Thread: Music tribute to Day of the Dead

Fresh Meat

Aaland

Music tribute to Day of the Dead

Hi everyone, I made a tune which is a tribute to Day of the Dead ('85, of course!) and posted it on my soundcloud page a few months ago, but hardly anyone has given it a listen. Hopefully I can find more of an audience here for it! There is a lot of dialogue from Day in it and some of the instrumentals from Day are sampled too, but most of the instrumentals are mine. I thought I was the only one who loved Day, but I just found this forum and I was surprised to see a lot of affection for it, so maybe y'all have a better understanding why I would want to make a tribute to Day of the Dead than others.

Anyway, here it is: Darkest Day of Horror, a tribute to Day of the Dead.

Undisclosed
    As techno goes, this ain't too shabby, shadyJ.
    And as I am a huge fan of the original Day, you gave good homage there. Well done, dude.

Wayne Z

Administrator

England
    I like it! Sort of like The Orb does Day Of The Dead
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Thanks guys. I thought I was crazy for making a song as tribute for Day, but when I was sifting through the bits and pieces section of the website I saw that someone had made an entire album tribute to Day! - and a pretty good one too. So either I am not crazy or other people share my madness.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
    Thanks guys. I thought I was crazy for making a song as tribute for Day, but when I was sifting through the bits and pieces section of the website I saw that someone had made an entire album tribute to Day! - and a pretty good one too. So either I am not crazy or other people share my madness.
    Oh, we're barking mad, every single one of us. And Neil's absolutely the chief lunatic, since he's been running this asylum ... uh, site, for well over ten years. So I think you'll fit right in.

Wayne Z

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    It occurred to me that I was at this same site years ago. I remember reading the original Day script with a midi tune playing in the background. I typically hated webpages with music accompaniment, but I liked the tune so much I let it play while I read the script, and it made for great ambience. Probably the only time I have ever let a website play music. So my questions are, how long has this site been in operation, and is there a way I can get a hold of that midi tune?

Administrator

England
    ^^ Site came online Feb 1997...

Old music - http://www.homepageofthedead.com/blood2.mid
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Thanks!

Super Moderator

United States
    I keep forgetting to give this a listen, will have to do better and remember to check it out!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Does anyone know who made that tune? I am fooling around with it right now, and I might want to put a remix on my soundcloud page, but I don't want to do it without permission as the basic composition is not mine.

Administrator

England
    It came from a game called Blood by 3D Realms (Duke Nukem engine).

It was remixed before but some other members of the forum, but annoyingly I haven't got a copy of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RluZuxrIh7A
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Thanks! Yes, I remember Blood, never played the original but I did enjoy Blood 2. It looks like Monolith Productions owns the rights to the Blood series now.

- - - Updated - - -

Screw jumping through a bunch of hoops for Warner Bros just to post a tune which only uses the basic notation of the original, I am posting it anyway. Lol I never got permission to sample from Day of the Dead either anyway. Here is the remix I did of that little tune from Blood, which used to be the website theme, I call it Unmade Day because that is what I associate it with. I hope you like it!