

United States
    And of course there's Countess Elizabeth Bathory who liked to bathe in the blood of her young servant girls. She was a real person but a lot of people thought she might have been a vampire because of what she did. Supposedly she thought it would make her look young and beautiful forever.
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3