Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guardians of the Galaxy (film)

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Trailer looks pretty descent. Fingers crossed for the movie.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Too many clips, too many trailers. I think they've sold this movie enough as it is.

I wish Hollywood would stop doing this - how about not trailing a movie more than a year in advance? Or how about spacing out the trailers further during that long, extended, gargantuan lead-in time, and how about not showing the whole thing before people have seen the actual movie in it's proper running order and context?

I've stopped watching trailers for this. It makes me wonder if they're going to suffer a Prometheus-style hype-train derailment ... hopefully not, and Prometheus didn't deserve it either as that's a bloody good movie, but the studio were idiots for showing so much of it off and hyping it so much ... morons.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Too many clips, too many trailers. I think they've sold this movie enough as it is.
    Yeah, they had me with the original teaser they released wayyyyy back.
    However...
    I'm a glutton once I get the bug for something. I will say that extended trailer was pretty huge. I probably should have skipped it, but I couldn't help myself. I will say I still have a good feeling about this movie, as in I'm not sure you could spoil it, other than spilling the ending. Anyhoo...
    The movie looks even more awesome. Bradley Cooper sounds nothing like himself, which is fine by me. Really haven't seen much of Michael Rooker, though. He posted a pic recently of him in makeup, but that's about all I've even seen of him. Weird.
    Saw the green chick in Out of the Furnace the other day. Not bad, and she's a cutie. I saw an interview with her where she mentions being in makeup for a few hours or so. How long does it take to paint someone green, anyway?!?
    August 1st, please hurry. I'm sure I will gush over this movie, but you never know. Hindsight hasn't kicked in yet...

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Amazing movie. Just got home from seeing it, and I have to be up in about 4 hours, but I just wanted to share that much. I had alot of flaming hoops to jump through to get to this, but it was all worth it. I will share those trials and tribulations later.
    I loved everything about this movie, and gush gush gush...
    Don't want to spoil anything, and I may just see it again this weekend. I would love to see it even outdo The Avengers, though I doubt it, but it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better. I can't believe we have to wait 3 years for another one.
    I saw this in a packed house, and everyone cheered, yeehawed, and cried together. It could make a shit ton of dough, and I hope it does.
    A+.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree with Ron. Guardians lives up to the hype and then some. An incredibly fun two hours at the movies. All the characters are spot on, the laughs keep coming, the dramatic elements ring true, etc etc. It's really amazing that Marvel took a chance on this off-the-wall "superhero" movie and made it work so well. It stood a big chance of being a failure but they nailed it down perfectly. I can't wait to see where they take these characters from here. Easily the best and most fun Marvel film yet. 8/10

For those that have seen it - the after credits sequence:

Marvel isn't seriously going to try rebooting Howard the Duck, are they??? They took a big chance with Guardians, but taking a chance on Howard is just insane. Surely this scene was just for the fans? Whatever it is, it works and all the comic fans in the house were cheering.

Administrator

England
    Question? My 7yr daughter? She very bright, but doesn't like scary monsters, eg Voldemort in Harry Potter?

This film OK for her or not?
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Question? My 7yr daughter? She very bright, but doesn't like scary monsters, eg Voldemort in Harry Potter?

This film OK for her or not?
    Hrmmmm....I wouldn't say there are really any very scary monsters in Guardians. A few could possibly tip toes on the border of scary for her, but I think she should be fine. There are so many light-hearted and comedic elements involved with the different aliens and monsters that I don't think she'd find it scary at all. If she can watch something like say Star Wars, then she's fine.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Hrmmmm....I wouldn't say there are really any very scary monsters in Guardians. A few could possibly tip toes on the border of scary for her, but I think she should be fine. There are so many light-hearted and comedic elements involved with the different aliens and monsters that I don't think she'd find it scary at all. If she can watch something like say Star Wars, then she's fine.
    OK - I'll think about it...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Question? My 7yr daughter? She very bright, but doesn't like scary monsters, eg Voldemort in Harry Potter? This film OK for her or not?
    The initial dramatic sequence might be traumatic for small children. After the Marvel logo though should be fine. PG-13 movie which means lot of action and explosions with minimal gore. http://parentpreviews.com/movie-revi...-of-the-galaxy

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Super Moderator

United States
    Damn, I loved it!

Great tone to the film, tons of fun and good laughs. It definitely stuck with me in a fun way and made me smile this morning when I woke up and remembered having watched it last night.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Good film! I enjoyed it. I'll elaborate later - but on the whole it was a big blockbuster film with a big heart, which is a lost art these days it seems (Man of Steel, WWZ, Godzilla anyone?).

Administrator

England
    Robert Downey Jr:-
    [Guardians of the] Galaxy in some ways is the best Marvel movie ever - and it’s odd for someone with, on occasion, an ego the size of mine to actually say that!
    TBH, I think Iron Man 1 was fantastic, and the story definitely far superior to Galaxy. But poor plot aside, Galaxy did have some great mojo!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    This is one time I'm going to wholeheartedly agree with him. Guardians was THE SHIT. The sucky part is waiting 3 more years for the next one.