Thread: Quick question about "State of Decay"

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK

Quick question about "State of Decay"

So, I've seen quite a lot about it on here and other sites, and I want the opinion of those people who actually play it....

Is it actually any good?

United States
    3 out of 5 stars for me

Well thought out game...The map is pretty large.

My only real complaint is the game keeps playing even while your not actively playing it. So for whatever reason....your not able to play for a week(or longer). You'll have to spend time boosting up your resources rather than progressing forward...and/or mad as hell because some of your survivors are dead. They may have patched the dead survivor thing thou. Seems like I heard they did. I haven't played in awhile.

All in all, I'd chalk up the experience well worth the $20.

Ireland
    Yeh, I enjoyed it. Well worth the tenner or so I paid for it.

I'd have liked some more graphic options though, like anti-alias, cos it can look crap at times and the controls can be a bit off.

But, the hunting-gathering aspect of the game is great. It would be cool if you could shoot human characters though. The car damage is a bit on the soft side, but I think there's mods for that. There's also mods to eliminate the "zombie blips" on the radar, which is good. I also would let a character die if they were bitten. In other words, If a zombie got a character I wouldn't fight back, which meant that that character was lost. It made for some really tense moments.

I was going to get the 'Breakdown' DLC, but when I heard that it just repeats the same map over and over, I lost interest. I'd really like to see some more maps for the game. In theory, the company who makes 'State of Decay' could milk some real money out of extra DLC maps.

It's probably the best example of its type.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    I've played the hell out of it. For £10 well worth the price!

There's some rough edges to it, and you'll find yourself looking online for help how to play it as the in game help is non-existent. But there's enough good fun in there to out weigh all that IMHO!

I just wish they'd put more locations/content/places of interest tucked away in that vast map (eg: Come hidden cabins or caves etc).
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I stuck with it after initially being unimpressed and it does get good, there's some tense moments when you're searching a house in the dark and you hear the smash as zombies start coming through the windows! The map is a little sparse though, one fairly big town and a couple of what I would call villages, the rest is just shacks out in the fields. The graphics serve their purpose and every now and again look surprisingly good, but on the whole they are a bit rough and should be a lot better. Well worth playing though, there is a lot of gameplay in there once you figure out what you're supposed to be doing and it does create a good zombie apocalypse atmosphere.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I stuck with it after initially being unimpressed and it does get good, there's some tense moments when you're searching a house in the dark and you hear the smash as zombies start coming through the windows! The map is a little sparse though, one fairly big town and a couple of what I would call villages, the rest is just shacks out in the fields. The graphics serve their purpose and every now and again look surprisingly good, but on the whole they are a bit rough and should be a lot better. Well worth playing though, there is a lot of gameplay in there once you figure out what you're supposed to be doing and it does create a good zombie apocalypse atmosphere.
    I still plan in some 3-4hr window of time I have to get 3 characters and do a couple of long hikes across remote areas... Just to what's there... It's a shame the answer will almost certainly be, "nothing"
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    i began following this game back when it was just a concept, and it had my hopes very high. aside from the decision to drop the co-op, i was not let down.

with all the holiday sales and free "games with gold" promotion going on, my back catalog of unfinished games is growing beyond belief, and i've not had much time to get back into this much lately, but it's definitely gonna get another play-thru from me sometime soon down the road.

i stand by my assessment that it's the one of the best zombie games i've ever played, along with tt's the walking dead series and the original dead rising....those are 3 different games with very different mechanics and gameplay, though. as far as zombie-apocalypse-simulators go, though, this is the king of the hill, well worth the 20 dollar price tag, even better if you can get it at a discount.