Thread: A Great Idea For A Zombie Book

Fresh Meat

Aaland

Talking A Great Idea For A Zombie Book

So, I posted in this forum an idea for a zombie book a while back, and after months of thinking, I think I have an idea that I think can actually be interesting. I talked to Colin M Drysdale and he said he liked my idea, but I thought that I should share it with you guys. After reading, PLEASE leave a comment saying what you think.

Canada, Year 2057. John is a man that was diagnose with PTS after the Third World War in 2053, which luckilly, wasn't as long and as worse as the others. Then, a zombie apocalypse spreads throughout the world. To make it worst, the streets are filled with non-stopping fall of snow and ice. The freezing temperatures are able to stop the creatures, but it's not over. The only safe place on Earth is a mall, and even though it's big and warm, it's crowded with zombies. John and a group of strange survivors have to choose: Should they face the snow and ice, or the flesh-eating walkers?

I think I have a solid and good plot here, and luckly I'll be able to write it well. I'm struggling a bit with creating the characters, so, if you guys can give me any ideas, I'd aprecciate. Thanks for reading, and be sure to leave a review!

Administrator

England
    Don't quite understand, "The only safe place on Earth is a mall" - Surely there's more than this one mall that's safe?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm not sure I think the plot is interesting or innovative enough for me to scramble for my wallet. Also, a mall has been done, has it not?

Maybe it should be set in some kind of Rural setting instead. Out in the country, where indoor space is much more sparse than in the city. You could set it up north, during the winter, when most of the day is covered in darkness.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I wanted to set this in small spaces, but since the zombies are freezing outside, I need a big space where lots of zombies can fit.

England
    I like your idea of the survivors having to battle the more dangerous foe of mother nature as well as the undead. In a zombie novel, i like it when other threats become more dangerous. even the simpler things like a diabetic that needs insulin is basically fucked. although the mall idea would scream Dawn, but if implemented well I'm sure it would be overlooked.

You say you're struggling with characters? Definitely this is the most important trait in any novelist is to be able to create original and entertaining characters. I think dialogue is especially important and the ways they interact with each other, regardless of situation. I can't give you personal tips on types of characters, just don't make cliche ones that have been done before (the zombie girl, the Rambo type etc) just make sure they have defining personalities. This is something that is the hardest thing to do so I suggest you spend ALOT of time in trying to really get inside their heads. The most hardy character could still vomit at the sight of a desecrated baby, why is that so? did they lose a baby themselves? Try and make them unique. Having conflicting personalities also makes for a more enjoyable read I think.

I'm writing a novel myself and the dialogue is my strongest point, so i would recommend on really thinking about how they react to situations rather than having everyone just shoot the shit out of the undead constantly. The UK MOD play a significant role in my novel and most of the supposedly hardy soldiers suffer serious PTSD, they are not the gung ho akimbo types that are really popular but unrealistic.

I hope this helps, I know how difficult it is to write characters.

best of luck with your novel.