Thread: Alien Isolation (fps survival horror with Ellen Ripley's daughter)...

Super Moderator

UK

Alien Isolation (fps survival horror with Ellen Ripley's daughter)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWV0iwId19Y

Good trailer. It can't possibly be as bad as Colonial Marines ... they'd be fools to release another dud after the smackdown they received for A:CM.

In a way the premise is kind of pointless as we already know Ripley's fate, but even still, if it's properly put together it could be something cool.

Thoughts?

England
    Obviously its early but its already been done brilliantly in Dead Space.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Looks exciting. I enjoy well made survival horror games and this looks way better than that colonial marines travesty.
    Gameplay looks tense. Reminds me of Zombi U which at the time is the most exciting and downright scary fps survival horror game I've played.
    Graphics are, obviously, a lot better. But the atmosphere is key here. Love the idea you have to steer clear and hide from the alien.

Pleasantly surprised by this.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Two things I'd say about this game:

1) It looks awesome. Can't wait to play it with the Oculus Rift. As I understand it, you are stalked by ONE Alien as well, which is really neat.

2) It's funded / published SEGA. SEGA has a history of pushing titles to release before their actual completion. A:CM is one example and Rome 2: Total War is another. So don't buy this game until you read some PLAYER reviews.

I read a rather interesting article about how SEGA have somehow mastered the art of getting good Metacritic scores, without actually putting out a product worthy of those scores. Rome 2 and A:CM were both subjected to this. Reviewers were shipped with unfinished copies and essentially, only the things that SEGA knew the reviewers would go crazy about would be fixed.

Administrator

England
    Wow! What a very clever pre-order gimmick! If you pre-order the game you'll get two bonus missions featuring the 1979 cast! - http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ali.../1100-6420995/

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Cool!

Sega wants you to pre-order, tho. Their business strategy is to make every release so damn front-loaded with hype that everyone pre-orders... THEN, when it's released, they finish the game with patches.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    It's all well and good, but... no Jonesy, no sale!

Super Moderator

UK
    Also it seems that those DLC missions will be available to buy a little while on their own, so you don't even need to pre-order to get them it seems. Read that on ActionTrip.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Cool... The game will go on my Steam Wishlist then, and if the reviews are good, I'll grab it when it's dropped in price
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I bought this five years ago around the same time as I bought my PS4, got so far into it but then other new games caught my interest and I had to uninstall it due to the lack of hard drive space on the standard PS4. Anyway I bought an external hard drive a couple of weeks back and have reinstalled all the old games I never got round to completing and this was the first I went back to. It's hugely atmospheric and fits the feel of the first film perfectly. The Sevastopol space station is creepy and has a feeling of despair about it as you quickly find out that it is being decommissioned, and the only people left on there are engineers stripping it out and the Seegson corporation synthetic labourers which are of a much lower build quality than the rival Weyland Yutani ones and are malfunctioning. It doesn't take long to discover that something else is on board which has come from a ship that docked with the station previously with the flight recorder from the Nostromo...well you know what that means!
    It's a great game and probably the best game ever to come out of the Aliens franchise, although a couple of sections of it are so infuriating that fear of the invincible Alien is eventually replaced by rage at how unfair it is when you die for the 100th time. Mostly it's about figuring out the AI and how to trick it or sneak past it though, you can't play this game like a normal FPS shooter. I completed it last night so feel satisfied now after it had sat on my shelf for years. Well worth playing through if you never checked it out the first time around!

Ireland
    Aye, it was great game. Gets a little repetitive though.

Might fire it up again myself.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I bought this five years ago around the same time as I bought my PS4, got so far into it but then other new games caught my interest and I had to uninstall it due to the lack of hard drive space on the standard PS4. Anyway I bought an external hard drive a couple of weeks back and have reinstalled all the old games I never got round to completing and this was the first I went back to. It's hugely atmospheric and fits the feel of the first film perfectly. The Sevastopol space station is creepy and has a feeling of despair about it as you quickly find out that it is being decommissioned, and the only people left on there are engineers stripping it out and the Seegson corporation synthetic labourers which are of a much lower build quality than the rival Weyland Yutani ones and are malfunctioning. It doesn't take long to discover that something else is on board which has come from a ship that docked with the station previously with the flight recorder from the Nostromo...well you know what that means!
    It's a great game and probably the best game ever to come out of the Aliens franchise, although a couple of sections of it are so infuriating that fear of the invincible Alien is eventually replaced by rage at how unfair it is when you die for the 100th time. Mostly it's about figuring out the AI and how to trick it or sneak past it though, you can't play this game like a normal FPS shooter. I completed it last night so feel satisfied now after it had sat on my shelf for years. Well worth playing through if you never checked it out the first time around!

Just kidding

I only hear good things about this game!
    -Carl Sagan