Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TWD 4x09 "After" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto Vivente View Post
    I think some of the "Zombie Rules" from the 1st season have been reconsidered as the show moved on after Darabont's departure. Originally the zeds could breathe, going back to 1x02 one sniffs Rick and Glen as they walk past it, while covered in zombie gore. In season 2 it seems the ability to smell has been dropped based on comments by Nicotero.
    One thing I'm glad they got shot of was also in 1x02 - how they could climb over a fence - I've always hated that. Glad they dropped that. Much better in 2x13 where a herd builds up to such an extent behind a wooden fence that they eventually just break through with sheer combined force.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Well I liked it.
    Herschel closure (and really the best kind possible, considering his state at the time).
    Governor should've been a feast a la Rhodes from 'Day', but meh, I guess it's alright.
    I did notice Michone's new pets becoming domesticated super quickly, and it felt funny, but it made sense for the story to progress.
    Carl got cocky and it almost got him killed. Good life lesson for the times there. Also, who doesn't like pudding?!
    Rick... I'm sick of Rick... Sorry, had to be honest. Kinda wished he had turned, even if it meant Carl's death, which would be a shame, since the little bugger has been growing on me.
    Michone's dream! Oh my god, I could watch that over and over! Man, I totally understand her emotional deal a lot better now... Wow.
    Carl got new shoes. So that's good.
    What's gonna happen with Glenn and Maggie?!
    Yeah, thanks... Mmmm... I like tanks. Good ep.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    One thing I'm glad they got shot of was also in 1x02 - how they could climb over a fence - I've always hated that. Glad they dropped that. Much better in 2x13 where a herd builds up to such an extent behind a wooden fence that they eventually just break through with sheer combined force.
    Totally agree, a definite walker faux pas. It diminished that whole Rick and Glen sequence. With some minor alterations the tension could still be preserved, such as the ignition keys not being where they predicted, forcing Glen to search the corpse of a Fedex driver, therefore allowing enough walkers to converge on the gate and force it open. Maybe forcing the gate that quickly is slightly far fetched but preferable to the "assault course zombie", IMO.
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Norway
    I disagree completly, Darabount did a much better job with depicting zombies as a real threat and not just as a danger to the really stupid and or insane.
    In fact the weaker zombies is the greatest reason why I think the quality of the show has dropped.

England
    I think zombie rules should be simple, if a human can do it, a fresh zombie can do it (physical things, obviously, not operate a VCR or anything).

Sight, sound, vision, a bit of clumsy dexterity are all within the bounds of realism (when dealing with an absolute creature of fantasy). As the zombie ages and gets more ravaged by time and rot, these abilities would decrease rapidly until it was just a shambling husk, and eventually ending up totally immobile like the beautiful tree zombie.

This would give plausibility to the concept of the original zombie outbreak overwhelming the world, as the first wave in the first few weeks and months would be relatively fresh and mobile, and several years later they have become pretty weak and physically non-threatening unless in big mobs cornering people or catching them off their guard.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 16-Feb-2014 at 06:39 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Well said, Legion. I agree in full. Most logical.

Scotland
    All good points. The problem with 1x02 IMO is the lack of consistency. One walker can vault a 10' gate, but earlier in the episode they couldn't climb a ladder, i.e. when Rick meets Glen. I personally prefer the more disabling approach, but which ever one is picked, at least be consistent. Could it be that the more Nicotero was involved, the better the show became in this respect?

United States
    I say the Governor should have went out more like Rhodes in Day. I kind of expected it, and thought it would have been a great homage to a classic scene from a classic movie. The way he went out left me feeling sort of let down. It felt anti climatic...like sex without an orgasim.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    I say the Governor should have went out more like Rhodes in Day. I kind of expected it, and thought it would have been a great homage to a classic scene from a classic movie. The way he went out left me feeling sort of let down. It felt anti climatic...like sex without an orgasim.
    A homage to Rhodes would have been great.

Super Moderator

United States
    A really good episode to pick things back up with! I also like to see the survivors out in the world somewhat, though I wonder how quickly that will get repetitive and phoned in by the writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    The death of the Governor in the comic was great for several reasons, but I didn't need to see the Governor get torn apart, per se. The most important element of the Governor's death for me was that it came from...

one of his own people...at least coup de grace did.

Also, I loved how abruptly it all ended for the Governor in the comic. He's trying to reorganize and lead people to the very end and finally someone just decides he's a liability that would be better used as a momentary distraction.

In the end, I'm just happy we got a proper prison showdown and that the Governor is dead and gone.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Like Legion says - there would be some variation in the ability with the decomposition over time....

It's reasonable to assume also that there could be some variation in physical ability, between your average potato couch zombie and an olympic athelite - (perhaps that answers the question in 'Juan Of The Dead' as to why some of them move slow and some of them move fast ).

Re: Breathing - in order to grunt/moan zombies must 'breathe' - unless they just rely on gases from decomposition - but then how many of them belch?

If leg, arm & jaw muscles still work then why not chest muscles?