Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: TWD 4x10 "Inmates" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Definately agree and it goes against the grain of the comic series its based on too.. Personally id love to see daryl bite it for this reason alone!
    Well, there's a good few episodes yet this season, so maybe we'll lose 1-2 of the leads!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Did everyone suddenly forget about Hershel? MAJOR character death in 4x08 right there that shocked vast swathes of the audience ... likewise with The Governor - another MAJOR character, who had been around for a good long while, killed off in 4x08.

Some of you folks don't make a damn lick of sense to me.

The time between character deaths in the show and in the comic aren't different at all.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Did everyone suddenly forget about Hershel?
    Who?

Yes, but the main characters have seemed too safe IMHO. Maybe it was the little oink just wondering around all cocky, and sleeping without a care next to his potentially dead dad last episode that's made me think this way.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Did everyone suddenly forget about Hershel? MAJOR character death in 4x08 right there that shocked vast swathes of the audience ... likewise with The Governor - another MAJOR character, who had been around for a good long while, killed off in 4x08.

Some of you folks don't make a damn lick of sense to me.

The time between character deaths in the show and in the comic aren't different at all.
    The difference is that in the comics, it feels like nobody is safe which is the idea they went for and its well done.

In the TV show, certain characters, specifically Daryl, rick, glenn, michonne.. feel invincible at times to downright unrealistic levels, theres no sense of doom at all. Like whats happening right now, in the comics, rick really loses it and you feel like this might be him now after the prison, for a good long time it dosnt look like he will come back.. in the TV show, he spends one night on the sofa, gives carl abit of a fright then hes fine in the next scene.

Also majorly pissed off they brought carol back, she has already outstayed her welcome and i hope she bites it before the end of season 4.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well they can't very well spend episode after episode of just showing Rick crying on a sofa. The viewers would get rather pissed off with such a drag-assed pace - it just won't work in TV drama, and there's certain rules that one must abide by in order to craft an effective screenplay.

A longer passage of time works better in a comic - e.g. in Volume 9 where the events of 4x09 were mostly plucked from (e.g. two pages showing multiple day/night cycles) - but in the show you've got to account for all the other groups in such a manner that not only do they all link up and cross each other's paths, but that it makes enough sense to the viewer. In the comic most of them got back together pretty quickly with essentially just Rick and Carl going it alone for a while - this ain't the case in the show with multiple disparate groups.

As for 'feeling safe', in the comic the characters dodge hailstorms of bullets all the time and survive without a scratch, so I don't see any real difference between how it works in the comic and how it works in the show.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Well, it's riot gear.
    The riot gear was taken from walkers... so it didn't protect the prison guards very well...

Scotland
    Couldn't the guards have been killed by human inmates as opposed to walkers?
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Norway
    Or they could have been bitten several times while out of armour making them put the armour on. I always thought that the first wave of the zombie virus in this setting were airborne anyway it is just that someone are immune to the airborne version anyway. Its just a theory though I am not that sure of it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    Or they could have been bitten several times while out of armour making them put the armour on. I always thought that the first wave of the zombie virus in this setting were airborne anyway it is just that someone are immune to the airborne version anyway. Its just a theory though I am not that sure of it.
    That is actually a very solid theory. That scenario certainly makes it more plausible for a Zombie apocalypse to occur. I just dont see how bites could cause it to reach epidemic portions.

Twitching

United States
    First, thanks Face & Others for the praise. Always nice to feel appreciated

Regarding Glenn and his breakout from the zombie pack while wearing the riot gear. Think back to that terrifying PoV shot showing what Glenn could see through the dingy visor of the riot helmet. If ever a human being was going to experience a surge of adrenaline/epinephrin that allowed them to exceed their current level of physical ability for a brief surge, THIS was that situation! Glenn is a veteran Survivor, he's seen numerous people torn apart and feasted upon while they were still screaming. Glenn KNEW deep in his guts that's what was going to happen to him if he couldn't break out of that mob of Walkers. So he put damned near everything he had into that breakout. Plus, let's remember it's only a scant few minutes later that Glenn collapses on the road while still in mortal danger...so we see him physically paying the Piper for pushing his extremely drained body that hard. As such I don't have a problem with the scene. I'll give you one more reason it could've worked out for Glenn as it did. Walkers are not team players. While they may all be focused on the same prey, it's X # of individuals trying to bring said prey (in this case Glenn) down, rather than a collective cooperating amongst themselves.

Plus, let's remember that quite some time has gone by at this juncture...and the setting is Southern Georgia. Walkers may well have some characteristic that slows natural decay, but environmental factors like heat and humidity would still take a toll over time. As would simple friction. With no cellular restoration occurring, the pursuit of Prey or even the much lower-key plodding along with a herd would, over time, contribute to physically breaking the Walkers' bodies. So I don't have a problem with a Survivor thrashing his way free of a small herd so long as they ALSO depict such a feat as physically taxing in the extreme. (Which they did.)

Not trying to tell people how they should feel about the episode, and/or this scene in particular, just offering my take as to why Glenn's escape isn't as outlandish as it might superficially appear.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    I don't have a problem with a Survivor thrashing his way free of a small herd so long as they ALSO depict such a feat as physically taxing in the extreme. (Which they did.)

Not trying to tell people how they should feel about the episode, and/or this scene in particular, just offering my take as to why Glenn's escape isn't as outlandish as it might superficially appear.
    Agreed. In the fight scene following the prison break, Glen is exhausted. I believe he runs into problems after he takes down his first walker, and if Tara hadn't been there, I suspect things would have gone differently.

I have to say, I do like Maggie's low-slung, Han Solo-esque pistol holster, it's just
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 01-Mar-2014 at 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    That is actually a very solid theory. That scenario certainly makes it more plausible for a Zombie apocalypse to occur. I just dont see how bites could cause it to reach epidemic portions.
    Same here. I've long thought that there must be something that dramatically elevates the mortality rate (besides people being attacked by resurrecting corpses) for things to get totally out of hand.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto Vivente View Post
    Agreed. In the fight scene following the prison break, Glen is exhausted. I believe he runs into problems after he takes down his first walker, and if Tara hadn't been there, I suspect things would have gone differently.

I have to say, I do like Maggie's low-slung, Han Solo-esque pistol holster, it's just
    Pioneered by Carl "I made the kessel run less than 12 parsecs" Grimes...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Pioneered by Carl "I made the kessel run less than 12 parsecs" Grimes...

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    First, thanks Face & Others for the praise. Always nice to feel appreciated

Regarding Glenn and his breakout from the zombie pack while wearing the riot gear. Think back to that terrifying PoV shot showing what Glenn could see through the dingy visor of the riot helmet. If ever a human being was going to experience a surge of adrenaline/epinephrin that allowed them to exceed their current level of physical ability for a brief surge, THIS was that situation! Glenn is a veteran Survivor, he's seen numerous people torn apart and feasted upon while they were still screaming. Glenn KNEW deep in his guts that's what was going to happen to him if he couldn't break out of that mob of Walkers. So he put damned near everything he had into that breakout. Plus, let's remember it's only a scant few minutes later that Glenn collapses on the road while still in mortal danger...so we see him physically paying the Piper for pushing his extremely drained body that hard. As such I don't have a problem with the scene. I'll give you one more reason it could've worked out for Glenn as it did. Walkers are not team players. While they may all be focused on the same prey, it's X # of individuals trying to bring said prey (in this case Glenn) down, rather than a collective cooperating amongst themselves.

Plus, let's remember that quite some time has gone by at this juncture...and the setting is Southern Georgia. Walkers may well have some characteristic that slows natural decay, but environmental factors like heat and humidity would still take a toll over time. As would simple friction. With no cellular restoration occurring, the pursuit of Prey or even the much lower-key plodding along with a herd would, over time, contribute to physically breaking the Walkers' bodies. So I don't have a problem with a Survivor thrashing his way free of a small herd so long as they ALSO depict such a feat as physically taxing in the extreme. (Which they did.)

Good stuff there. I just enjoy the ride with this show and avoid being overly analytical, so that scene didn't bug me, but if I tried to justify it myself in my brain I hope I'd reach similar conclusions.

- Walkers are too stupid to work in synchronicity, maybe they are even a detriment to each other.
    - Glenn has a surge of adrenaline and pays for it later. (I thought it was implied he took a shwill of that liquor too, a bit of liquid courage to facilitate his escape.)
    - Walker rot...makes sense too, but it kind of conflicts with most walkers, who have seemingly been stronger this season. They're intentionally trying to "up" the threat level, what with the flu-virus zombies and a ton of zeds not getting taken down by multiple melees to the head (this has happened to Rick, Carl, Beth, Tyrese, Hershel, Daryl, Tara, and more.)