Thread: Kerbal Space Program (PC game)

Administrator

England

Kerbal Space Program (PC game)

Anyone else tried this? I'm just messing around with the free demo at the moment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xXh5pwvY20
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Yeah, I've has this for a while now, I've had loads of fun designing various contraptions and hoping they don't explode on the launch pad, lol. The more you get into it the deeper it becomes, it's a pretty hardcore physics simulation underneath the madness. Never managed to do a grand tour of the solar system yet (takes an awful lot of forward planning), and I haven't landed on the Mun yet either, though I have hit it... Great game for just trying out crazy ideas, (or just strapping on a dozen or so rocket boosters!), and I now know far more about proper rocket science than I did before I started - can't say that about many games. Yes, it makes you brainy! Kind of...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    I haven't landed on the Mun yet either, though I have hit it...
    Well, I'm in orbit around Mun now in F5 save game. Tried twice to land and just cocked up and exploded at the last second!

I think I need to see if there's lateral thruster keys? Rather then trying to point and use the main thruster. You want to be pointing vertical and just use lateral thrusts to remove horizontal velocity!

EDIT: Just found online there are lateral thrusters, keys, I, J, K & L... If these are always available - they were described for use during docking - then that will make landing a lot easier! Just reduce ground speed down to something very low, then point ship straight down, and just use I, J, K & L to correct any minor lateral movement, and main thrust to control descent! I'll swear while playing last night I hit the L key accidentally and saw something "jetting"... I hope I did!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan