Thread: Is Evil Dead a remake or a sequel?

Fresh Meat

Aaland

Is Evil Dead a remake or a sequel?

I'm not a huge fan of the Evil Dead movies but I liked the second one and I thought the third one was ok. And I wanted to know if the new Evil Dead movie coming out is a remake or a sequel.

P.S. Don't mean and say stuff like "the first movie was called The Evil Dead so why would the fourth one be called Evil Dead" well the sequel to Alien was called AlienS.

Super Moderator

UK
    "Evil Dead" (2013, Fede Alvarez) is a remake and sits outside of the Bruce Campbell films entirely.

It wasn't awful, but it wasn't awesome either ... although I did like it all-said-and-done. There were some things I rather disliked about it, but I liked far more than I disliked (and I'm a huge fan of the original movies), so I was mostly quite pleased with it. There have been better remakes (albeit only a very select few), but there's also been many remakes that have been far worse.

Fortunately we are also going to get an Evil Dead sequel in the form of "Army of Darkness 2" (so it'll be a direct follow-up to the third movie, probably with a time gap following on from the original ending where he went too far into the future). It's being written at the moment and the last I heard Sam Raimi was on-board as is Bruce Campbell.

I also think there are plans for a sequel to the 2013 remake, although that's on the back burner at the moment as AoD2 comes first.